The Emirates FA Cup 3rd Round ** Spoilers ** [4th - 8th January 2024]

Soldato
I mean, yes ultimately. Unless you want to be pedantic about it never being a dive if there is contact. The contact was minimal and there is not a chance that was enough to take him off his feet.
So do you think it was a penalty?

This is exactly the point many were making. If you dont go down you dont get the decision.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone decent would have put 6 past Wigan. We've been hideous again.
Pellistri must be gutted at the lack of game time he gets. He's easy worth 45 today with Rashford continuing to play poorly.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So do you think it was a penalty?

This is exactly the point many were making. If you dont go down you dont get the decision.

No. A penalty should be for something concrete. Something where a defender has at least almost certainly denied a goalscoring opportunity or done something that is a clear foul. That was neither.

I know that if you don't go down you don't get the decision 95% of the time but that doesn't mean that if you go down and there is contact it should be a penalty.

I don't know if you can be giving out yellows when there is contact but its clearly a dive but you certainly don't have to give a penalty.

Man of Honour
A pretty dull game and a tame performance. Still looked pretty poor despite playing a bottom half League One side, got the job done at least. Not much else to say, really...

Soldato
No. A penalty should be for something concrete. Something where a defender has at least almost certainly denied a goalscoring opportunity or done something that is a clear foul. That was neither.

I know that if you don't go down you don't get the decision 95% of the time but that doesn't mean that if you go down and there is contact it should be a penalty.

I don't know if you can be giving out yellows when there is contact but its clearly a dive but you certainly don't have to give a penalty.
A penalty is a foul in the box. Just like there isnt a law for not giving a yellow in the first 5 minutes there isnt one a seperate law for fouls in the box.

fez

fez

Caporegime
A penalty is a foul in the box. Just like there isnt a law for not giving a yellow in the first 5 minutes there isnt one a seperate law for fouls in the box.

Thank you for that lesson on penalties :cry:

I'm not sure what you are saying about yellows. Refs reasonably regularly don't give a penalty when they think a player has made an absolute meal out of something in the box and they also don't give a yellow for a dive or simulation.

To be clear. No it shouldn't have been a penalty. Bruno probably shouldn't get a yellow because the current way the game is played means that if you do what he did, you usually get a penalty and there was contact. He was playing the game that we have created.

Associate
Really don't like Bruno, soft penalty but you can see why he gave it, you would think he broke his legs the way he was screaming.

Back
Top Bottom