The 'Everything Adobe Lightroom' Thread

Soldato
Im finding the whole workflow thing really interesting, because Ive been racking my brains trying to find a way to make PP easier. I think Im going to go for Lightroom, got to find somewhere cheap enough now :)

Soldato
Most of the Lightroom reviews I've read emphasize that the real value of it seem to be in batch processing sets of images with pre-sets.
Is this the case?

Associate
OP
Most of the Lightroom reviews I've read emphasize that the real value of it seem to be in batch processing sets of images with pre-sets.
Is this the case?

I've never used that feature. Mainly because I don't know what preset i what to use on any photo until i view it. I rarely use the same preset twice in a row as I like some difference. :)

Associate
Lightroom is fantastic, I've been using it since beta and can't conceive of a photographic life without it. In terms of batch processing I apply a preset to all my files when importing, these are camera specifc and apply minor boosts as I shoot in neutral and colour correction. As lightroom has developed I find myself using photoshop less and less, the intelligent selection with the adjustment brush makes processing so much easier.

Soldato
For those who want to make sure they know the basics watch these videos by Adobe hosted by Julian Khost. Not only does she do an excellent job of walking step by step but she explains why and it will come in effect in all real life scenarios.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/lightroom/tutorials.html

In my opinion, like that Raymond said I now use LR to organise my photos than individually on Photoshop. Much much quicker!

Associate
OP
the last time i used Lightroom was version 1 and i must admit i didn't really get on with it to well so have stuck to photoshop. Is LR3 better?

I thought 2.2 was good. I upgraded to 3.2 and was blown away!!

the noise remover is 100% better and some of the other features detailed by others above are sweet.

It's my one-stop photo library/developing/sideshow viewer/printing app.

Wouldn't be without it :) (I should work for Adobe and try and get some commission!)

Associate
OP
For those who want to make sure they know the basics watch these videos by Adobe hosted by Julian Khost. Not only does she do an excellent job of walking step by step but she explains why and it will come in effect in all real life scenarios.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/lightroom/tutorials.html

In my opinion, like that Raymond said I now use LR to organise my photos than individually on Photoshop. Much much quicker!

Nice find. First posted updated with link :) cheers.

Soldato
Is it possible to do the following:

I have imported around 2200 photos, I want to have two versions of these, accessible as if they were separate libraries. I know you can create virtual copies, but they get mixed in with the originals. Can I separate them out to another library?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Soldato
Is it possible to do the following:

I have imported around 2200 photos, I want to have two versions of these, accessible as if they were separate libraries. I know you can create virtual copies, but they get mixed in with the originals. Can I separate them out to another library?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Yes you can seperate them in separate libraries, are the source already in 2 separate folders?

Soldato
No, they're in one folder at the moment. I have just realised that makes more sense though, just to copy all the RAWs to another folder and import again.

What is it you want to do? You could have two catalogues looking at the same source, I think the presets, cropping etc. are stored in the catalogue somewhere rather than as a file that sits alongside the RAW. If this was all you were doing it would save you same disk space? I'd test it on some sample data first though :D

Associate
OP
I believe it gives you the option to either save the presets with or without the catalog. meaning that you could use the same presets in a number of different catalogs.

Personally, (from what he said he wanted) I'd setup my folder structure like this;

Lightroom Images (Root directory)
- RAW - all raw get imported in here
--- Sub folders for years
----- Sub folders for days
- Produced images
--- Sub folders for years
----- Sub folders for days

I'd import all file from my camera to the RAW folder and work on them there. when finished I'd move a copy to the produced images section and file in the same way. that way you have both raw and produced images filed the same for easy access.

Hope that helps :)

Soldato
My workflow is a little different to most.

1) Import the RAW files and rate (if necessary). These likely will never be touched again.

2) Export the photos to process as .PSDs.

3) Import the .PSDs and use this as my main collection.

4) Make a generic preset and apply it to similar photos.

5) Edit the original .PSDs in photoshop (Lightroom > right-click > Edit in > Edit it Adobe Photoshop CS4) for any correctional work (removal of dust-spots, popping the eyes, high-pass sharpening, whatever). This way you keep your lightroom adjustments, which can be changed at any time, while the base image can be altered in any way as normal in Photoshop. I find this invaluable.

6) Set the crops and other photo-specific tweaks in lightroom.

7) Use Lightroom to export to a web gallery, or Photoshop to crop individual prints for any orders or whatever.

Associate
My workflow is a little different to most.

1) Import the RAW files and rate (if necessary). These likely will never be touched again.

2) Export the photos to process as .PSDs.

3) Import the .PSDs and use this as my main collection.

4) Make a generic preset and apply it to similar photos.

5) Edit the original .PSDs in photoshop (Lightroom > right-click > Edit in > Edit it Adobe Photoshop CS4) for any correctional work (removal of dust-spots, popping the eyes, high-pass sharpening, whatever). This way you keep your lightroom adjustments, which can be changed at any time, while the base image can be altered in any way as normal in Photoshop. I find this invaluable.

6) Set the crops and other photo-specific tweaks in lightroom.

7) Use Lightroom to export to a web gallery, or Photoshop to crop individual prints for any orders or whatever.

Just to let you know, if you right click the raw and edit in photoshop it automatically create a duplicate, no need to export PSDs. The whole point of lightroom is that its non-destructive! Also don't crop in photoshop because its permanent :) in lightroom you can go back and change the crop without having to redo all the post processing again.

Associate
I started using Adobe Lightroom earlier this year. Got a good discount for it froma friend who works at a local shop.

I am not a professional photographer, but have found lightroom invaluable for organising and keywording all my photos I take on days out and holidays.

I don't really use all the develop settings as those are way way advanced and complex for me to understand. But thoroughly use the library module to organise, keyword and set copyright info. The filtering system is second to none and can locate a shot very quickly.

So far, I have 10,449 photos within my catalog.

Soldato
I started using Adobe Lightroom earlier this year. Got a good discount for it froma friend who works at a local shop.

I am not a professional photographer, but have found lightroom invaluable for organising and keywording all my photos I take on days out and holidays.

I don't really use all the develop settings as those are way way advanced and complex for me to understand. But thoroughly use the library module to organise, keyword and set copyright info. The filtering system is second to none and can locate a shot very quickly.

So far, I have 10,449 photos within my catalog.

All jpgs and no raws I hope.

Associate
Yeh, I have all jpgs in there. As I said, its for basic consumer photography and use only basic settings but Lightroom is a great tool for me to organise hotos and if I want to delve a little deeper in the future it will permit me to do that.

Back
Top Bottom