*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Soldato
@Col - sorry, i didnt look at your location! Certainly the descriptions can be quite confusing (even in english!), and prices are often a lot cheaper in America - i would consider it, but im not sure i could ever wait for the postage!
No problem :) I think like you say the US is probably the easiest option.

col m, I would personally wait a few weeks until the soha II is out of prototype. It offers much better features. and still shouldnt kill you (150v).
I've had a look at that one and it looks interesting, i'm in no rush so can't hurt to wait, I have to get my DMM, soldering iron and stuff sent from back home anyway which will take about a week or so.

Associate
I need some help with the Amp 6.
In the guide i had off the site, it says to solder on 3 resistors, R7, R2 and R4. I have a resistor left over and a R3 space, it says nothing about this.

Also, there are 4 caps in bag 2, i don't know which goes in C2 or C5. I have one 1uf and one 10 uf. I can't tell by the guide as they are all different to what i have.
Is there an updated guide?
Can someone help please.

Soldato
I need some help with the Amp 6.
In the guide i had off the site, it says to solder on 3 resistors, R7, R2 and R4. I have a resistor left over and a R3 space, it says nothing about this.

Also, there are 4 caps in bag 2, i don't know which goes in C2 or C5. I have one 1uf and one 10 uf. I can't tell by the guide as they are all different to what i have.
Is there an updated guide?
Can someone help please.

You're probably best off asking on the 41Hz forum, I've not built the amp6 myself, only the amp6 basic.

All I can say is double check everything against the full BOM as you may have some missing parts... Also open a support ticket thing on 41Hz, they are normally very fast in replying.

Good luck. :)

EDIT: I'm after some 100V 6800uF caps for am amp, the old ones have leaked everywhere. :(

Anyone know of any that aren't £10+ each as I need 10 of 'em!

Associate
Thanks, sorted now. At the very bottom of the guide is the Bill of materials, with a list of parts and where they go.:rolleyes:

Cheers.

Soldato
hey guys,
i'm wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an easy to build headphone amp kit for a total amateur (me) - i have some HD600's, so thats what it will be driving.

cheers

Associate
aarvark, cmoy or if you want valves the millet starving student is good.

IF it were me, i would build a cmoy, then once more confident buy a ckIII kit from glassjaraudio. Really good solid state amps. http://www.amb.org/audio/ck2/ this will probably only set you back 70 quid, and it will beat a lot of amps.

Valve amps work great with the hd600's, but they are a more difficult build with lethal voltages throughout.

Soldato
aarvark, cmoy or if you want valves the millet starving student is good.

IF it were me, i would build a cmoy, then once more confident buy a ckIII kit from glassjaraudio. Really good solid state amps. http://www.amb.org/audio/ck2/ this will probably only set you back 70 quid, and it will beat a lot of amps.

Valve amps work great with the hd600's, but they are a more difficult build with lethal voltages throughout.

cheers adam, i'll look into them.

Associate
Has anyone on here built speaker stands? If so, how did you do it and do you have some pics?
I had the idea of making some the other day actually. They'd be DVD racks and speaker stands in one - DVDs on the bottom and the speakers in/on the top. I'd build them out of MDF and then put a veneer on that.

If I actually come up with a proper design I'll put a picture or two on here.

Associate
Finally got myself a OPA2132 chip for my CMoy. Man what a difference, I was really impressed with the chip I got from the high street but the 2132 is miles better, which it should be for a £3 chip compared to the 60p one. Got it in an enclosure now and going to make another one for my Dad.

Next project will be a Gain Clone amp for some bookshelf speakers. Think I got the design of the two amplifier circuits sorted but I have never made a rectifier circuit with a transformer before.

Soldato
Ill be quite happy to answer any questions you may have regarding chip amps and what i know, if i can answer i will if not ill point you in the direction of someone that can. My advise would be if your going to get a kit bye a chipamp.com kit, the instructions are easyto follow, its cheap and very effective.
I was most pleasently surprised when i built mine. it surparsed all my expectations in quality and performance so id recommmend them very highly! ive orderd my parts for a 2 chip bridged lm3886 point to point design for each channel.... should be nice!
And this is the little bargain i picked up today, its a cheapy but it will do the job i need it to.
S5030585.jpg

£25 from Netto:cool:

LM3886 with psu pcb and amp pcb's in stereo setup shipped form the us (chipamp.com) will cost you around £35 which a complete steal for a pre picked kit, plus trafo and your talking around £50 for a "kick ass" amp (chears rodney reynolds :D) the kit in this country will set you back about £50 plus your trafo so really is a steal from the US! the lm3886 is generally conciderd to have superior sound quality though its all subjective :/

Last edited:
Associate
Have you done much in the way of case work damian? I had a look at the German site you highlighted on the first page, and combined with a modushop case it could look really nice! Pricey though...

Back
Top Bottom