The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - MODS & TWEAKS

Caporegime
OP
Excuse my stupidity but where do you disable mouse acceleration? :confused:

SkyrimPrefs.ini in the \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory.

[Display]
bTreesReceiveShadows=1
bDrawLandShadows=1
bDrawShadows=1

[Controls]
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0300
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.9000
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=0
fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

Caporegime
OP
What are the benefits of VSync on?

What is VSync? VSync stands for Vertical Synchronization. The basic idea is that synchronizes your FPS with your monitor's refresh rate. The purpose is to eliminate something called "tearing"

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

With vsync on many people get mouse lag but the upside is no tearing and it generally looks better. I for one hate tearing though some don't get it or even notice it so I have to have vsync on. Fast paced games like BF3 are better with vsync off

Associate
Thanks for the info.

'bMouseAcceleration=1' was definitely in my SkyrimPrefs.ini file. Changed this to 0.

Also knocked Vsync off as I just don't like it and haven't noticed any tearing.

I've got every setting maxed out except for AA which is off. Sits anywhere between 40-70fps. Interestingly though as many have mentioned it's not pushing my GPU. CPU and GPU temps are way down compared to say playing BF3.

Just in www.tomshardware.co.uk skyrim performance benchmark

Last edited:
Associate
How do you open the console??

Also does this mod actually improve much that I would notice it?

INI TWEAKS GUIDE:

First thing to do, change your game graphics settings from the game Launcher:

-Set "Ultra" settings and max out Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filter.

-Go in Advanced:
Max out everything BUT leave UNCHECKED "FXAA" and "Object Detail Fade".
*FXAA makes the screen very blurry, Object Fade makes the details fade from a certain view distance.

-Ok and exit.

-Now, go in "Documents/My Games/Skyrim", make a copy of the file "SkyrimPrefs.ini" and name that copy as you want, it is a backup.

-Open the original "SkyrimPrefs.ini" with a txt editor, find these lines and change them if you want:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3 (change to 1) - Greately improves the definition of the shadows with no FPS loss (for me at least). If you think they are too sharp, set the value to 2 instead of 1.

fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=0.0000 (change to 10000000.0000) - Improves tree LOD distance (experimental).

iShadowFilter=3 (change to 4) - Probably slightly improve shadow filtering (experimental, doesn't harm anyway).

fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000 (change to 1000.0000) - Improves the LOD distance of shadows.

bTransparencyMultisampling=0 (change to 1) - Enables Trasparency MS (experimental, needs more testing).

iWaterMultiSamples=0 (change to 4) - Improves water AA sampling.

bTreesReceiveShadows=0 (change to 1) - Improves the tree shadowing by enabling shadows ON trees!

bDrawLandShadows=0 (change to 1) - Enable land shadowing, larger shadows are unaffected, this is a subtle effect.

fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000 (change to 400.0000) - Improves minimum grass fade distance (experimental).

iWaterReflectHeight=512 and
iWaterReflectWidth=512 (change both to 1024) - Improves the water reflections resolution.

bMouseAcceleration=1 (change to 0) - Disables mouse acceleration, which causes mouse lag with Vertical Sync, just be sure to also raise the mouse sensitivity in the game options.

uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=20 (change to 40) - Renders more tree's skins/textures (needs more testing).

-Now add these lines at the bottom:

bUseWaterReflectionBlur=1
bReflectExplosions=1
iWaterBlurAmount=4
bAutoWaterSilhouetteReflections=0
bForceHighDetailReflections=1 - These 5 improve the water rendering.

fBlockLoadDistanceLow=50000.0000
fBlockLoadDistance=125000.0000
fHighBlockLoadDistanceLow=20000.0000 - These 3 improve the mesh on long distance.

-Save, exit.

IMPORTANT: Forcing Anisotropic Filter 16x from your video card settings IMPROVES WATER FILTERING, also if the games already uses AF 16x!

Please let me know about new INI tweaks you discover, and report any problem these tweaks may cause, this will become a bigger and better guide thanks to you!

v1.1
-Added shadow fildering experimental tweak

TheCompiler

Back
Top Bottom