The Death of Free Speech? Roy Chubby Brown Gig Cancelled

Caporegime
Why can some comedians get away with it and some can’t? Jimmy Carr can be offensive, Micky Flanagan regularly takes off Africans and Indians, and Boyle can be horrifically insulting, yet they’re plastered all over the TV.

Soldato
I am not someone prone to the hysterical belief that 'woke' culture is taking over, but as a keen historian this most definitely has whiffs of certain fascist and Soviet ways to control what their citizens think.

What is next? Banning Church services because they do not reflect what the council's own beliefs are?Banning certain bands because they don't like their music?

Ahahahaha.

This is genuinely pathetic. To try and compare a trusts refusal to host a controversial comedian who is free to perform at any business that will have him, with state sponsored fascism and censorship? What is it with people desperate to want to pretend to be victims of oppression.

fez

fez

Caporegime
'I believe in freedom for everyone'
'so you support the business' decision to cancel the booking?'
'no, not like that'

This isn't quite how it works though is it and its a really ****** argument. Seems to be the common retort now when someone claims that freedom of speech is being curtailed.

Most of these places aren't cancelling things because they want to, they are doing it because they feel they have to or they will face a massive backlash and fundamentally lose more business.

They took the booking knowing full well who he was and they will have checked what he does. They then cancelled it because people (who have no interest in RCB apart from their perpetual state of being offended) pressured them into doing it.

The venue cancelled it because these powerful minorities deal in cancelling people. If the venue let RCB perform then these people will attack the venue. They will then go after anyone else using the venue because you are also clearly scum who endorse RCB and his comedy by using a venue they have deemed "problematic". This is how it works and why its so dangerous. Its guilt by association. Its the idea that if you are not with them then you are against them and if you use a venue that they have blacklisted then you are against them quite clearly.

This is where the problem lies. People aren't exercising their own right to free speech, they are being browbeaten into parroting the woke agenda. If I tell you that you will lose half your salary if you play football at the weekend and then you stop playing football at the weekend, was that free choice or was that external pressure "encouraging" you to do something you didn't want to do? I mean, they didn't force you. You could have kept playing football.

I don't find RCB funny at all but I have no issue if people want to go and see him. If people can't see that danger of pressuring people into adopting their world view under the threat of losing their livelihoods then my mind boggles. You don't have to agree with people to let them speak their mind.

Associate
Ahahahaha.

This is genuinely pathetic. To try and compare a trusts refusal to host a controversial comedian who is free to perform at any business that will have him, with state sponsored fascism and censorship? What is it with people desperate to want to pretend to be victims of oppression.

It's important to keep these things in mind though to avoid finding ourselves on a slippery slope. Society needs controversial characters because they're the ones who will call out societal and governmental BS when everyone else is just trying to fit in.

Soldato
Back in the 80s, RCB was funny if you were the type who could actually read The Sun, but still then had to have it explained to you... these days, he's not even that good.

Soldato
Why can some comedians get away with it and some can’t? Jimmy Carr can be offensive, Micky Flanagan regularly takes off Africans and Indians, and Boyle can be horrifically insulting, yet they’re plastered all over the TV.
Boyle has recently become insufferably woke, probably in an attempt at getting ahead of the cancel culture crowd.

Soldato
This isn't quite how it works though is it and its a really ****** argument. Seems to be the common retort now when someone claims that freedom of speech is being curtailed.

Most of these places aren't cancelling things because they want to, they are doing it because they feel they have to or they will face a massive backlash and fundamentally lose more business.

They took the booking knowing full well who he was and they will have checked what he does. They then cancelled it because people (who have no interest in RCB apart from their perpetual state of being offended) pressured them into doing it.

The venue cancelled it because these powerful minorities deal in cancelling people. If the venue let RCB perform then these people will attack the venue. They will then go after anyone else using the venue because you are also clearly scum who endorse RCB and his comedy by using a venue they have deemed "problematic". This is how it works and why its so dangerous. Its guilt by association. Its the idea that if you are not with them then you are against them and if you use a venue that they have blacklisted then you are against them quite clearly.

This is where the problem lies. People aren't exercising their own right to free speech, they are being browbeaten into parroting the woke agenda. If I tell you that you will lose half your salary if you play football at the weekend and then you stop playing football at the weekend, was that free choice or was that external pressure "encouraging" you to do something you didn't want to do? I mean, they didn't force you. You could have kept playing football.

I don't find RCB funny at all but I have no issue if people want to go and see him. If people can't see that danger of pressuring people into adopting their world view under the threat of losing their livelihoods then my mind boggles. You don't have to agree with people to let them speak their mind.

