The Cocktail Thread

jcr

jcr

Associate
currently having a Godfather.
1 part Disaronno 2 parts Whiskey.
im not a lover of whiskey and not really enjoying it.

the local supermarket were giving out tasters of Disaronno recently and i quite liked the flavour.
the drink maker has a few cocktail recipes on their website so im giving them a try.

Associate
currently having a Godfather.
1 part Disaronno 2 parts Whiskey.
im not a lover of whiskey and not really enjoying it.

the local supermarket were giving out tasters of Disaronno recently and i quite liked the flavour.
the drink maker has a few cocktail recipes on their website so im giving them a try.
I tend to avoid whiskey based unless you count baileys

jcr

jcr

Associate
tonight i have made for the girlfriend a cocktail called a Mudslide.
its equal parts vodka, coffee liqueur and Baileys.
its got a bit of a kick.

for myself its a French connection.
2 parts cognac and 1 part Disaronno.
it certainly warms the cockles :D

Associate
tonight i have made for the girlfriend a cocktail called a Mudslide.
its equal parts vodka, coffee liqueur and Baileys.
its got a bit of a kick.

for myself its a French connection.
2 parts cognac and 1 part Disaronno.
it certainly warms the cockles :D
Both sound decent, my sweet tooth would say the wife’s mudslide sounds the better

jcr

jcr

Associate
tonight im having a B-52.
named after the band not the plane.
equal parts coffee liqueur, Baileys and Grand Marnier.
its rather nice.
unfortunately mine came out looking nothing like the pic. so i just gave it a good stir.

jcr

jcr

Associate
tonight its something called rhubarb and ginger fizz.

25ml Rhubarb & Ginger Gin liqueur
100ml Prosecco
A splash of Raspberry Gin Liqueur
Garnish with a lemon twirl

someone kindly gave me some Edinburgh Gin liqueur, and this was a recipe on their website.

im not a wine lover but this drink seems to get better with each sip. can taste the rhubarb initially then theres a ginger aftertaste.

Associate
When buying your spirits for a cocktail, how premium do you go when it comes to purchasing. If your cocktail drinks cabinet was empty, what are your first 5 purchases

Associate
When buying your spirits for a cocktail, how premium do you go when it comes to purchasing. If your cocktail drinks cabinet was empty, what are your first 5 purchases
I go for medium-brand and what’s on offer. First set depends on what you like to drink obviously but for me:
  • Bulleit Bourbon for whisky sours/gingers/old fashions
  • Jose Cuerro tequila + Cointeau + bottled lime juice for margaritas (don’t forget the salt rim)
  • any vermouth (some Guardian article interview had someone saying cheap is fine) + Campari + gin for negronis.
That’s six, but you should already have gin!

Soldato
As premium as you want to go, as you (or your guests) are going to drink them. I wouldn't use a bottle of Clase Azul in a margarita myself, but I have used one for an Old Fashioned and it was wonderful.

Five bottles is a great place to start and narrows your focus to a bunch of cocktails, but you may have a specific taste in cocktails (Tiki, for example) which veers you off into a very specific of bottles to work with.

So... what do you like to drink?

• Jose Cuerro tequila + Cointeau + bottled lime juice for margaritas (don’t forget the salt rim)
Why are you punishing yourself like that? You've already spent some decent money on the alcohol, buy a juicer and squeeze some fresh limes for crying out loud!

Associate
As premium as you want to go, as you (or your guests) are going to drink them. I wouldn't use a bottle of Clase Azul in a margarita myself, but I have used one for an Old Fashioned and it was wonderful.

Five bottles is a great place to start and narrows your focus to a bunch of cocktails, but you may have a specific taste in cocktails (Tiki, for example) which veers you off into a very specific of bottles to work with.

So... what do you like to drink?

Why are you punishing yourself like that? You've already spent some decent money on the alcohol, buy a juicer and squeeze some fresh limes for crying out loud!
Haha I totally get this BUT it was a game changer as it keeps in the cupboard forever, you don't need to have a ton of limes in stock, and no faff juicing. Would defo garnish with fresh though ;)

Soldato
Haha I totally get this BUT it was a game changer as it keeps in the cupboard forever, you don't need to have a ton of limes in stock, and no faff juicing. Would defo garnish with fresh though ;)

You need Super Juice. The fact you have fresh limes and don't feel the urge to juice them is beyond my comprehension!

Cointreau is a brand of triple sec so yes.
Cointreau is technically a Triple Sec, but it is far drier than the vast majority of bottles labelled as Triple Sec - it's why they removed the term from the label.

If a recipe calls for Cointreau by name, use that. If it calls for Triple Sec, use that or add a touch of Simple to brighten up the Cointreau.

Back
Top Bottom