The Death of Free Speech? Roy Chubby Brown Gig Cancelled

Soldato
Councils refusing to allow Chubby Brown are within their right to do so, I just don't think they should. Every layer of public life has become nannying and divided. Groupthink abounds with some ordained behaviours untouchable and others beyond the pale. I doubt I'd I'd enjoy Chubby Brown but some do and whilst he is the right side of the law public facilities like council run buildings shouldn't enforce their moral or cultural opinion on others unless it is an explicit part of their founding charter/purpose.

Other idiocy like chasing sportsmen for the "crime" of saying stupid things on twitter when teenagers. Holding them to some ridiculous and retroactive standard.

Modern "tolerance" looks a lot lot bigotry.

Soldato
It was probably one person who decided they could exercise some power in their otherwise powerless lives to get something they don't approve of removed from public viewing. Council/Venue doesn't want the bad publicity or perceived bad publicity so folds.

Soldato
We can either be a nation of laws or mobs lead by billionaire corporate CEO's etc, choose one and remember if you choose the latter then the mob doing the cancelling might not always follow your way of thinking and one day you might be the one being cancelled for being black, homosexual, transsexual or whatever.

One day? History successfully rewritten.

Soldato
Sounds like it was venues decision so IDK , what about the venue's right as a business ? Gonna be a slippery slope this.

That being said , i am not for councils making this call unless it is illegal as you mention or crossing some line like inciting violence etc. Sorry not familiar with the bloke at all.

Surely the City Hall is under council control though.

Caporegime
p.s We dont have free speech in the UK, if you think we do youre very mistaken, we have the "communications act" not a 1st amendment.

We may not have it written in writing like the US constitution but up until fairly recent this country had a long tradition of supporting freedom including that of speech, when I was at school one of the earliest phrases all kids learned was "sticks and stones will hurt my bones but words will never hurt me". It's a shame that tradition has been lost by today's kids wiring their brains into social media platforms from an early age and now cheering on censorship.

Which country was the most censorious in WW2 btw? I'll give you a clue not the Allies.

Any media that conveyed anti-Nazi ideas or even other ways of life, were censored. Censorship of newspapers, radio, cinema and the theatre was enforced. Only books which agreed with the Nazi point of view were allowed. All other books were banned and many were publically burned from May, 1933.

Ring any bells at all? or is it just fine because they wrap it in a cover of hate, diversity and inclusion?

Soldato
If it was the council's (therfore the government's) decision then I agree, that is not a decision for them to make.

If it was the venue's , as an independent entitiy/business, then I wholeheartedly support their right to Choose who they have performing on their property (as long as the decision is not discriminatory).

No, Sheffield is majority Labour councillors and Lib Dem, only 1 Conservative councillor.

Labour, 40 (including 6 Labour and Co-operative)
Liberal Democrats, 29
Green, 13
Conservative, 1
1 vacancy

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/your-city-council/elected-representatives.html

Pet Northerner
Don
When I was at school one of the earliest phrases all kids learned was "sticks and stones will hurt my bones but words will never hurt me". It's a shame that tradition has been lost by today's kids wiring their brains into social media platforms from an early age and now cheering on censorship.

Living with someone with crippling depression in her 30s that has stemmed from years of bullying at school, I can tell you that phrase is utter ********.

Words hurt.

Associate
Living with someone with crippling depression in her 30s that has stemmed from years of bullying at school, I can tell you that phrase is utter ********.

Words hurt.

The phrase isn't a 'truth', it's a way of thinking, an attitude. It doesn't mean that no one has ever been negatively affected by people saying nasty things to them.

EDIT: to expand a bit, your last sentence is not universally true. There are a lot of people who don't get hurt by others' words. That's the point of the phrase - you just have to adopt the attitude that people can't hurt you with their words, which is something that won't work if you get hit round the head with a stick or stone. Easier said than done sometimes, but that doesn't make it invalid.

Soldato
We demand free speech, we also demand you force charities to do as they are told and have chubby brown on even if you dont want him on. Does not compute.

He's a comedian not a radicalised Islamic cleric spreading untruths, it's all about the context in what is being said. We need to retain the ability to laugh at ourselves, at irony etc and ignore what isn't funny to us as humour isn't meant to be funny to everyone and never was.

Permabanned
He's a comedian not a radicalised Islamic cleric spreading untruths, it's all about the context in what is being said. We need to retain the ability to laugh at ourselves, at irony etc and ignore what isn't funny to us as humour isn't meant to be funny to everyone and never was.

He is free to do and say what he likes, as are the charity.

Soldato
We may not have it written in writing like the US constitution but up until fairly recent this country had a long tradition of supporting freedom including that of speech, when I was at school one of the earliest phrases all kids learned was "sticks and stones will hurt my bones but words will never hurt me". It's a shame that tradition has been lost by today's kids wiring their brains into social media platforms from an early age and now cheering on censorship.

Well yea, Im not disagreeing, I was pointing it out because lots of people think we have free speech, when we don't.

I may not like Chubby Brown but he should be able to make his crap jokes.

Associate
You kinda just proved his point...

Well we can all only speak from our own experiences as we only (hopefully) know what's going on in our own heads, not anyone else's. If people find it helpful to adopt the attitude that we can't help how we react to bad experiences then whatever, but I've learnt that it's not helpful for me and if I can help other people through what I've learnt then I will. If this conversation progresses then I wouldn't be surprised if at some point someone accuses me of victim blaming, but that's not what I'm getting at. Sometimes bad **** happens to good people, and it's good IMO to equip people with the tools to deal with that rather than feel helpless. It's not like I've gone through life responding to every bad situation perfectly and I'm certainly not perfect now, but if we don't use past bad experiences to learn how to respond better then that's a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom