*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Associate
its either your source, or you amp. My starving student had no distortion at high volumes.

whats the source?

lol, i just dug out my pics of my first point to point project, which was a very very early starving student.

ratsnest.....

img9260.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I did yes. Altough I probably did something else incorrectly inside.

Also, when the POT is all the way down, I can here music through one side which I'm sure shouldn't be normal.

Soldato
i had that on my first p2p starving student. it was way way messy and ended up replacing the pot and it stopped happening. think someone on headfi said they were suprised it was the pot tho

Soldato
Meh, just bought a Little Dot Mk III off someone on Head-Fi. Looking forward to doing some tube rolling now.

It comes with the power tubes swapped out with some 6N6P tubes.

Soldato
Started reboxing my LM3886 AMP, decided on a custom build and got started about 2 weeks ago. im about 75% through and test fitted the hardware into the new case, all i need to do is add trim and paint the rest of the perspex but i couldnt hold off on my music so i got it together enough to have a working amp for my pc while i wait to buy more Spray paint.
Some how in the reboxing my amp has picked up a massive increase in bass, it had plenty before but now the bass just seems a lot harder and defined. i cant figure out why as all i have done is resolder the power lines from the psu to the amp boards to fit the new size of the case and recased it, i have used smaller heatsinks but would this make a differance?
I guess im just amazed at how much deeper the bass has got, any ideas on how any one?

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0298.jpg

some shots t give you an idea of the sinks, thwere 360 gpu sinks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im not one for clean and tidy but hey, here goes.
DSCN0302.jpg

230va 2x25v was the biggest i could have and it only just about fit!!
DSCN0301.jpg

like i say, im not one for neat, i get things done though it may not be perfect, one thing i am pretty proud of is the finish on this case.
Makes samsung lcd's look Matt black!!!!
DSCN0305.jpg

i tryed so hard to get rid of the dust but it just wouldnt budge from the shot the reflection though in this shot is pretty impressive.
DSCN0306.jpg

Soldato
Got my Little Dot Mk III today, stuck some Mullard EF91 M8083 driver tubes (matched military pair) in it, it sounds absolutely fantastic from the brief amount of time spent listening. The tubes were NOS so they're burning in right now with some white and pink noise.

Looking forward to having a good listen tomorrow. Pictures:

20090420-q8jmq51gsiqyg61mp4u74fh4dd.jpg

20090420-qysjnpuxg7amu78mt55pkf7y7t.jpg

Back
Top Bottom