*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Associate
I just realised my batnam is still lying in it's box waiting to be constructed. With my first day off in ages the perfect time had presented itself, alas I **** myself when I read through the SMD stage again.

Looks like I should really start with a CMOY but my new mac wants the batnam!!

hold on.... a bantam dac will be your first project????

unless you have experience, this will go wrong. Finish your cmoy at least!.

Soldato
What I'm currently working on:

800dscf0847.jpg

It's a 128*64 graphical LCD controlled by an Atmel ATmega 328. I'm programming it using the Arduino board and environment, but eventually it'll be the bare minimum of microcontroller and power supply on a small board. I've written a few functions to write text, clear the screen etc, so I'm pretty happy with it so far. And I've just cracked the serial adressing scheme (was previously running it on an 8-way parallel bus, hence the ribbon cable), so knocked down the number of wires by 6! This frees up valuable ports on the microcontroller for use with other stuff.

It'll be going into a preamp unit to do source selection, volume control, tone control and perhaps have an IR remote. I'll probably build a DAC and stick it in too.

The sound processing will be done by one of these: TDA7418. I picked up 2 for free from work as they had a few thousand lying around, and they're impossible to get from standard suppliers like Farnell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice work p4radox, looks like you've got you're work cut out for you...

Bit of a shameless bump I'm afraid, I've managed so finish another TA2020 based amp, this was just a pre built amp module and a little 12v SMPS, stuffed into a little metal box, it works well tho...

Outside:
19112009375.jpg

Inside:
19112009377.jpg

It sounds nice, didn't have room for a speakon connector so I used a 4 pin Molex.

Soldato
You really love your Tripath amps don't you?:p

The above pre-amp project has stalled due to other commitments. I'm currently in my 3rd year, so seem to have very little time for geeky stuff that isn't part of my course...

Soldato
You really love your Tripath amps don't you?:p
Guilty as charged, I think I'm in double figures now! :o
The above pre-amp project has stalled due to other commitments. I'm currently in my 3rd year, so seem to have very little time for geeky stuff that isn't part of my course...
If it was anything like my 3rd year then there is a lot less free time... Enjoy your dissertation ;)

Soldato
Which one's your favourite?
So far, this one, it only arrived a few days ago:

26112009378.jpg

26112009378.jpg

Even tho it's stock right now it sounds very nice, it uses the TC2000 along with TK2050's, similar to the 41Hz Amp11 but there are 2xTK2050 driver chips which allows more power into lower impedance loads.

I plan to change to output toroids, and use a proper 30V PSU as right now I'm using batteries to power it, which isn't ideal.

Does anyone know how many amps can go thru one of those 2.5mm DC connectors? I'm tempted to switch it out for a Molex connector... I'm going to change the heatsink for a fanless one as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys

Just starting to plan another amp build and I was just wondering if anyone knew of an enclosure supplier? The cases I got for my last build were from Modushop. The cases are great but I was wondering if we have a supplier like that in the UK? Also was hoping to find something a bit cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Is anyone interested in another starving student millet project? I have a spare PCB here along with 2 19j6 tubes, 2 ceramic tube sockets, 2 IRF510 mosfets, 2 RCA plugs, 4 WIMA mkp .33uf caps. So very, very far from a complete kit but PCB + goodies nonetheless.

Just wondering if anyone was interested in it here before I advertise it on head-fi.

Pic here: http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9694/img4703.jpg

on a side-note, I just purchased one of those "Indeed" hybrid amps from the bay. People have been saying they are good for the money so I decided to try one out. Will let you know how it sounds when I get it.

Last edited:
Associate
Is anyone interested in another starving student millet project? I have a spare PCB here along with 2 19j6 tubes, 2 ceramic tube sockets, 2 IRF510 mosfets, 2 RCA plugs, 4 WIMA mkp .33uf caps. So very, very far from a complete kit but PCB + goodies nonetheless.

Just wondering if anyone was interested in it here before I advertise it on head-fi.

Pic here: http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9694/img4703.jpg

on a side-note, I just purchased one of those "Indeed" hybrid amps from the bay. People have been saying they are good for the money so I decided to try one out. Will let you know how it sounds when I get it.

Hey, just tried out some Grado headphones today in town. I was a bit underwhelmed by them using just my iPod as the source (Apple lossless of course).

I have heard that Grado headphones suit the SS headphone amp. Therefore I am just curious to how much you are looking to sell the kits goodies for?

Soldato
ive built 4 SS amps 2 p2p ones and and one beta one retail kit. they sound great with the grados ive tried both the sr80 and 325i both sound great.

if your going to use it with an ipod then get your self a lod cable instead of using the headphone socket with this amp.

gurusan keep us updated on the indeed amp

Back
Top Bottom