*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Associate
very happy with the sound, the dome mids are natural, a bit like the ATC's the over all sound is better then I could have ever hoped for :cool:

Soldato
Excellent, only thing I need to get is the tube sockets, do you know if they sell them?

By the way, are you talking about the company that is selling 2 together or just 1?

Soldato
i don't think they do sell sockets....I got mine in a kit so I'm not sure where a UK supplier might be....

And the seller is called the radio tube company or something for the 19j6 valves

Soldato
Right, just got 2 valves and 4 valve caps for $20! Good price I think. Will have to buy two more valves later down the line as backups/replacements.

Soldato
I'll try not too!

One other thing, I've been advised to swap out C1, C3, C5 and C6 with 470uF caps instead of the ones used in the schematic.

Soldato
Yeah i sent 48v through the tube lol. I think its still alive, we'll see this weekend.

And yeah 470uF caps are good...I used Nichicon Muse ES for C3 and C5 with Wima MKP10 .33uF as bypass caps because they are supposed to have a significant impact on the sound

There's lots of info at the thread over at head-fi.org

Soldato
Since I bypassed the output stage on the DAC, I only need 5V. I want make a smaller PSU using some parts from the one that shipped with it and some of my own. (Sanyo WG 1500uF after vreg)

I am completely noob but just threw this together pretty much 99% based off the DAC schematic.

Anything wrong with it? The 12V is coming from the diode bridge from the DAC psu, AC coming from a small 1.6VA toroidal 12+0+12 I purchased the other day

I have heard that the small polyester caps included on the original design are not needed and may detract from power quality? I have some MKP10 .0047 caps that I was planning to use for this, they are fairly high quality I think...but if they aren't needed why are they there?

20677128il8.png

Associate
Gurusan, too much voltage drop, that poor little reg will be shifting some power.

Justin, the 470uk caps help with startup as well, the current draw on the cold heaters can be too much for the psu, so it can stutter. The 470uf caps help with this and give the psu an easier ride.

Soldato
Justin, the 470uk caps help with startup as well, the current draw on the cold heaters can be too much for the psu, so it can stutter. The 470uf caps help with this and give the psu an easier ride.

Yup, read about that too.

Going to make an RCA > Mini interconnect too to go with this amp.

This DIY stuff is addictive and I haven't even started yet!

Back
Top Bottom