Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Every single person I speak to in my area and in other areas I visit are voting leave. Ive not spoke to a single person who is voting stay. Look at the polls in local papers and they are all in favour of leave.

Well that's simply not true. All of the polls have remain in the lead. The poll of polls has a 6% lead for remain. And if you're into your bookies odds then. 3/10 to Remain against 9/4 to leave says it all.

This country will stay in the EU. Everything else is just noise ;)

Caporegime
I just remember the polls during the general election. Completely out of touch.

The polls got every major party within 3 percentage points of the real vote. They're demeaned because they failed to predict the outcome but in terms of predicting vote share they're not that bad. In any case, since no one has a better method* we're pretty much stuck with them.

* - Some have claimed a few other methods as being better, i.e. betting markets, citizen panels, etc. but these all give similar results for the referendum; possibly slightly favouring Remain compared to the polls.

Soldato
Well that's simply not true. All of the polls have remain in the lead. The poll of polls has a 6% lead for remain. And if you're into your bookies odds then. 3/10 to Remain against 9/4 to leave says it all.

This country will stay in the EU. Everything else is just noise ;)

My main worry is:
1.)Apathy.
2.)The undecided neutrals who might vote either way or not bother to vote.
3.)Older people have more Euroskeptic views and are more likely to vote.
4.)Younger people do tend to vote less since they CBA.

However,this is balanced by the fact that:
1.)Older people tend to do more surveys.
2.)Younger people CBA as much,especially men,so its much harder to get data from them.

The latter two points are from talking to mate who works in Market Research and the company he works for tends to do political polls,like the one for the Scottish Referendum.

Last edited:
Soldato
From the paper that was claiming 98% wanted to leave not so long ago.

We have to be careful with papers - The Express owner donated lots of money to UKIP. I expect some are the other way.

Sadly,it is not so easy to find unbiased information sources.

Has anyone seen this website:

https://fullfact.org/

Seems,relatively unbiased?? I don't know TBH!! :(

Soldato
You think "they" rig the polls to mobilise more voters? Who is "they" here?

The "establishment". That or lizard people. It really depends on whom you're talking to.

We have to be careful with papers - The Express owner donated lots of money to UKIP. I expect some are the other way.

Sadly,it is not so easy to find unbiased information sources.

Has anyone seen this website:

https://fullfact.org/

Seems,relatively unbiased?? I don't know TBH!! :(

I've donated to their crowdfunder so it makes it instantly pro-EU in the eyes of some here. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Age seems to divide my office. Anyone over 40 wants out and anyone under wants to stay in. Over 40's seem to moan about issues they think would be resolved by exiting and the under 40's main reason to stay in is ease of travel in Europe.

Neither seem to have compelling reasons or ones that would make me choose to vote one way or another. This is in an office of about 20 people.

I still do not know which way I'll vote, nothing is making me think either is a better option than the other at the moment.

Soldato
intresting watch thanks.

i enjoyed this in the comments below the vid.

Vote to leave EU, vote to leave the Fourth Reich, vote for Love, Queen, Freedom and Dignity! :p

LMAO,I like how all the Farage is brilliant and he is the man,and all the others are worms comments. We can go from the Fourth Reich to the Third Reich! :p

Yet,Farage is just as much the same as all of them. The commodity broker with a heart of gold. All rich bankers,public school boys who are soooooo concerned with the average person in this country,while they skim the millions of pounds of profits they make and we pay for.

People are so gullible - all of them are the same network and probably have a good laugh afterwards in the pub at all the plebs getting all worked up.

Win or lose,they all win.

Would be very ironic if a pro-Europe Scotland is what keeps the UK in the EU.

Scotland are servants of the Lizard People!!

Vote to leave UK, vote to leave the Fifth Reich, vote for Love, Queen, Freedom and Dignity! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, but it's not true. We accept the supremacy of international law on a host of issues; when we sign agreements with other countries we - like most developed nations - accept that this are binding agreements on us. Leaving the EU may (or may not, depending on the post-Brexit deal) cause us not to be bound by some EU laws but it will not make us suddenly supreme in matters of international law.

There's an important difference, we can choose to be bound by international treaties and agreements and make them part of UK law, but EU law by definition will always override UK law. That's the whole basis of the Supremacy of EU Law and why so people (me included) have a problem with that concept. Our signing up to international treaties doesn't mean we're giving the power to create supreme law to a foreign body, but that's exactly what we've done by being in the EU.

This article in the FT is an example of what I mean, and quotes:

FT said:
Dominic Raab, a justice minister, said the decisions of the ECJ “affect everything from the price of beer to the cost of home insulation” and “undermine the basic principle of our democracy — that the British people can hold to account those who write the laws of our land”.

FT said:
Dominic Grieve, a former attorney-general, the British government’s chief legal adviser, accuses the ECJ of expanding its area of competence for ideological reasons. “It sees itself as bringing about ever-closer union,”

FT said:
While European law has had primacy over British legislation since the day Britain joined the European Economic Community in 1973, senior British judges have also been outspoken on the ECJ’s growing role. “We should be under no illusions: the jurisdiction of the Luxembourg court covers far more than economic matters,” said Lord Dyson, one of the most senior judges in England and Wales, in a 2014 speech. “It affects many parts of our national life.”

Also, EU laws are our laws. We're part of the EU and we play a big role in EU law making. If we end up with some "Norway" arrangement then we really will be bound by laws other people are making.

EU law is not UK law, they are different legal frameworks. You may argue we influence EU law (and I and many leave supporters would have course see that differently), but that doesn't change the concept that EU law will always be supreme to our own laws.

Norway have retained most importantly their sovereignty, but also don't have to listen to the European Court of Justice (whereas the UK is currently forced to), they can adjust VAT (we currently can't), they're outside of CAP/CFP (we have to adhere to it), they can negotiate trade deals globally (we can't), and the list goes on.

It's funny how often the remain camp go on about what a terrible deal Norway/Switzerland have, when opinion polls say roughly 70%+ of Norwegians/Swiss people do not want to join the EU. Stop trying to tell us they've got a terrible deal!

Soldato
Evening Standard - 100 leading City names sign letter backing Brexit

More than 100 leading City grandees have backed the Vote Leave campaign arguing that Brussels meddling represents “a genuine threat” to Britain’s financial services industry.

Senior figures from the worlds of banking, stockbroking, insurance and fund management said in a letter to the Standard that the Square Mile “can thrive and grow outside the European Union”

They added: “We believe the City is most likely to strengthen its lead as the world’s largest international financial centre, and continue to make a major contribution to the UK economy and employment, outside the EU but with continued access to its capital markets.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom