*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Soldato
Actually it's just floating there, I've still got to make a standoff thing. It's just sort of an optical illusion as I had to sand the sides of the PCB down to make it fit lol.

And yeah, apparently the absolute max operating temperature of the irf510 is 150C so I think I'm fine :)

Associate
Really nice thread!

I used to be very keen on home-brew audio - but other interests have got in the way over the years.

I've got a World Audio Design 300B - the original single chassis push-pull version sitting in my attic.

Kit and valves cost me a bomb back in the late 90's ( the four 300Bs valves were around £300-400 alone as I remember.

Bought it on a whim as a project and it sounded fantastic. Shame is I've never really found a good place for it.

Must dig it out and give it a good overhaul soon.

I'll post some photos too - it's quite a thing of beauty.

Associate
my amp10 (from 41hz) has just arrived. it should keep my busy for a while.
my old weller soldering iron is a bit messed up, looking for any cheap but decent temperature controlled irons right now, if anyone has any recommendations it'd be helpful.

pics/updates to follow once i get my new iron!

Soldato
Just got a lepai (ta2020)...in stock form it sounds pretty decent for the price. However all I did was change out the crappy opamp for a spare opa2134pa and changed the power filter cap for a sanyo wg and it sounds pretty darned good.

Associate
Well I've been interested in DIY audio for quite a while, and i finally have a little time over summer in which I could have a dable making something. The problem is i have very little electrical knowledge (but i am dieing to know). I really want a little project just to have a play with and enjoy the process, but it would be pretty good to get a decent sound system sorted too.

So whats a really simple introduction to DIY audio? And does anyone have any tips and suggestions on what I should/ shouldn't do.

Truth is i'm pretty new to good audio too, yet to get a pair of bookshelves. I think i'm best of starting my route on a stereo set up, although i'd love a surround sound setup at some point.

Any help/ advice would be really appreciated!

Soldato
cmoy headphone amp is the ideal starting point. starving student is the next step up tho think only beezar.com has the tubes and they do the pcbs as well.

for stereo amps gainclone if you know what you are doing been thinking of doing one some time now but i really dont have much free time:/

Associate
Will be starting with that headphone amp then, was thinking that would be a good introduction anyway. Any advice on where's best to buy components (presuming that's forum friendly).

Soldato
Just got a lepai (ta2020)...in stock form it sounds pretty decent for the price. However all I did was change out the crappy opamp for a spare opa2134pa and changed the power filter cap for a sanyo wg and it sounds pretty darned good.

It sounds even better if you change the input caps and bypass the tone controls. ;)

I used a dual gang switch so I can bypass the tone controls with a switch.

Soldato
i changed out the resistors...the stock ones weren't even close to what the board values indicated? :/

not going to touch the pots til i move back to the states as funds are really tight. I did change the opamp to a spare lme49860 and it sounds lovely though...except I blew a speaker :(

Soldato
i changed out the resistors...the stock ones weren't even close to what the board values indicated? :/

not going to touch the pots til i move back to the states as funds are really tight. I did change the opamp to a spare lme49860 and it sounds lovely though...except I blew a speaker :(
Unlucky about the speaker, I'm surprised the lepai had the power to blow a speaker! :D

It's not just the resistors, there are loads of things which are the wrong value... :eek: Which is why it's pretty amazing it sounds that good out the box! :cool: If you're input caps are 10uF, swapping them out for 2.2uF caps will get rid of the turn on thump...

Have you read the big thread on DIYaudio about the Lepai? Some dude (col m I think) totally redone his tone controls, apparently it makes a big difference.

Even with my switch which bypasses the tone controls, I can hear the difference even when running pretty cheap and nasty speakers... I'm still using the 4558 op amp however...

Soldato
Thread resurrection time.

I want to build something new, probably a tube/hybrid headphone amp but need some ideas. I've been looking at the Cavalli Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amplifier. Has anyone built one?

I'm also considering a more "digital" project. I'm thinking of a microcontroller-controlled volume control and source selection box with an LCD graphical display and perhaps an IR remote. Has anyone attempted anything similar to this before? The Arduino seems well-suited to this kind of thing...

Soldato
I just realised my batnam is still lying in it's box waiting to be constructed. With my first day off in ages the perfect time had presented itself, alas I **** myself when I read through the SMD stage again.

Looks like I should really start with a CMOY but my new mac wants the batnam!!

Soldato
Ahh, forgot about this thread. I've got a synth/drummachine thing (Korg EMX-1), which has a couple of tubes in, and people have reported a much nicer sound after rolling the tubes. Apparently "groove tubes" sounds nice, and I was wondering where you guys ordered yours from? I don't mind ordering overseas as I'm in no mad rush to get them. :)

Soldato
I just realised my batnam is still lying in it's box waiting to be constructed. With my first day off in ages the perfect time had presented itself, alas I **** myself when I read through the SMD stage again.

Looks like I should really start with a CMOY but my new mac wants the batnam!!
I know what you mean. I have a bantam and a cmoy kit just lying around but i'm going to have no time to build it before uni starts. I really need it though as the output from my laptop is truly shocking.

Soldato
gosh reading this thread - makes me want to change the 5534 and JRC2068s in my Pioneer AX10Ai AV amp - haven't the courage to go for it yet- but may do soon ....

its a very odd mix - the DAC board uses PCM1704s (x8) nice - but with 5534s and JRC2068s.

then did the right thing at the pre-out stages by fitting OPA2134s for all outputs. Not sure on why they put such an expensive set of DACs in which such cheap op-amps - pehaps they liked hte sound that way - not sure.

Back
Top Bottom