Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (April Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 452 45.0%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 553 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
The key point being we can regularly vote to get rid of the UK government if we don't like what they are doing.

What, like how Scotland clearly loves the Conservatives and their policies? They voted to get rid of the last administration by the almost blanket SNP representation in Scotland, yet still nothing changes, indeed the Conservative have a parliamentary majority.

Democracy, especially when using FPTP doesn't do what you're suggesting.

Man of Honour
OP
Not surprising considering we get so shafted in the European Parliament.

Number of UK inhabitants per UK MEP: 839,194
Number of Bulgarian inhabitants per Bulgarian MEP: 454,059
Number of Luxembourg inhabitants per Lux MEP: 76,667

Only Spain and France are more under-represented than we are :mad:

Yet France, along with Germany are the two defining powers in Europe. Why? Because they engage with the EU and it's processes.

Man of Honour
OP
France and Germany probably don't care about being under represented in terms of MEP's because let's face it, they pretty much run the EU. We are not in the same position.

And we never will be standing on the sidelines complaining like a spoilt child all the time. France can and does have a powerful voice in Europe without having huge numbers of MEPs, so saying we're under represented doesn't have the consequences people assume.

50% of the population up here didn't vote for the SNP. They are not as well liked as it looks.

My point is that saying that only having laws written by parliament doesn't mean that we can just vote out any government that is a bit unpopular. The system and process doesn't allow for it.

Man of Honour
OP
I personally think it should be contribution based. We pay a huge amount more than Bulgaria so why shouldn't we have a greater say?

At the moment we have approx. 10% voting power, which diminishes the more new members join the EU. When Turkey joins in xx years, they'll have more voting power than the UK despite not contributing anything since the inception of the EU.

So you're saying we should be able to buy power in the EU?

You're damn right it should be different. The bigger, more powerful a country is the greater say it should have in the running of the EU - I'm not talking about the sneaky way France gains influence, but rather in open, transparent, democratic terms.

So what metrics should that be based on?

Man of Honour
OP
Its not quite as clear as that. I've seen analysis from a number of banks which suggest that Brexit would damage the Euro significantly more than the Pound. In which case, money would leave for safer markets, the pound being one. So its quite possible that in the weeks to months after the referendum, the UK will be seen as a safe haven for European investment.

If the Euro gets hit, then that has direct impacts on the UK. I doubt many would see the UK as a safe haven with all the uncertainty over the agreements to leave.

Man of Honour
OP
Yet 'Project Fear' is in fact a tool being deployed by the pro-brexit side as a way to dismiss any facts, figures or opinions that contradict the Brexit argument.

The problem is that most facts or figures of the impact of the Brexit - from either side - have the accuracy of a finger in the air. They're easily dismisses by the opposition because there is no certainty over what happens if we did look to leave. I think that needs to be recognised.

That's one of the only real facts to be relied on here.

There is a bit more certainty over what the economy would look like if it stayed the same though.

Man of Honour
OP
Still a no vote. I'm not keen on what's happening to the Nordic states with immigration issues or Germany's level of influx. I'm honestly not sure infrasture is there and if we don't really gain control back, which I don't see us doing inside the EU, that it could potentially be a huge problem in the next couple of years.

Note - I am not anti immigration at all. In fact I think we should be relatively open where we can support it.

What's happening in the Nordic states and Germany isn't affecting us here, now, in the EU. What control have we lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom