Poll: The EU Referendum: How Will You Vote? (May Poll)

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union

Votes: 522 41.6%
  • Leave the European Union

Votes: 733 58.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
Then you need to decide, remain for now is not an option it's remain forever. Vote out now has the potential to rejoin If there is fundamental change in how the EU is governed

You do realise how long EU joining negotiations take right? If we vote to remain then it may indeed rear it's head again at some point in the future, in a similar time scale that any rejoining would take.

Nothing is permanent, the question is what state we'd be in if we choose the "wrong" option.

Man of Honour
OP
How is that off topic? Free movement, schengen and the migration crisis are all connected and based on the free movement of people. Switzerland doesn't want that and countries are violating it by putting fences up. The whole principle is being put into question. Given this and other turmoil the EU is in (debt crisis, rise of nationalist parties, unemployment, dutch referendum) what makes you think it's in such a strong negotiating position?

Free movement is a fundamental condition of the EEC and EU. The EU simply will not negotiate on such a foundation of the project.

Man of Honour
OP
Same here , everyone I know is voting out, are any of the national newspaper polls showing genuine results I wonder?
This forum is populated by all age groups from teenagers to pensioners & I come under the latter, and yet the leave vote is storming ahead further with each monthly vote so how can we trust any of the other polls that all apparently show remainers in the lead :confused:

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Man of Honour
OP
I agree but I also I think Boris wants to be PM after Dave and Dave wants George to suceed him. If we Leave it's unlikely that George will be able to lead the country into Brexit, thus paving the way for Boris. I do wonder if Dave had given hime a nod and a wink, whether Boris would really be campaigining for Vote Leave.

I don't think Boris has any principles here, he's clearly doing it for his own career progression and looking at the latest polls, he may well have backed the losing side.

Man of Honour
OP
But like i said earlier, whether your annual holidays is going to cost a lot more money should NOT be your overriding factor in making a decision whether to stay or leave the EU.

Perhaps it shouldn't but it well could be. Let's not assume that people will make a choice based on personal and family impacts. People care about issues that affect them and are generally apathetic about the ones who don't.

It's one of the reasons that I'm so apathetic about the whole sovereignty issue. It's hard to see how that affects me specifically.

If people go on lots of european holidays then this really could affect their lives and that matters.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm frankly getting sick and tired of the utter rubbish from both remain and leave now.

I should've expected no less from our politicians though in fairness.

Which comes back to a question I asked way back when: Are the public really going to be informed enough about the complexities of the EU to make a reasoned decision? The more this campaign goes on, the more I think absolutely not.

Man of Honour
OP
In fairness your whole perspective (dressed up nearly of course) is one of an authoritarian nature.

Not sure if thats the german coming out in you or just the police part...

I think that's your preconceptions warping your view. I'm really not an authoritarian.

I'm not against referendums but asking Joe public to have the interest to learn about such a multi faceted debate and take all that information to come to a reasoned and well researched view point is an almost impossible ask.

People will vote based on fear, personalities and rhetoric which I think we can all agree is not ideal.

Man of Honour
OP
In the field of politics, none at all, which is why appealing to his authority over this issue is a logical fallacy. If it was an article about quantum mechanics or string theory then yeah, he's an expert and he has authority - but on the issue of British sovereignty and the EU, he ain't and he don't.

Thanks for demonstrating again what an appeal to authority fallacy looks like :D

Another great scientist, Carl Sagan, once wrote:

I hate to say it, but scorza is right here. Whilst intelligent people may be right, they still need to prove their position like any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom