The EU Referendum: Polling Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[TW]Fox;29675567 said:
No, he wants a representative democracy.

What next, a referendum on everything? Let's have referendum on the construction and use regulations for steel structures! Yay democracy!

Or we could leave these decisions to the parliament we elect to represent us.

I like how these direct democracy anoraks bray for it, but then complain about dictators -- populist referendums is their flipping bread and butter! But we've been awash in their contradictions for months now, so might as well let that slide into another lizard pit sponsored by the Bilderbergs and some tobacco companies. ;)

Associate
Just been to exercise my right, nay ... to do my duty and vote. Very busy at the polling station, queued for around 15 minutes - two youngsters in front of me weren't registered so weren't able to vote, shame for them. Believe it or not, I'd actually had a few jitters throughout the day about which way to vote, but as I got to polling desk and placed my deliberate, defiant and definite X in the Leave box I knew in my heart and my head that I'd done the right thing, and that if victorious, I had played my part in securing a bright future for my niece and nephew and all the other children of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

This....Very much as I sit here listening to the overtly patriotic "I vow to thee my country"

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29675567 said:
No, he wants a representative democracy.

What next, a referendum on everything? Let's have referendum on the construction and use regulations for steel structures! Yay democracy!

Or we could leave these decisions to the parliament we elect to represent us.

Are you serious?

Soldato
Would it be such a bad thing?

Yes.

If we had a referendum on changing the majority of our power stations to Nuclear power, the bulk of the public would be imagining glowing green goo in barrels and nuclear bombs.

If we had referendums for everything, the country would be ruled and controlled by the media... more so than now.

Referendums would be decided by whatever is socially popular. Imagine the ridiculous political correctness laws we would have 15-20 years from now when we have another generation of tumblr warriors.

Soldato
Yes.

If we had a referendum on changing the majority of our power stations to Nuclear power, the bulk of the public would be imagining glowing green goo in barrels and nuclear bombs.

If we had referendums for everything, the country would be ruled and controlled by the media... more so than now.

Referendums would be decided by whatever is socially popular. Imagine the ridiculous political correctness laws we would have 15-20 years from now when we have another generation of tumblr warriors.
You and Scoza have an interesting political debate, we should have a referendum on it?

Caporegime
Yes.

I think if politicians trusted the electorate, gave us facts instead of politics, then we'd be OK. I don't think it's practical to have referendums for everything, but we should definitely have them more often. Whatever the result from today, I think it's wonderful how engaged people have been with the political process, a record number of people have registered to vote - that is fantastic news. Sure there's been some bitterness, but what do you expect? We're not treated as mature adults by politicians so we don't act as such.

Soldato
What about the civil servants under him who do all the actual work and present him with the options, since he's just the figurehead, are they experts?

Actually, that turned into a genuine question :D are the civil servants in the relevant departments educated/experts in their field?

If not, then the system really is ******* :p

David Gauke (MP and Financial Secretary to the Treasury) is apparently very knowledgeable about tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom