The end of selling game codes you get from buying a new GPU on the Members Market.

Soldato
At the end of the day the publisher gets their money from Nvidia for the game code, so why do they care where the game goes?

Same reason they care about second hand sales, even though they get the money from the 'first sale', they see the second sale as a lost one because it's someone who was happy to buy the game but they've seen no additional money.

Soldato
Why would £30-£40 make any impact on a £600 purchase decision? It's not even 10%.

The GPU section was often full of spec me threads and people justify spending the next tier of card with 'I know its over budget but if you include xxx and yyy, you can go up to a AMD/Nvidia ZZZ'

People will often look for excuses just to free themselves of a bit of buying guilt.

Last edited:
Soldato
So if you get two cards the same like of you want to run sli you can sli the games too and get 2x the performance :D
Run one on each card.

Seems pretty stupid to me, if you don't like the games in the bundle then nvidia still get the sale because someone can sell the game, now they're going to have a tougher choice.

Caporegime
Seems a miserly move but I can understand why they're keen to do it (games publishers rather than Nvidia).

The whole Geforce Experience is a new thing to me though, and given that I'll be shopping for a new graphics card soon its awfully off putting.

Soldato
So Nvidia are saying that not only can you not sell game codes, you cannot gift them to family friends etc., even if you already happen to own the promo game?

Absolutely crazy change in policy, if true!

Might as well cancel the whole game code with hardware initiative and sell the hardware (~£20?) cheaper, gamers then spend less on their card and buy games they want.

Soldato
What a totally stupid decision.
I havnt bought a GPU for many years, still using gigabyte 670 SLI and I wont be changing for a long time still as its still performing well.
This is just going to make people look at GPU buying differently.
If you want a new GPU and Nvidia and AMD are performing/priced similarly and AMD has a game you don't have it will make people go with AMD as you can't sell the duplicate you get from Nvidia.
Stupid decision Nvidia, stupid.

This is assuming its Nvidia doing this and not the publishers, which we don't know yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you massively underestimate brand loyalty among GPU purchasers.

Seriously benchmarks, scores, 10-30% pricing differences for performance wont say these people, i doubt an offer of a free game title you may not even want will tempt the vast majority to pay a little more and switch sides.

I know it is something that may convince YOU but given your using a 670SLI and wont be changing your GPUs for years, i dont think customers with your mentality are the top priority targets when deciding price and marketing.

Just a look at the GPU section will show you the silly green/red team arguments go beyond standard buyers rationale

Soldato
Well yeah but when the money you spend is good enough for whatever you want to use it for regardless and the odd bad experience makes you judge one brand the rest of your life, you get those sort of people born.

Look at 'car people', there are people that will swear that Renault's are electrical disasters on wheals but my parents have had two each in 26 years and have never had to do anything to them really, so they feel they are incredibly reliable.

iphone and android users get use to the very minor differences in interface and all of a sudden, the other brand is crap but in reality its the user that is too crap to beat the learning curve/frustration. Eventually the mroe popular choice gets a reputation and clever marketing assists the brand in solidifying that reputation.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't like knowing I'm paying for something I won't be able to use.

If the bundled game is one I already have or am not interested in that will affect my decision process probably making me delay my purchase until a better bundle is available especially as it seems recently that the bundled games seem to change quite often.

Soldato
So you are suggesting that even the etailer (if they do the promo) will suffer now?

I am suggesting that if you are not willing to pay full price for a GPU because you own the extra games, that you would just go to a retailer that offers just the GPU for a slightly lower cost. Like them dodgy blokes beginning with S.

Retailers wouldn't suffer, they would just end up handing out less of these codes after an adjustment period of people choose to buy slightly cheaper cards with no extras.

Edit - As shown above

Soldato
Would the way forward for e-tailors not be to list card prices without the codes and then offer a game code (at extra cost) after placing card in basket?

Compared to buying that game separately and possibly elsewhere, the optional extra code will cost the customer less.

Soldato
OP
Would the way forward for e-tailors not be to list card prices without the codes and then offer a game code (at extra cost) after placing card in basket?

Compared to buying that game separately and possibly elsewhere, the optional extra code will cost the customer less.

etailer cost is the same, they don't pay more for the game codes. Nvidia usually provide them to the chosen etailers (for free) but the cost is split out over the stock anyway. If you find an etailer with a lower price than another, but without the game it will be because that etailer has pushed the vendor/distri for a better supported price or that etailer is happy to make less profit margin.

Back
Top Bottom