• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Are you running one 980 Ti? Must be a stress at 4k, no? I'm guessing you're coming from console gaming and are happy with sub 60fps? Not a bad thing at all if that is the case;) I can't stand anything below 60fps personally:(

Wow gaming with this card at 4k with the latest games is such a fun experience. I find myself just wondering about in games looking at the scenery and graphics in awe lol

I didn't realise how crisp, detailed and sharp the visuals would be at 4k. I definitely don't regret spending all this money haha

I have some friends coming over tomorrow to check it out, they think that PS4 graphics are amazing and impressive and I just keep telling them to try out 4k gaming on my machine and see if they can notice any difference.

I've been playing:

GTA 5
Witcher 3
Advanced Warfare
Shadow of Mordor (although I'm not overly impressed with the graphics, I keep reading about this high texture pack, how can I get it?)
Mortal Kombat X
Dying Light

All running on maximum settings (which one or two turned off like MSAA) but I use FXAA instead, smooth gameplay in every game and very playable. No problems at all.

Are there any other impressive visual games? I was thinking about Elite Dangerous, any other sci fi games?

Associate
Are you running one 980 Ti? Must be a stress at 4k, no? I'm guessing you're coming from console gaming and are happy with sub 60fps? Not a bad thing at all if that is the case;) I can't stand anything below 60fps personally:(

One single G1 card yeah :p, I may get a second next year depending on Pascal prices.

What do you mean? As in low frame rates?

To me it's perfectly playable and smooth, I don't understand how people say they can't play at anything below 60fps unless you guys have crazy vision lol

But then again I'm glad I find it playable at sub 60 fps since it means a cheaper experience at 4k :D

Associate
One single G1 card yeah :p, I may get a second next year depending on Pascal prices.

What do you mean? As in low frame rates?

To me it's perfectly playable and smooth, I don't understand how people say they can't play at anything below 60fps unless you guys have crazy vision lol

But then again I'm glad I find it playable at sub 60 fps since it means a cheaper experience at 4k :D

Well exactly! If you find it perfectly playable now then why bother with another 980 Ti. It seems your ready to go as is. Unfortunately I still get stressed when my SLI 980 goes below 60fps on Witcher 3;(

Associate
Using 2x ACX SC 980 Tis in a H440 case with front panel CLOSED results in surprisingly good GPU temperatures. With a 1-1 profile I'm getting 76 degrees top card and 71 degrees bottom card.

What I noticed though is that closing the front panel seems to increase my CPU temperature, which sits at around 75 degrees. That's with a H105 with Noctua NF F12 PPC 2000 RPM fans in push configuration. Ambient temperature though is very high since its a hot day today, and for testing purposes I turned off my powerful room fan which is usually always on.

Associate
Using 2x ACX SC 980 Tis in a H440 case with front panel CLOSED results in surprisingly good GPU temperatures. With a 1-1 profile I'm getting 76 degrees top card and 71 degrees bottom card.

What I noticed though is that closing the front panel seems to increase my CPU temperature, which sits at around 75 degrees. That's with a H105 with Noctua NF F12 PPC 2000 RPM fans in push configuration. Ambient temperature though is very high since its a hot day today, and for testing purposes I turned off my powerful room fan which is usually always on.

You should run reference design cards in SLI. You're basically blowing hot air around your case otherwise.

Associate
You should run reference design cards in SLI. You're basically blowing hot air around your case otherwise.

Its fine. I evidently have decent air flow and there's a LOT of heat coming outside the back of the case. But yeah reference coolers definitely leave the inside of your case much cooler.

Associate
I just bought the MSI 980Ti (ref) which will get here tomorrow. I'm upgrading from an ATI 7970 as it wasn't up to the task for 4k. I'll be looking to get another 980Ti and SLI them next month.

Hopefully this will open up GTA5 at 4k.

I was waiting for a Fury X but meh, I'm not keen on the 4GB. Ah well, I've moved from ATI to NVidia.......

Associate
I just bought the MSI 980Ti (ref) which will get here tomorrow. I'm upgrading from an ATI 7970 as it wasn't up to the task for 4k. I'll be looking to get another 980Ti and SLI them next month.

Hopefully this will open up GTA5 at 4k.

I was waiting for a Fury X but meh, I'm not keen on the 4GB. Ah well, I've moved from ATI to NVidia.......

All you had to do was wait one more week;)

Permabanned
If the OCUK 980Ti is in stock i'm presuming that the pre built watercooled version will be built instantly with this stock right? how are peoples experiences with this? the price premium isnt too much at all and it'd save me the hassle of having to strip and watercool a card when they get here instead

Soldato

The CPU overclocked as well I take it? Mine maxes around the low 60's, but then again I have the 110iGT cooler on it.

Even so, the GPU temps are darn nice, and knowing the ACX coolers running a 1-1 fan profile on them things are still quiet. I'd say they're probably as loud as my reference ones on default profile then.

Associate
All you had to do was wait one more week;)

I'd already waited a few months. when it was shown at E3 and confirmed to only have 4GB I decided to go with the 6GB 980Ti. I play GTA 5 a lot and the 4GB just aint enough. 6GB seems perfect.

I don't think the Fury X will be all it's cracked up to be.. The HBM won't be a game changer methinks

Associate
I'd already waited a few months. when it was shown at E3 and confirmed to only have 4GB I decided to go with the 6GB 980Ti. I play GTA 5 a lot and the 4GB just aint enough. 6GB seems perfect.

I don't think the Fury X will be all it's cracked up to be.. The HBM won't be a game changer methinks

From everything I've read it certainly is. And the pure fact it allows the card to be so small is a bonus in itself!

Soldato
If the OCUK 980Ti is in stock i'm presuming that the pre built watercooled version will be built instantly with this stock right? how are peoples experiences with this? the price premium isnt too much at all and it'd save me the hassle of having to strip and watercool a card when they get here instead

When I asked, OCUK stated that they use whatever card they in stock, so if either the ASUS, Palit or MSI are in stock and the waterblock and/or backplate is yes though it could take two days as they have to build it for you (I believe this wait time is on all Techlab products)

Associate
The CPU overclocked as well I take it? Mine maxes around the low 60's, but then again I have the 110iGT cooler on it.

Even so, the GPU temps are darn nice, and knowing the ACX coolers running a 1-1 fan profile on them things are still quiet. I'd say they're probably as loud as my reference ones on default profile then.

Yeah CPU OCd to 4.6 Ghz / 1.280v. It's a hot running chip even at stock unfortunately, but with the front panel open it seems to reduce CPU temps by a significant amount. Although there's not a big difference in GPU temps, it seems to really help the directional air flow from front of the case to the back, thereby reducing the amount of hot air that lingers inside which is affecting all of the CPU cooling components. At least, that's the sense I made out of it. Still I'm surprised it doesn't affect GPU temps as much.

Also I'm sending back the second card to OCUK. The LED lights have a bluish tint that's especially odd next to the normal white LEDs on the top card. It also has a crumpled sticker label on the shroud which is ugly. Given the really low ASIC for a superclocked model, it seems this particular card barely passed QC. Hopefully my next one will be better, and as long as the exterior is as it should be for a brand new card, I don't mind a low ASIC per se.

Associate
I have being playing today, but I either have a driver issue or the rig I was using had NVIDIA sabotage going on as the performance was not as per expectation, should have being quicker.

Now got the Fury home with me and shall play with it over weekend comparing to my 290X and 980Ti G1. But from the press pack I have the Fury X is a 980Ti competitor, not a beater and not a loser.

Also NVIDIA are not going to move 980Ti price, simply no way as they know MSRP on Fury X is around £549 inc. VAT, same price as their 980Ti which they will argue has more features and more VRAM.

Also NVIDIA will not move price when AMD has such limited stocks and all resellers are price gouging and sell way over £600 due to such limited stocks.

This sub £500 980Ti is a truly genuine deal, a very silly one at that and yes OcUK does lose nearly £3 a card, this is purely a marketing stunt. Take one of the best 980Ti on the market with best warranty and then move sub £500 and make a load of noise!! Marketing!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom