The Display Cabinet

Associate
I've been working on Vandus Hammerhand the last few weeks. Here's a front and rear image. I've just got a few small details to finish off.

25ilu9t.jpg

Associate
Hi mate. Could you tell me how you do the cream, ribbony bits on that mini? Good job btw :)

I want to use a similar colour for some cloaks.

Thanks mate!
The ribbons were Based in Averland Sunset, then shaded with Agrax Earthshade. I then layered from Screaming Skull up to white.

The most important thing is keeping the paints milk-thin. Also use a pin wash to give some more definition to the lettering if needed.

I also 'tinted' some areas with a sepia glaze (really thin).

Soldato
Nice one. I'll probably end dipping my models as there's a fair few and I lack the skills and patience required! but will try and mimic that underneath. I'm ok with a bit of highlighting/shading, but when it comes to multiple different shades/layers something usually goes wrong!

Associate
Nice one. I'll probably end dipping my models as there's a fair few and I lack the skills and patience required! but will try and mimic that underneath. I'm ok with a bit of highlighting/shading, but when it comes to multiple different shades/layers something usually goes wrong!

Nooooooooooooooo don't dip them! The miniatures are far too expensive for that!
It's just practice in the end mate, I know it takes time but its worth it in the end! :cool:

Soldato
Heh i'll do my best mate, but there's 37 to paint! I can always strip them later as I get better. It'll just be a light dip, more of a wash/varnish really :)

Permabanned
Thanks mate!
The ribbons were Based in Averland Sunset, then shaded with Agrax Earthshade. I then layered from Screaming Skull up to white.

The most important thing is keeping the paints milk-thin. Also use a pin wash to give some more definition to the lettering if needed.

I also 'tinted' some areas with a sepia glaze (really thin).

What is a pin wash? I had a similar model and struggled to get it looking as sweet as yours.

Associate
What is a pin wash? I had a similar model and struggled to get it looking as sweet as yours.

It's a technique where you use a very fine sharp brush to apply a wash directly into a chosen area. So take a space marine for example, there are lots of little detail recesses in the armour which with a pin wash, can look very sharp and neat.

It also means that I can use more than one shade on the inside of the rune marks on the cloak of that Stormcast model. The initial wash shades the whole rune, but he pin wash can be applied right into the corners and edges to give even more detail.

Soldato
Here's the first of my Delaque gang. I was going for a simple cartoony look (which suits my lack of highlighting and shading skills :) ) and am pretty happy.

8sIefty.jpg

Soldato
Cheers guys :) I'm going to experiment with a few other things to try and get it to pop more. It'll probably be a while before Necromunda gets released again so no rush.

Quick question - do you guys pin your models to their bases? I've got the kit but am a little nervous to start drilling!

Caporegime
Yeah I pin most models, most of the stuff I paint doesn't come with tabs or I remove the tabs to make a nice base. It's easy stuff, just make sure you've got enough space to drill into, I use paperclips as pins.

The mini in post 98 actually has a tab on the base, it was too slim to remove without damaging the mini and there's no room to pin so I just sculpted the base around it.

Caporegime
Finished my Wraithguard, had a lot of problems finishing this one off. Also screw whoever put so many damn gems on these models :p

My goal from the start was to have a strong directional light so I could have a good contrast between the reds and the colder blue/purple tones in the shadows.

Soldato
The mini in post 98 actually has a tab on the base, it was too slim to remove without damaging the mini and there's no room to pin so I just sculpted the base around it.

Nice - that's an epic base! I'll practise pinning on some crappy models and see how it goes.

Good job on the Wraithguard btw - I really like the sword.

Back
Top Bottom