*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Associate
hello.

First, the starving student, you put 48v through the heaters of the valve. It may be ok, or you may have blown the filaments, the fet will definately need replacing.

second, the transformer - what size fuse did you have in there?

Soldato
How hard is it to make a DAC and amp for headphones? Especially for someone that has never done something like this before?

I was going to buy a Fubar III USB DAC and headphone amp.. But fancy the challenge of building one. I have no idea where to start though. Is there any guides out there for complete noobs?

Also, where do you buy all the bits from and cases?

Associate
Justin, if you have never done any amp building or basic soldering then you should start with building a CMOY. google it and there are a few guides.

Associate
Looking there at the moment :p

The tangentsoft CMoy tutorial is ideal for beginners. I built one with the standard components in the tutorial at it was ace. Great thing is once you have done your first you can tinker and make better and better amps. I had a good level of electronics experience from uni and found it dead easy to make and the tutorial as really well written. You will have questions I am sure though :p

Soldato
I didn't add you, no. But will do now!

Right, I want to add a power supply to the CMOY instead of using batteries. How do I go about doing this?

I read this on tangentsodt:

Most single-voltage DC power supplies use a barrel connector of some sort. The inner part can be positive or negative. There is no standard, so you'll have to use your voltmeter to find out which it is. You can then use your ohmmeter to find out which lugs go to which parts of the plug. This will tell you where to run the V+ and V- wires from the amp board. For a simple 2-lug DC power jack, that's all you need to know to hook it up.

Is it really as easy as that?

What type/voltage etc would I need. Bit confused by it.

Associate
I didn't add you, no. But will do now!

Right, I want to add a power supply to the CMOY instead of using batteries. How do I go about doing this?

I read this on tangentsodt:

Is it really as easy as that?

What type/voltage etc would I need. Bit confused by it.

Basically the jack for the power supply replaces the batteries in the power supply schematic. You need a power supply that outputs 9 or 18 V DC. Its like the ones you have for routers where its just a power brick that plugs into the wall socket.

Soldato
Quick question...what is this thing?

69424812kh9.png

Back
Top Bottom