The EU Referendum: Polling Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Are you guys seriously of the opinion that the Remain campaign has been the only one engaging in promoting fear based rhetoric in all this? You don't accept that Leave are guilty of the exact same tactics at all?

Not at all, both are guilty of it. But unfortunately when you've got the people in charge of our country, Cameron and Osborne spouting out the fear, then people are far more likely to listen to it

Soldato
Well , its certainly the last time I will ever bother to pay attention to a poll on overclockers, months and months of polls on here showing leave with a lead of several percent, then the day comes and suddenly the poll shows different to literally every single poll thread on here previously. Either a whole load of Remains just didnt bother with any of the previous threads, a whole lot of people changed their mind at the last minute, or a whole load of people who previously had polled they were going to vote leave were blowing in the wind.

I know I didn't fill in all the earlier polls.

I hypothesised earlier that the Leavers, a more emotional group, were more likely to have taken part in those threads/polls. Now that the real thing is here, the Remainers are joining in.

I don't think the OCUK crowd has seen a material shift towards Remain.

I'm still happy with my earlier 60% remain prediction for the actual result.

Associate
Not outraged as such, just surprised. Had all the previous thread polls flip flopped about, I could understand it more. But when you have half a dozen threads over the course of half a year all unanimously with the same result, its surprising to see a turn around when the time comes. But there we go, matters little to me really as I'm emigrating to Canada anyway, so not really any consequence to me :)
Less than 50% of the total voting pool who voted in the last poll.

Could swing further either way.

Caporegime
We've been told over and over again that this referendum is not going to repeated.
Thats fair enough, isn't it? Whichever the result goes we don't want "yet another referendum" hanging over us for another x years of vitriolic campaigning.

Leave that to the general elections :p.

Soldato
Why is everything so black and white with some of you? Anyone who votes for the other camp is an idiot......
Don't you think that there are good arguments on both sides of the fence and that people just weigh up what is more important to them?
It's not that the case for one way or another is absolutely irrefutable and thus anyone with sub-normal intelligence cannot see this.

I see both sides of the argument as both having merit. I choose to remain due to factors that affect me and my (half Polish, half English) family. That doesn't make me an idiot. It makes me pragmatic.

It's become weirdly tribal. I can absolutely see where some of the leave arguments come from, I just don't personally rank them as highly as they do.

Soldato
You'd think there was nothing else going on in the world, even though the BBC isn't allowed to report on the referendum there have been no new news stories since this morning! Reporters resting up for an all-nighter as the results flow in...

Man of Honour
It's probably a product of the other polls not having an undecided option and therefore many people are only making up their minds last minute. That was decision was intentional, to mirror the actual referendum question but does have this byproduct.

Yeah, could well be that, hadnt considered that

Man of Honour
I really hope that whatever happens, Cameron is out of a job tomorrow morning. He's lost so much confidence from people on both sides of the argument that surely he's in a pretty bad position to continue for 3-4 more years.

I'm a tory voter before I'm jumped on :p

Caporegime
CloUHyjXIAEjXWV.jpg

Associate
Oh absolutely. So what happens now, a lot of disillusioned people filling the ranks of ukip? Win/win for them really, as they wouldn't have a reason to exist anymore if 'leave' won.

If Remain wins the issue of Europe will be fought at the next GE as well. UKIP got 4 million votes last time. How many more will they get if remain wins and lots of leave voters are left disgruntled?

Associate
The thing is when we have all the **** heaped on us in the months and years to come you won't find anybody who will admit to voting to Remain

Soldato
I really hope that whatever happens, Cameron is out of a job tomorrow morning. He's lost so much confidence from people on both sides of the argument that surely he's in a pretty bad position to continue for 3-4 more years.

I'm a tory voter before I'm jumped on :p

I can't see that happening.

Although i do agree if the vote goes towards leave, then how can he have the countries best interests at heart when it didn't go the way he would have liked.

Associate
Cameron can stil lead if leave wins. He would have to show that he is a leader though, which is hasn't done thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom