The current obsession with popping exhausts

Soldato
Have to admit, I love a good exhaust sound, really do... within reason. Having pops and bangs and all sorts of noisy crap on a 1.4 Corsa ain't doing it the same as a Jaguar F-Type lol.

I've upgraded my exhaust, but mine is basically silent considering in general driving then when WOT all hell is unleashed, but that's for when I'm playing. I don't drive around town in 1st gear acclerating then braking to sound good. Seems to be a symptom with Focus ST's at the minute, loads around here... infact one tried it on with the SRT8 last week and was left wanting so he can pop and bang all he wants, he's been beaten by an SUV lol. However, his GF acknowledged with a wave hahaha.

In all seriousness, just being loud for loud's sake and fake pops and bangs, I'm not into... it's like the stupid/pathetic simulated sound in cabin that seems to be a bit of a thing with cars making them sound better than what they are... but that's the kinda thing you did in the 80's/90's when you didn't earth your stereo and the sound came through speakers rofl :)

Soldato
Even the Merc V8s have fake sound in the cabin now. They are pretty much silent on the outside :/
See this I 100% disagree with... just simulating a sound, the only cars that should is full EV to at least make them feel like a car, but simulating sounds in real cars... if I owned a company that made cars and someone came up with that idea, I'd sack them lol. But then again I'm old school in my enjoyment.

Weird we're on sounds of exhaust, anyone watch Hoovies Garage? I've noticed that in Kansas they can run around WITHOUT any muffler/exhaust so basically they're like thunder. Now to me, this is also nonsnse as that's noise for the sake of noise, but asstounded that they can?

Soldato
See this I 100% disagree with... just simulating a sound, the only cars that should is full EV to at least make them feel like a car, but simulating sounds in real cars... if I owned a company that made cars and someone came up with that idea, I'd sack them lol. But then again I'm old school in my enjoyment.

Weird we're on sounds of exhaust, anyone watch Hoovies Garage? I've noticed that in Kansas they can run around WITHOUT any muffler/exhaust so basically they're like thunder. Now to me, this is also nonsnse as that's noise for the sake of noise, but asstounded that they can?

It's legal in a lot of the US I think and there are no real checks like MOTs. Some cars didn't even come with a backbox in the US, the Abarth 500 was one.

MOT was one of the things we got right because a lot of the cars driving around in the US are clearly unroadworthy.

Last edited:
Associate
It's legal in a lot of the US I think and there are no real checks like MOTs. Some cars didn't even come with a backbox in the US, the Abarth 500 was one.

MOT was one of the things we got right because a lot of the cars driving around in the US are clearly unroadworthy.

Agree with the MOT, but its a bit of a joke now as the roads aren't worthy. There a disgrace.

Soldato
At least in the US, when they make a nice flat road, it's nice and flat.

Here. Even a newly laid road, can feel like riding a roller coaster

Soldato
Even the Merc V8s have fake sound in the cabin now. They are pretty much silent on the outside :/

The new ones apparently amplify the noise from the engine compartment, so its the noise from the engine and not a fake sound. Ive not driven one but I dont think they are even close to being silent outside although they have quietened down a bit because of the particulate filters they have to use these days

Soldato
Its fake. Merc hire a sound engineer to create the noise. Sounds as terrible as the other attempts by other manufacturers.

Soldato
just simulating a sound, the only cars that should is full EV to at least make them feel like a car,
the feel of a car can be allowed to evolve though, in the same way a car probably felt different to a horse drawn carriage,
however with the roar of the tyres on an ev, I'd say, its approach, is indistinguishable from a petrol -- quieter tyres would be a game changer. (active noise sol'n needed)
at which point from a safety perspective will need to find a noise, so the zoomers on their phones aren't mown down by the Musk level 5.

Is the typical pop/bang merchant even listening to the noise, or do they have the windows closed and the stereo on 11.

at the end of the day its like bill killgore with the valkyries music, or the haka.

Soldato
Once drove an Abarth 595 competizione with pops and bangs map, for the first 30s of driving it I was: ah nice pops and bangs, 30s later then I've notice it would do this every time I came out of the throttle, didn't matter how quick or slow I was and it actually started to bother me.

After 5 minutes driving it I was feeling like an idiot and actually ashamed of it, I was trying to make the car not pop and bang, but it was impossible as it would do no matter what.

I really don't know how people can handle their car doing that all the time, it is really annoying even for the driver.

Soldato
There's a couple of Abarth knocking round here and they pop and fart all the time.

Neither of my toy cars pop and bang. Both have HKS exhausts. Impreza has Silent Power and Evo has one piece titanium. Evo is louder but not too bad.

I get harassed by VAG cars in the Evo a lot. Way more than in the Impreza. They pop and fart and bang as they race passed looking smug. Even had a RR Sport hanging off the rear bumper and disappeared in a cloud of black smoke.

And I'm the one driving the slightly shouty 90s rally car :rolleyes:

Man of Honour

As a C63 owner, I'll be the first to admit they are a long way from the glory days of the NA V8, but they definitely aren't silent. They still sound fantastic, considering the PPF is in there now. I'd say it's still one of the best sounding V8s compared to other V8 cars with a PPF fitted.

Soldato
Its fake. Merc hire a sound engineer to create the noise. Sounds as terrible as the other attempts by other manufacturers.

This is an AMG employee talking about the A45 and CLA 45 admittedly but I doubt the principle would change for other AMG cars/engines

The death knell has officially sounded for noisy performance cars,” begins Australian car website Motoring’s article on how the new Mercedes A45 S and CLA45 S are now quieter than their predecessors due to strict European regulations.

The article quotes the head of product planning for compact AMGs, Bastian Bogenschutz, who describes how new laws have forced automakers to resort to sound augmentation:

“It’s coming from the European regulations,” he explained. “We can [design specific exhausts] but it’s too expensive for every market to do it, it’s pretty difficult.”

“The regulations were getting pretty difficult for the sound to just come from the exhaust system,” he said.

“So we added the AMG pure performance sound, there we take the real sound from the exhaust system, the pulsation of the real sound and move it inside the car. It works together with the exhaust system.”

I dont deny its a crap thing to do and would prefer if they didnt have to do it at all

Back
Top Bottom