• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Wow gaming with this card at 4k with the latest games is such a fun experience. I find myself just wondering about in games looking at the scenery and graphics in awe lol

I didn't realise how crisp, detailed and sharp the visuals would be at 4k. I definitely don't regret spending all this money haha

I have some friends coming over tomorrow to check it out, they think that PS4 graphics are amazing and impressive and I just keep telling them to try out 4k gaming on my machine and see if they can notice any difference.

I've been playing:

GTA 5
Witcher 3
Advanced Warfare
Shadow of Mordor (although I'm not overly impressed with the graphics, I keep reading about this high texture pack, how can I get it?)
Mortal Kombat X
Dying Light

All running on maximum settings (which one or two turned off like MSAA) but I use FXAA instead, smooth gameplay in every game and very playable. No problems at all.

Are there any other impressive visual games? I was thinking about Elite Dangerous, any other sci fi games?

The Shadow of Mordor HD pack can be downloaded by right clicking on the game in your Steam list, and selecting 'downloadable content'. It's a free add on. (4gb in size)

Playing the game, it leaves me with 1.6gb memory to spare roughly.

Soldato
Yeah CPU OCd to 4.6 Ghz / 1.280v. It's a hot running chip even at stock unfortunately, but with the front panel open it seems to reduce CPU temps by a significant amount. Although there's not a big difference in GPU temps, it seems to really help the directional air flow from front of the case to the back, thereby reducing the amount of hot air that lingers inside which is affecting all of the CPU cooling components. At least, that's the sense I made out of it. Still I'm surprised it doesn't affect GPU temps as much.

Also I'm sending back the second card to OCUK. The LED lights have a bluish tint that's especially odd next to the normal white LEDs on the top card. It also has a crumpled sticker label on the shroud which is ugly. Given the really low ASIC for a superclocked model, it seems this particular card barely passed QC. Hopefully my next one will be better, and as long as the exterior is as it should be for a brand new card, I don't mind a low ASIC per se.

Ah yeah, the increased voltage ups the temps even more.
I take it your rad's fans are set as exhausts, so the GPU hot air is all forced over the CPU. Explains that really.

Pity about the second card, hopefully they exchange it without issue for you.

Soldato
Lads is it worth overclocking the EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0+? Would one see much higher FPS on the likes of GTA V? Is it really worth it?

Overclocking the base, also ups the Boost clock, so if you up the base to let's say 1250Mhz your Boost will reach up to 1450+Mhz which could be a big improvement.

Associate
Ah yeah, the increased voltage ups the temps even more.
I take it your rad's fans are set as exhausts, so the GPU hot air is all forced over the CPU. Explains that really.

Pity about the second card, hopefully they exchange it without issue for you.

They won't exchange it since the issues are minor, which to be fair is true. I'll just return it for a refund and buy another from elsewhere. I just feel in principle the exterior of a card should be in pristine condition when its brand new, and I always make sure my stuff is in excellent condition for when I sell it on later.

That's a beast of a case. I think it's much easier to install components with the case down horizontally though. I can never get comfortable tinkering with my case side ways on.

Associate
You are saying so much about 4k it makes me wonder if I did the right thing going for 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor. Wrong decision? I have not seen 4k monitor before.

Soldato
They won't exchange it since the issues are minor, which to be fair is true. I'll just return it for a refund and buy another from elsewhere. I just feel in principle the exterior of a card should be in pristine condition when its brand new, and I always make sure my stuff is in excellent condition for when I sell it on later.

I agree! I don't understand when people neglect their things.

I hope you get a super item then.

Associate
That's a beast of a case. I think it's much easier to install components with the case down horizontally though. I can never get comfortable tinkering with my case side ways on.

Very true mate, was one of the reasons I went with the Silverstone TemJin TJ11 the thing is F-ing Huge!!!

A ton of space for a H2O loops. And of course the 90 degree orientation of the MOBO which is a touch of magic, you wouldn't think something as simple of mounting the MOBO vertically would make that much of a difference.

But when you consider the weight of GPU's now days it just make a lot of sense to have it set up like that. Absolutely zero flex on the MOBO.

I purchased the case back in 2011 when it was new and it cost a heck of a lot. Even now its pretty dame expensive but for good reason. Its still a great case even 5 years later...

D,

Caporegime
Sli again mate, we do tend to unwittingly copy each other. haswell cpu's, 780 sli. MLG copycats lol.

But i think Paul, 980ti will be a good upgrade for both of us. The g1 looks like the best of the lot so far. But i went msi this time, gaming edition at £575.99 on preorder. Seee its up in price already. This card and maybe an upgrade to skylake 6700k will see me set, (i love new cpu's).

Back
Top Bottom