*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Associate
Have a read over at head-fi, this thread has lots of links. Can you read a schematic? Maybe a good book to read up on (Adam W has good recommendations iirc) or catch me on MSN, pretty sure I have you added?

Yeh i have you added, im not too bad at schematics, read them pretty much every day at work, just need to put the reading into action. Cheers for all the info guys.

If any of you can recommend an easy project to get me started, it would be much appreciated :)

Associate
Well after being so impressed with my Amp6 I've bought this.:)

dscf3520cj3.jpg

Going to take my time with this one, ease into it with the PSU kits before tackling the amp.
I will post back with hopefully a working Truepath.

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks spent past few hours drilling into this metal box i found in the cellar. got all the oles done . one thing my transformer cables didnt come with a socket could i solder the cables to the under side of the socket?

Soldato
well i was bone eyed enuff to forget to drill a hole for the optical socket, so there i was drilling nice and gentle when drill bit snapped and sent my case flying into the door :confused: manged to get rid of the dints with the cost of the paint work being dammaged

Associate
tip from me, when drilling (and yes this is multipurpose advice)

use lube. Less pain for you tool, and less likely to have accidents.

Associate
My 'iron' has arrived.

Going to run push pull el84's at 340v B+, through hammond output tranformers.

You would not believe how heavy this amp is going to be....

Soldato
tip from me, when drilling (and yes this is multipurpose advice)

use lube. Less pain for you tool, and less likely to have accidents.

point taken :)

well my dac first time round sounded good for the short few mins i tried it. just had time to try it out again and nothing no sound or any thing no idea what is up with it desoldered and re soldered ti all and its still the same:mad:

Associate
Done the first bit.

dscf3523vk1.jpg

Quite easy, straight forward, the next bit not so, not sure of a few bits. (wish the instruction were like the amp 6).

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds expensive Adam! Looking forward to seeing it. Any news on the DACmagic?

sodding expensive, so far i am at £290.....

the dacmagic is superb, really enjoying it through the bijou. I have also fallen in love with russian tubes, I put some 6n1p's in the bijou and its a revaltion. superb detail and they projct a crack 3d soundstage. They have lost a bit of warmth over the 6922s though.

I may do a photo diary of the valve amp (after christmas). If the photos suddenly stop......it was the 320v dc at 160ma.

Associate
Going to build the Starving Student amp, have managed to get 4 X19J6 tubes, and 2 sockets from the US for $28.95 posted.

Is there anywhere in the UK that can supply "ALL" the other components that I need, or is it a matter of having to source the items from many places.

Cheers for any info :)

Soldato
Going to build the Starving Student amp, have managed to get 4 X19J6 tubes, and 2 sockets from the US for $28.95 posted.

Is there anywhere in the UK that can supply "ALL" the other components that I need, or is it a matter of having to source the items from many places.

Cheers for any info :)

Mouser do ALL the bits you need, it's where I got mine from. However postage is a bit costly.

Can send you my BOM with the the item numbers etc on if you like?

Will put it up anyway, in case anyone else needs it. Click.

Back
Top Bottom