*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Associate
by the way, all of you staving student builders *must* try it with grados. there is some sort of bizarre synergy that creates an awesome setup. a couple of us tried the bijou, a darkvoice 336se, a soha + jisbos - all with grados. Consensus was, the starving student sounded the best.

With senns its a different story.

Associate
Cheers Justin,........... that has been a great help :), I will get an order in tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Adam.

Question,... I really like the look of this HS, anyone know who, what, where ect.
Pic

HSAMP.jpg

Soldato
Cheers Justin,........... that has been a great help :), I will get an order in tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Adam.

Question,... I really like the look of this HS, anyone know who, what, where ect.
Pic

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s223/xup11/HSAMP.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

That is [url=http://gb.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=XLPWoSliCKTudtMikZDNzA%3d%3d]this[/url] from Mouser, you will need to drill the two tube holes yourself on it.

[quote="Adam W, post: 12995133"]by the way, all of you staving student builders *must* try it with grados. there is some sort of bizarre synergy that creates an awesome setup. a couple of us tried the bijou, a darkvoice 336se, a soha + jisbos - all with grados. Consensus was, the starving student sounded the best.

With senns its a different story.[/QUOTE]

Will try and find someone I know with some Grados that I can borrow. I'm currently using Ultrasone Pro 750s with the SS, sounds pretty damn nice.

Soldato
Hmm.. Don't know what DAC to go for now.

Was originally going to get a 'noodle DAC' from eBay. This would require an external soundcard from my Mac. Was going to use an M-Audio Transit connected to the noodle via optical then to the starving student.

However, I'm now looking into a USB DAC solution, and have seen the Fubar II. The OPAMPs are replaceable (OPA2604 stock) and it's supposed to have excellent results with the OPA627s.

Has anyone got any experience with this DAC? Or any other recommendations?

Was also looking at the CA Dacmagic.. BUT, it's pretty expensive.

Soldato
Well my Ultrasones have a pretty low impedance of 40 Ohm (Grados are 32 iirc). Plus with the Dacmagic it's future proof with balanced outputs and will still be good when I upgrade to something better than a SS.

Hmm....

Also, can't find anywhere with it in stock.

Soldato
Hmm.. Don't know what DAC to go for now.

Was originally going to get a 'noodle DAC' from eBay. This would require an external soundcard from my Mac. Was going to use an M-Audio Transit connected to the noodle via optical then to the starving student.

Don't Mac's have an optical out on the internal soundcard? I know my mates MBP does (it's in the 3.5mm jack)?

Soldato
I have an iMac, only has 3.5mm headphone out.

But you're right, my old MacBook Pro had optical out.

EDit: ignore me, it's been a long day and I was getting confused. Yes the iMac does have optical out.

Soldato
I have an iMac, only has 3.5mm headphone out.

But you're right, my old MacBook Pro had optical out.

Ahh, I'm not really up with Macs I'm afraid... :o I'd be tempted to go the M-Audio Transit route myself, that way you'll have the choice of more DAC's, even SPDIF ones... I find even the cheap chinese DAC sounds pretty decent when coupled with the onboard digital out on my Gigabyte motherboard! :)

Soldato
Check your interconnects

well ive removed and taken apart everything and put it it all back together 5 times today and the dac is not working. i am not sure what it the problem either the transformer or i may have b0rked either of the boards up . really miffed as i enjoyed putting it all together

Soldato
well ive removed and taken apart everything and put it it all back together 5 times today and the dac is not working. i am not sure what it the problem either the transformer or i may have b0rked either of the boards up . really miffed as i enjoyed putting it all together

:) Yeah, but have you checked you interconnects for a short?

I say this cos I was reading yesterday about someone who basically resoldered and check all the components on his dac, only to find his interconnect had a short. Thought it was worth mentioning.

Associate
whitecrook. If you cant fix it yourself, feel free to send it to me and i will have a look. as long as you pay shipping and any parts etc.

Associate
Slightly bizarre and not completely related to DIY audio, but since this is the place where OCuKs electronics gurus reside, i thought i may be able to find an answer....

I need to get hold of a Tunnel Diode (sometimes called Esaki diodes), but its proving to be difficult. They seem to be somewhat of a relic of the 1960s and have been replaced with other oscillating devices. RS, Farnell etc dont seem to have them, and newark lists no parts either. Strangely enough, the US counterpart of the rainforest shop list some products, as does the bay, but they are not of the right spec. I think i need to look for a 'discontinued/vintage' products site, preferably in the UK. Anyone recommend any suppliers?

Back
Top Bottom