Speaking of cleaning the bike...

2gvjvh5.jpg

21dhk0k.jpg

Raining today though, as per my cleaning curse :(:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Welcome bike number 8. :)

2014 MT-09. :)

Initial impressions, power is awesome and the torque is lethal in A mode, seat is solid, 150 miles home was not comfortable! Throttle is very sensitive, slight twitch and it's jolting forward, brakes are good and the steering is nice and light.

Ride height is good too, 820MM seat height but actually feels lower, strange seating position though, silly lump in the seat pushes you forward so you are sort of hunched forward, felt like i was sitting on the handle bars as i was that far forward.

Found one with a full akra system already installed, crash bobbins, new front and rear fender, new chain, full service history, only 1 previous owner. :)

Overall I'm happy with the bike, it'll be a good summer toy. :)

mFRV3IYh.jpg

Nice, enjoy. If it hasn't had the firmware update for twitchy throttle (2015s onwards had the update as standard), Yamaha will probably still do it for free. Makes a noticeable difference but it's still very switch-like. For a proper solution get the bike in for a remap- fixes the throttle, removes all the Euro 3 restrictions and allows full throttle in 4th-6th gear.

Also with a bit of extra expenditure they can enable quickshifter and autoblipper.

Soldato
Welcome bike number 8. :)

2014 MT-09. :)

Initial impressions, power is awesome and the torque is lethal in A mode, seat is solid, 150 miles home was not comfortable! Throttle is very sensitive, slight twitch and it's jolting forward, brakes are good and the steering is nice and light.

Ride height is good too, 820MM seat height but actually feels lower, strange seating position though, silly lump in the seat pushes you forward so you are sort of hunched forward, felt like i was sitting on the handle bars as i was that far forward.

Found one with a full akra system already installed, crash bobbins, new front and rear fender, new chain, full service history, only 1 previous owner. :)

Overall I'm happy with the bike, it'll be a good summer toy. :)

Nice! Would be interested in hearing your opinion on the suspension.

Throttle issues were solved on the newer models and the XSR on release, due to inital reviews slating the ridiculousness of the throttle response. I'd look at getting it sorted.

Man of Honour
Nice, enjoy. If it hasn't had the firmware update for twitchy throttle (2015s onwards had the update as standard), Yamaha will probably still do it for free. Makes a noticeable difference but it's still very switch-like. For a proper solution get the bike in for a remap- fixes the throttle, removes all the Euro 3 restrictions and allows full throttle in 4th-6th gear.

Also with a bit of extra expenditure they can enable quickshifter and autoblipper.

It's also worth noting that you get full power in all modes so you don't lose anything by going to a less snatchy mode.

Associate
Nice! Would be interested in hearing your opinion on the suspension.

Throttle issues were solved on the newer models and the XSR on release, due to inital reviews slating the ridiculousness of the throttle response. I'd look at getting it sorted.

Throttle snatchiness is supposed to be better on the 2017 model. On my 2015 it's a little better but still rubbish. Can't imagine how bad the pre 2014s are! Can't understand how BMW have met Euro3/4 and kept the throttle sublime on the S1000RR with all it's power, yet Yamaha have messed it up so badly on a 100bhp lump.

In my opinion... Suspension is comfortable at best, pretty ropey when pressing on. Low speed damping on the shock is far too weak, and high speed is too harsh so it's the worst of both worlds- hit poor road surfaces at speed and it's crashy at first, then pogos afterwards. Forks are OK on mine when sag is set in the right range, but the front and rear feel mismatched. For commuting it's not a show-stopper but it does limit the bike when out for a hoon. Shame as the chassis, geometry and ergonomics are otherwise so good. At least it's a stable.

I ditched the rubbish stock Dunlops (plenty of life left) and put Pilot Roads on mine a couple of weeks ago and it's improved ride quality and grip massively. Still have to put up with the poor low speed damping though.

Man of Honour
Throttle snatchiness is supposed to be better on the 2017 model. On my 2015 it's a little better but still rubbish. Can't imagine how bad the pre 2014s are! Can't understand how BMW have met Euro3/4 and kept the throttle sublime on the S1000RR with all it's power, yet Yamaha have messed it up so badly on a 100bhp lump.

Triumph and BMW have by far the smoothest on/off throttle response, and all the Japanese brands are famous for being very slow in catching up.

My MT-10 throttle is usable, but the European competition is far superior in that area.

Back
Top Bottom