The FA CUP Fifth Round ** Spoilers ** [16th - 19th February 2018] + Replays

Caporegime
commentators say he got it right he's set s precedent there. every other player who stalls their run up should be booked and a free kick given to the oppossition

wont happen though

Commentators can say what they want, they are commentators, but they are wrong. What you're not allowed to do is swing your leg at the ball as if you're shooting, but then stop, then shoot. You can stutter or stop in your run as much as you want, it's legal, it's written directly there in the rules. If you watch a replay of it Son makes zero attempt to look like he's swinging, he just stops his run up and it's allowed.

Also for me I can't for the life of me see how the Moura block is not a clear and obvious penalty, I think it is Jenas who says that the replay of that one isn't obvious so can't be given. I mean he steps across Moura, doesn't get the ball, takes Moura down, I can't see how it can be seen as anything but a penalty.

Soldato
Commentators can say what they want, they are commentators, but they are wrong. What you're not allowed to do is swing your leg at the ball as if you're shooting, but then stop, then shoot. You can stutter or stop in your run as much as you want, it's legal, it's written directly there in the rules. If you watch a replay of it Son makes zero attempt to look like he's swinging, he just stops his run up and it's allowed.

Also for me I can't for the life of me see how the Moura block is not a clear and obvious penalty, I think it is Jenas who says that the replay of that one isn't obvious so can't be given. I mean he steps across Moura, doesn't get the ball, takes Moura down, I can't see how it can be seen as anything but a penalty.

Where does it say you can stop? It says feint...also says if the ref thinks its unsporting its a yellow.

He stopped for a couple of seconds...thats not a feint.

Caporegime
VAR itself isn't the problem, it's just that the standard of refereeing is so poor across the board that even with VAR they still don't know what they are doing and what they should be awarding or penalising. The inconsistencies won't go away, they're just being deferred.

Yup, VAR itself isn't a problem, though just giving the ref a switchable mic so he can say he's looking at VAR and explain a decision should be simple as hell. If you have idiots infront of the screens nothing will get better. None of the things being called were complex and needed seeing again and again.

The Llorente goal, he didn't pull the player out of the way, he went down because he got behind Llorente and he actually kicks out at Llorente's legs, that's a straight penalty and it was also the Rochdale player who pulled Llorente's shirt first. Absurd decision to disallow the goal, utterly absurd.

Absurd to disallow the penalty. The ref on the pitch and the video refs are incompetent, without VAR this game would likely be a joke. He didn't give the penalty for the pullback which continued into the box, the first goal would have been allowed, if Son took a penalty it would have been disallowed incorrectly for a completely legal stop in his run up.

Caporegime
Where does it say you can stop? It says feint...also says if the ref thinks its unsporting its a yellow.

He stopped for a couple of seconds...thats not a feint.

What do you think it means by feinting, you think it means drop a shoulder and feint going left? There is one thing you can feint in a run up... when you arrive, that means changing your speed of approach. Numerous times other players have stopped in their run ups across europe in the past year since the rule was officially changed to allow it.

Caporegime
The commentators gave their opinion after consulting with Chris Foy(?) who said it was the correct decision.

So? A ref on the pitch got it wrong, the refs in the video booth got it wrong and Chris Foy got it wrong only confirming that referees often talk bull. Every week refs involved in commentating are asked for their opinions and they are frequently incorrect.

Don
So? A ref on the pitch got it wrong, the refs in the video booth got it wrong and Chris Foy got it wrong only confirming that referees often talk bull. Every week refs involved in commentating are asked for their opinions and they are frequently incorrect.
Officials do make mistakes but I'd hazard a guess that both the VAR ref and Chris Foy, having viewed the replays will have a rough idea of what the laws are and how to apply them in this scenario.

Caporegime
Out of interest, where's the orange ball?

Officials do make mistakes but I'd hazard a guess that both the VAR ref and Chris Foy, having viewed the replays will have a rough idea of what the laws are and how to apply them in this scenario.
I can only assume the ref decided Son had completed his run up, then stopped and kicked the ball so classed it as an illegal feint.

The only point to argue is whether the extra step Son took to place his standing foot before striking the ball is considered as continuing the run up or not.

Should be made to explain the decision after the match.

Back
Top Bottom