How far down do we go? Aren't those woke agenda people equally allowed their say for the venue to council to cancel RCB as they don't like him? Then the venue is free again to choose whether they listen to these people?
I do agree with that cancelling him was over the top but a lot of the 'freedom of speech' crowd. Want to have their cake and eat it too, to be fair so do a lot on the other extreme end.

Capodecina
Soldato
We may not have it written in writing like the US constitution but up until fairly recent this country had a long tradition of supporting freedom including that of speech, when I was at school one of the earliest phrases all kids learned was "sticks and stones will hurt my bones but words will never hurt me". It's a shame that tradition has been lost by today's kids wiring their brains into social media platforms from an early age and now cheering on censorship.

Apart from the fact that that phrase is bull****.

That's probably the reason why people don't say it anymore.

fez

fez

Caporegime
How far down do we go? Aren't those woke agenda people equally allowed their say for the venue to council to cancel RCB as they don't like him? Then the venue is free again to choose whether they listen to these people?
I do agree with that cancelling him was over the top but a lot of the 'freedom of speech' crowd. Want to have their cake and eat it too, to be fair so do a lot on the other extreme end.

If that was all that they did then thats fine. The problem is that it isn't.

Its the difference between writing to the venue privately and saying that you don't agree with them hosting him due to the nature of his comedy and going on twitter and trying to publicly shame them and drum up more supporters to do the same.

One is reasonable and the other is bullying and browbeating. The very things that these people would 100% say that think is abhorrent. Unless of course they are using it to achieve their goals because obviously in that case the ends justify the means.

Its like having a discussion with someone on politics who you disagree with and respectfully disagreeing and ending it there or going out and trying to tell everyone you know what a dick they are and how they believe X, Y and Z to discredit them. Most of these things are fine in principle but its the way people weaponise them to get their own way.

Man of Honour
He had also only sold about 300 tickets, for a venue that can take 2300. I don’t think many will miss him.

Perhaps it dawned on him that he’d make a loss, and HE complained about the show in anonymous emails.

Saw him once many years ago. Funny at times. Don't think he's as good these days though.
Too many delicate flowers around now that take offense at everything.

I’ve watched Jim Jeffries, Louis C.K., and Dennis Leary, Brown doesn’t have the intelligence to put on a show like them.
He makes you want to throw up as soon as he opens his mouth.

If they had a problem with it, why did they allow it in the first place?

He probably booked under his real name, Royston Vasey, and they thought they were getting the League of Gentlemen.

He's a comedian not a radicalised Islamic cleric spreading untruths, it's all about the context in what is being said. We need to retain the ability to laugh at ourselves, at irony etc and ignore what isn't funny to us as humour isn't meant to be funny to everyone and never was.

He’s a comedian? That’s a real stretch, I must have missed something in that case.

Maybe because with the possible exception of Boyle they can be offensive in a “more acceptable” way.

Back in the 80s, RCB was funny if you were the type who could actually read The Sun, but still then had to have it explained to you... these days, he's not even that good.

That post merits more appreciation that it will probably get.

Soldato
It's important to keep these things in mind though to avoid finding ourselves on a slippery slope. Society needs controversial characters because they're the ones who will call out societal and governmental BS when everyone else is just trying to fit in.

Keep what in mind? Venues are allowed to reject performances. This has always been the case and is not at all indicative of a slippery slope. I remember seeing Jerry Springer the musical at a venue that was being protested by Christians, if that venue decided to cancel it I wouldn’t be crying about the Nazi state and thinking I was being oppressed.

Associate
Keep what in mind? Venues are allowed to reject performances. This has always been the case and is not at all indicative of a slippery slope. I remember seeing Jerry Springer the musical at a venue that was being protested by Christians, if that venue decided to cancel it I wouldn’t be crying about the Nazi state and thinking I was being oppressed.

Keep the threat of totalitarianism in mind. Yes it's always been the case that venues can cancel performances and it should always be allowed, but it's not a road we should look to reach the end of. You can think what you like if events you want to attend get cancelled, but that doesn't mean that there isn't value in people speaking out about such things just to keep the level of censorship at a sensible level. There's nothing special about this society - it's just a collection of humans and therefore terrible things could happen to this one if people just shut up and go along with things, as has happened to others in the past.

Soldato
If people don't like him then don't watch him.

I'm an adult. I don't need big nanny looking over my shoulder.

It's this typical woke attitude that if you associate with someone who has politically incorrect opinions that its somehow a reflection on you. It's becoming like a cult because they can't even talk to people with different opinions these days.

Who would have thought in the 1980s and 90s that the Mary Whitehouse of today has pink and purple hair.

Todays generation should be the most tolerant.

Back
Top Bottom