The FA CUP Fourth Round ** Spoilers ** [26th - 28th January 2019]

Soldato
It is kind of ironic how after Spurs fans have slated Arsenal for just winning the top 4 trophy year on year but now find themselves in exactly the same situation with the same late Jan / early Feb collapse. Least we got some FA Cups in the process.

Soldato
Always a hoot when spud supporters chime in about Arsenal :p.

Spuds are now starting to go through what Arsenal have been through and to some extent still going through.

Nothing wrong with asking Ozil to track back in all honesty. Sure he isn’t that sort of player but by now he knows what Emery wants and isn’t giving it so sits on the bench.

Honestly I hope we sell him whether it be at a loss or whatever. He’s not a player that we can rely on, disappears when we play the big teams but shows up against the small teams etc.
yup. ozil disappears in big games

Caporegime
It is kind of ironic how after Spurs fans have slated Arsenal for just winning the top 4 trophy year on year but now find themselves in exactly the same situation with the same late Jan / early Feb collapse. Least we got some FA Cups in the process.

In the same way it's funny Arsenal fans used to mock Tottenham for playing in the Europa League and now find themselves stuck there... It's just part of the rivalry isn't it? Arsenal went though a 9 year period of finishing in the top 4 without winning anything, Tottenham have been there a couple of years.

That said, I'm really not liking Poch's comments about not needing to win a trophy because it just builds ego and the League/UCL is the most important thing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I mean there was obviously a point in time where you loved him enough to put him in your signature so you must be disappointed about Ozil's fate :p
I still like him though :confused: disappointed?? Of course there is some disappointment with him but that doesn’t detract from the fact that on his day he is superb. But those days are far and in between now so maybe it’s time to cut him loose.

Don
The Spurs manager responded by shaking his head very deliberately before reaching into his tracksuit trouser pocket, turning it inside out and showing it was empty. To general amusement, he looked at his press officer. “He [the journalist] asks me if I am going to spend money,” Pochettino said. “I don’t have money!”

Pochettino was then asked whether the club had any money. Once again, he turned his pocket inside out to indicate it was empty.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...tottenham-rules-out-january-signings-no-money

Even if Poch comes out and says there is money but he's choosing not to spend it, I wouldn't believe him. One thing he's been very good at is towing the party line and not put any extra pressure on Levy and the rest of the board.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty much. As I said he's been offered players and turned them down. Not posting the link because I'm not putting any traffic DM's way.

Having money to spend and being able to bring in quality players is a very different proposition. Say Levy is going to give Poch £150m to spend in the summer and says "you can spend some of that now or you can spend it in the summer". He has money but who is available that will A) improve the first team B) Move in January

He could buy a few stop gap players that don't get a sniff at the first XI when all players are fit and don't make much difference to Spurs league or CL campaigns. Poch probably reckons he can still get top 4 with the players he has and barring Kane none of his absentees are long term.

Its all a bit of a game of chance and spending now won't guarantee anything but having less money to spend in the future.

Caporegime
Another interesting/alternative view is selling Eriksen and using the money to buy 3/4 quality players. But seeing as Eriksen was about the only successful signing from when we sold Bale, I don't see that working.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Another interesting/alternative view is selling Eriksen and using the money to buy 3/4 quality players. But seeing as Eriksen was about the only successful signing from when we sold Bale, I don't see that working.

How much do you think you will get for Erikson and how many players of the quality required to replace him will you get for that money. Erikson is a massive part of Spurs success and you would struggle to replace him with anyone of a similar quality. What other areas of the team would you like to see that money strengthen as well? Backup striker?

Caporegime
How much do you think you will get for Erikson and how many players of the quality required to replace him will you get for that money. Erikson is a massive part of Spurs success and you would struggle to replace him with anyone of a similar quality. What other areas of the team would you like to see that money strengthen as well? Backup striker?

Won't be an awful lot if he continues to let his contract run, it's got another year and a bit but that affects the value. Probably £100m? Not worth it IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom