*** The DIY Audio Thread ***

Soldato
Can you replace coils on speakers or do you have to just buy the whole thing? Think my B&W front mid and sub cones have cooked. Code is LF ZZ10129, cone looks fine but its black under the coil part (will get picture tomorrow)

Soldato
Can you replace coils on speakers or do you have to just buy the whole thing? Think my B&W front mid and sub cones have cooked. Code is LF ZZ10129, cone looks fine but its black under the coil part (will get picture tomorrow)

You should be able to get recone kits - I'd contact B&W :) Also, you may want to consider using a limiter... :p

Soldato
gurusan, do you still have the Starving Student bits you mentioned above?

I'd be interested if you haven't sold them yet.:)

sorry for the late response, only just saw this now. The parts were sold to founder film.

anyway I got my Indeed amp today and it really sounds great straight out of the box. I have changed some of the caps as they were of questionable quality (Elna RJJ and some no-name film cap)...have Nichicon Muse and a Wima film cap in there now.

I want to change the main power filter cap (25V rating when it sees 24.3V, that's cutting it pretty close! ) but am limited on physical size, I think Panasonic FM 35V may fit though...

I also have a Mullard ECC88 tube coming as apparently the china tube sucks, which is hardly surprising. Sounds very good to me so far though so if a new tube improves things I'll be very pleased.

At 40ish quid inc shipping this amp REALLY is a bargain I think.

img4734z.jpg
img4737m.jpg
[/IMG]

Soldato
gurusan: Are they still available for £40? I have yet to try anything with tubes, but I've been meaning to try a tube based pre/headphone amp.

Also, did you make that perspex case yourself or is it included with the kit??

Soldato
It's not a kit, it's a fully assembled amplifier. Just look on fleabay for hybrid headphone amplifier and you'll see it. They have a BIN price for 43 quid I think + shipping, but their auctions usually end around 30-35 quid + shipping.

Pretty sure they are guilty of shill bidding but it still works out pretty cheap.

Soldato
It's not a kit, it's a fully assembled amplifier. Just look on fleabay for hybrid headphone amplifier and you'll see it. They have a BIN price for 43 quid I think + shipping, but their auctions usually end around 30-35 quid + shipping.

Pretty sure they are guilty of shill bidding but it still works out pretty cheap.
Cheers, for around £40 it does seem like a very good deal.

I think I have a few tall thin 35V caps, you could easily use a taller cap if you added extra brass standoff's by the looks of it.

I know nothing about tubes however... What would be a good replacement for the stock tube?

Soldato
So yesterday I replaced the stock crapola China 6N1P tube with a Mullard E88C, and I have to say I really love this little amp, it sounds superb. There also seems to be better synergy with my HD580s in comparison to the SSMH. At 40ish quid this thing really is a bargain and I think probably my favourite amp so far (only had cmoys, ssmh builds, and a mini3 which was my previous favourite).

I recommend checking it out...my only gripe is that the power switch is terrible, pretty sure I'll be replacing that.

Soldato
Finished building my 'posh' components CMOY (was building it alongside helping a friend build his first CMOY).. Ended up taking out and lending him my Alps blue pot as his ******s cheap pot was a total POS.
Sounded superb before I put the POS pot in it for a laugh...

Sam

hux

hux

Soldato
Can anyone help us out here, im in the middle of knocking up my 3.5mm mini cable but i need to know which is left channel and which is right on my ra and straight neutrik mini jacks, i've looked around but to no avail and head-fi is hard to plough through.

Can i assume with both grounds facing down and the jacks facing away from me that left is left and right is right, ground is obvious of course and the last thing id want is to wind up swapping the channels.

The cardas solder btw is gorgeous stuff to work with, very clean and solidifies near instantly.

hux

hux

Soldato
Hmm trouble is when it comes out the back im still flummoxed, i know what the m and f is at the jack end it's when it comes out the back im stumped.

Right now watching a video lets see if that helps.

Last edited:

hux

hux

Soldato
You know what doh!!! i just realised because they're both neutrik the right and left channels should be facing the same way anyway!!!

Right then.

hux

hux

Soldato
All done, scratched the outer casing though i should have gone with 18awg instead of 22 still works a treat and i could be just me but it sounds a bit brighter either way it all went rather well.

Soldato
I recommend checking it out...my only gripe is that the power switch is terrible, pretty sure I'll be replacing that.

Keep us updated on the switch issue please, as i have one and agree its the only thing letting this little amp down in quality.

On another note, did you know there is an updated version(still same power switch) i'll get up a picture

025.jpg

016-1.jpg

Last edited:

DiG

DiG

Associate
Hi, just made some speaker cable out of Cat5 (easy I know, buy I'm just starting out!)

They sound good but the bass seems to be very weak, it can still get down as low as it did before, but at a much lower volume

What have I done wrong?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom