The Great Big FFP Debate

Was that in response to my question? The panel found that the PL should have handed over information earlier than they did (the PL did provide City with the database) but that their calculations for determining the deals were not FMV were not unreasonable.

Clubs having access to a database of commercial deals won't enable them to secure commercial deals above FMV - deals will still need to be FMV, clubs will just know what others are getting.
The way i have read it is, with clubs like city and Newcastle was they could submit a deal for sponsorship and the PL could knock it back (or the PL could just sit on it and not give a response like they did with city) saying it was rejected because it was above FMV not knowing how much above FMV it was, now clubs will know exactly how much a FMV deal will be.

The way i have read it is, with clubs like city and Newcastle was they could submit a deal for sponsorship and the PL could knock it back (or the PL could just sit on it and not give a response like they did with city) saying it was rejected because it was above FMV not knowing how much above FMV it was, now clubs will know exactly how much a FMV deal will be.
I've not read the full judgement nor do I know the exact timetable of how City's deals were rejected (they were given the database at some point however and didn't resubmit their deals) however the top and bottom of it is that deals need to be of FMV. That's all that ultimately matters.

FMV is what Newcastle (or whoever) should be able to get from non related parties. Whether Newcastle are told what FMV is for any given deal doesn't really matter in my opinion because they still can't agree a deal for more than what they could achieve from a non Saudi company.

Was that in response to my question? The panel found that the PL should have handed over information earlier than they did (the PL did provide City with the database) but that their calculations for determining the deals were not FMV were not unreasonable.

Clubs having access to a database of commercial deals won't enable them to secure commercial deals above FMV - deals will still need to be FMV, clubs will just know what others are getting.
No just catching up on a few things but having access to data the PL will have a harder time rejecting deals and easier to prove FMV by bench marking other clubs.

Now I’m not claiming 200million shirt sponsorship etc.

Also looks like a lot of extra rules they rushed in to make it even harder to pass deals was unlawful.

....but having access to data the PL will have a harder time rejecting deals and easier to prove FMV by bench marking other clubs....
I'm not sure how it makes things harder for the PL. If a deal is above FMV they can reject it. I really fail to see any meaningful advantage to clubs knowing what others are getting in relation to FMV. What is FMV for Newcastle shouldn't be a surprise to Newcastle. They don't need to be told what Villa are getting to know what, give or take, they can legitimately put through as FMV.

Ultimately what Newcastle (or whoever) can successfully argue is FMV is the same value that they should be able to secure on the open market so I don't really care if Newcastle sign a deal with Saudi Telecom for £10m instead of EE. You can argue it makes Newcastle's work easier but ultimately you're not going to benefit from greater commercial deals through this change.

I'm not sure how it makes things harder for the PL. If a deal is above FMV they can reject it. I really fail to see any meaningful advantage to clubs knowing what others are getting in relation to FMV. What is FMV for Newcastle shouldn't be a surprise to Newcastle. They don't need to be told what Villa are getting to know what, give or take, they can legitimately put through as FMV.

Ultimately what Newcastle (or whoever) can successfully argue is FMV is the same value that they should be able to secure on the open market so I don't really care if Newcastle sign a deal with Saudi Telecom for £10m instead of EE. You can argue it makes Newcastle's work easier but ultimately you're not going to benefit for greater commercial deals through this change.
Where does it state that the club must have a matching non owned sponsorship of the same value? If I’m not mistaken that was one of the rules that the PL tried to rush in. As far as going the clubs needed at least 3 matching deals. Which they now have to backpedal or the vote failed. Can’t remember if it passed.

Again we will only really know more once the rules are amended and put in place. Which shouldn’t be long.

It’s nice to have things out in the public. We were referenced a lot in the paperwork and seem to be the catalyst for the panic among some of the clubs.

Where does it state that the club must have a matching non owned sponsorship of the same value? If I’m not mistaken that was one of the rules that the PL tried to rush in. As far as going the clubs needed at least 3 matching deals. Which they now have to backpedal or the vote failed. Can’t remember if it passed.

Again we will only really know more once the rules are amended and put in place. Which shouldn’t be long.

It’s nice to have things out in the public. We were referenced a lot in the paperwork and seem to be the catalyst for the panic among some of the clubs.
I didn't state that they must have matching deals of the same value. I stated that what is fair market value for a club is the amount that they can be reasonably expected to earn from a non related party. This amount, give or take a % or 2, isn't going to come as a massive shock to clubs. Newcastle seeing a spreadsheet that shows what Villa earn from their x sponsor isn't going to be some great advantage to them. It might save them some time but that's about it. What is FMV for Newcastle isn't going to change because they know what Villa earn.

What is FMV for Newcastle is going to be the same regardless of the amendment to the rules and that figure is the same as what they should be able to get from a non Saudi deal.

I didn't state that they must have matching deals of the same value. I stated that what is fair market value for a club is the amount that they can be reasonably expected to earn from a non related party. This amount, give or take a % or 2, isn't going to come as a massive shock to clubs. Newcastle seeing a spreadsheet that shows what Villa earn from their x sponsor isn't going to be some great advantage to them. It might save them some time but that's about it. What is FMV for Newcastle isn't going to change because they know what Villa earn.

What is FMV for Newcastle is going to be the same regardless of the amendment to the rules and that figure is the same as what they should be able to get from a non Saudi deal.
Again going back to my previous post the onus now lies with PL to prove a deal is not FMV not for the club to prove it is. That’s pretty big and they can’t sit and bury their heads in the sand which is their go to tactic.

Again going back to my previous post the onus now lies with PL to prove a deal is not FMV not for the club to prove it is. That’s pretty big and they can’t sit and bury their heads in the sand which is their go to tactic.
And the panel found that the PL's methodology for determining what is FMV (in relation to the 2 rejected City deals) was "not unreasonable". They're going to have to go through the process again because of procedural errors (the timing of which info was provided to City etc) however again, the way in which the PL determined FMV of City's deals was supported.

I'd suggest reading the twitter thread I posted above because it seems you and most people believing this to be a big win for City are misinformed or simply clutching at straws.

Back
Top Bottom