The dangers of Hip replacements

Soldato
Sorry for the morbid thread, but i was wondering if any of you have heard of this before, or at least may be able to suggest an alternative option.

Recently i watched a documentary called "The Bleeding Edge"

Filmmaker Kirby Dick examines the the $400 billion medical device industry and the profit-driven mind-set that rushes implanted devices into the marketplace with proper clinical trials.

The general premise of the doc is about a chap that is a highly active mid-40s orthapedic surgeon that has done hip replacements for many years..

He reaches the point in his life that he is cycling a lot and needs a hip replacement himself.. Knowing the industry and the options he decides to go for the Chrome/colbalt replacement as it is the best for younger more active patients.

The replacement goes well and before long he is back cycling and enjoying life again..

That is when things go down hill, he starts to have health changes in his life a few months after, these show up as essential tremors in his hands, similar to early parkinsons meaning he can't write anymore.. He starts to suffer acute memory loss and stages of delirium and apparent mental breakdowns.

As a doctor he does a series of blood test on himself after his family raise concerns, he discovers that he is suffering from colbalt poisoning.. He has the replacement replaced with a non-colbalt joint and all of his symptoms go away and his life returns to normal.

Later in the documentary he interviews dozens of other people who had the exact same experiences with the colbalt replacements and he offers a service for these people reversing the treatments and offering different options.

This brings me to the point of the thread (finally). My dad had a hip replacement about 2 years before he was diagnosed with Diffuse large b cell non-hodgkin lymphoma...

Prior to diagnosis he had started suffering from essential tremors, unable to write his name, memory loss, and delirium... there would be points that we would walk in to a room and he wouldn't know what was going on.. For somone is his mid-50s and normally so switched on it was alarming..

Doing further research in to colbalt poisining it appears that cobalt and chromium have been shown to be carcinogenic and mutagenic, my dads cancer first occured in the lymph-nodes righ next to his replacement site.

Unfortunatley he died of the cancer, but i was wondering whether or not you chaps think i may be on to something here or i am just creating a conspiracy theory in my mind? I am not looking to chase it up, but trying to make some level of sense and find some possible explanations..

Regardless, thought it may be an interesting topic.

Associate
I had a total right hip replacement in september 2016. It has made an immesurable difference to my quality of life.

The thing I fear most about it is the loss of effective antibiotics.

If everything goes according to plan I will need major surgery in sept 2036, then again in 2056, assuming I live that long.

Without effective antibiotics I am screwed.

Soldato
OP
I had a total right hip replacement in september 2016. It has made an immesurable difference to my quality of life.

If everything goes according to plan I will need major surgery in sept 2036, then again in 2056, assuming I live that long.

I can imagine that being a point of extreme concern, especially with antibiotics becoming less and less effective.. Saw an old aquaintence of mine selling his anti-biotics on facebook selling page the other day... -_-

Soldato
This might be a dumb question, but its genuine. What is the connection to antibioitcs? Why would they become less effective because you've had an hip replacement?

Don
You’ll be dosed up with antibiotics following a hip replacement to stop you developing potentially fatal infections.

You’re not wrong about hip replacements, I think it was titanium that is also widely used in hip products that are no longer used. Those that received them will be subject to regular blood testing for the rest of their lives to check it’s not breaking down into their bodies.

Soldato
It seems a plausible conclusion OP and I know I would look in to it further if I was you.

A bit odd that you would reply without addressing the points raised in the post. What material is your artificial hip made of?

Associate
It seems a plausible conclusion OP and I know I would look in to it further if I was you.

A bit odd that you would reply without addressing the points raised in the post. What material is your artificial hip made of?
I don't think it odd. I think titanium. I needed a new hip and they gave me one. My main concern about the op was how I would cope with the operations I would need in the future, not what I see as scare storeys about the material used.

Associate
Having re-read the first post of this topic I can see I was insensitive to dismiss it as scare stories. terley I can only speak from my own experience but the symptoms your dad suffered don't match with mine. I suppose I put my trust in big organisations like the NHS to manage risk with the materials they use for operations like this.

I hope you can find peace and I am sorry for your loss.

On a personal note, sometimes humans look for meaning or significance in events where there is none. idk. Sometimes bad things happen for no good reason. I can't think of a better way to phrase that sorry.

If you want to unload on some random person on the internet feel free to pm me.

Soldato
I can understand your concerns Terley and, having read Ben Goldacre's "Bad Pharma", I can see how poor testing is a major concern (seriously, that book is horrifying in some of the disgregard, corruption and lack of patient focus shown not only by companies but the regulators and I work in pharma) but you'll have an uphill struggle proving anything or changing the medical mindset. My father has had 2 hip ops. The first went perfectly and was about 10 years ago. The other was 3 years ago and has been a nightmare for him. I won't bore you with the details but he got an infection and the hospital admit he did but their official report states he didn't get it in hospital. It's a joke and my dad was able to give compelling evidence. I suspect the same would be true if you chased up your father's case.
Worse still is the fact that the microbes (after apparently being beaten back) went into 'storage' in his leg bone for 2.5 years before flaring up and he had to endure them taking his whole hip out whilst they dealt with the resurgent infection. Bad times.

Soldato
Sorry for the morbid thread, but i was wondering if any of you have heard of this before, or at least may be able to suggest an alternative option.

Recently i watched a documentary called "The Bleeding Edge"

The general premise of the doc is about a chap that is a highly active mid-40s orthapedic surgeon that has done hip replacements for many years..

He reaches the point in his life that he is cycling a lot and needs a hip replacement himself.. Knowing the industry and the options he decides to go for the Chrome/colbalt replacement as it is the best for younger more active patients.

The replacement goes well and before long he is back cycling and enjoying life again..

That is when things go down hill, he starts to have health changes in his life a few months after, these show up as essential tremors in his hands, similar to early parkinsons meaning he can't write anymore.. He starts to suffer acute memory loss and stages of delirium and apparent mental breakdowns.

As a doctor he does a series of blood test on himself after his family raise concerns, he discovers that he is suffering from colbalt poisoning.. He has the replacement replaced with a non-colbalt joint and all of his symptoms go away and his life returns to normal.

Later in the documentary he interviews dozens of other people who had the exact same experiences with the colbalt replacements and he offers a service for these people reversing the treatments and offering different options.

This brings me to the point of the thread (finally). My dad had a hip replacement about 2 years before he was diagnosed with Diffuse large b cell non-hodgkin lymphoma...

Prior to diagnosis he had started suffering from essential tremors, unable to write his name, memory loss, and delirium... there would be points that we would walk in to a room and he wouldn't know what was going on.. For somone is his mid-50s and normally so switched on it was alarming..

Doing further research in to colbalt poisining it appears that cobalt and chromium have been shown to be carcinogenic and mutagenic, my dads cancer first occured in the lymph-nodes righ next to his replacement site.

Unfortunatley he died of the cancer, but i was wondering whether or not you chaps think i may be on to something here or i am just creating a conspiracy theory in my mind? I am not looking to chase it up, but trying to make some level of sense and find some possible explanations..

Regardless, thought it may be an interesting topic.

I'm on the waiting list for my right hip to be replaced (I have hip Dysplasia) and this has just scared the ***** out of me

Permabanned
I'm on the waiting list for my right hip to be replaced (I have hip Dysplasia) and this has just scared the ***** out of me
Then don't be scared.
It's my job to rehab people with elective hips and knees I do trauma too.
Do we get people with infection,yes, inevitably but they're usually cleaned up in a matter of days.
Just make sure you practice your pre-op exercise, follow your post op exercise, follow your post op precautions and move often.
You'll have a new lease of life my friend, you will not regret your decision to have a hip replacement.

Soldato
Then don't be scared.
It's my job to rehab people with elective hips and knees I do trauma too.
Do we get people with infection,yes, inevitably but they're usually cleaned up in a matter of days.
Just make sure you practice your pre-op exercise, follow your post op exercise, follow your post op precautions and move often.
You'll have a new lease of life my friend, you will not regret your decision to have a hip replacement.

Ok ta, feeling a bit better now about it.

Soldato
I had my hip resurfaced 10 years ago and since then have heard various horror stories of them failing, Cobalt poisoning, revisions etc. Personally it's been great, no more pain and although I'm less flexible than I was, I still run and lift weights, play football etc with my six year old son and generally do everything I did previously. I did stop martial arts (my decision, not the surgeons) however as I didn't want to risk anymore injury.

I think ultimately that some people are better suited to certain procedures and also some people are just plain lazy with rehab. Also, research the implant and the surgeon him/herself, I went for a BHR with Derek Mcminn, he invented it so I assumed he knew what he was doing.

Back
Top Bottom