• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Pulled the trigger right when the HoF became available (cards bought on Friday are likely to arrive on Tuesday) ?

The early reviews on the HOF don't have it too much higher then the other none reference cards. The fact the fan's are always on put me off in the end.

Card was due to arrive this morning but didn't get a timeslot till after dpd "tried" to deliver. guy left a card but at least they will try again tomorrow :)

Caporegime
I wondered the same, but I have noticed it when the fan is on auto too. It isn't audible at lower fan speeds, but if have something like the Afterburner overlay running so you can see the fan RPM, the behaviour you have described still seems to happen, though I grant you it isn't necessarily audible on auto fan setting unless the auto setting is running at a faster RPM when the card goes past a certain temperature.

Mentioned in the hardware canucks review as well.

Lets start with Zotac’s idle and low load temperature management. Once the card moves out of its 0 RPM idle state, the fans slowly pulse themselves to life instead of offering a linear rotational speed transition where RPMs gradually ramp up in parallel with core temperatures. Once the card reaches a predetermined load, power or temperature threshold (we’re not sure which one it is), the fans remain on but level out at a very quiet 1100RPMs.

For that point on most other cards would gradually reduce or increase fan speeds to align with core temperatures to predictive load algorithms. Zotac doesn’t do that. Rather, their fans remain at a lethargic, very quiet speed which seems to be more than enough to cool off the core. Had the AMP! remained at that level, we’d have nothing more to say.

For whatever reason, the fan controller kicks things up a notch to double-time at random intervals. These instances last for a fraction of a second and typically can’t be heard but they were picked up loud and clear by our decibel meter. Luckily, this card is so quiet that even with a doubling of the RPMs in short spurts, it remained quieter than the reference card. One way to overcome this is to use Zotac’s Firestorm software and force the fan speed to run at 35%, allowing for 65°C to 70°C even in the most intense load environments.

Associate
I've been gaming a bit this evening and starting to loathe the fan problem on this card. I also get very loud coil whine in game menus which is quite off-putting. Really don't know what to do at this point as I am worried I will not be able to return it to OCUK for refund if I am still displeased (my 28 day period is up on the 7th of august).

Soldato
Installed both my MSI 6gs, had a couple of hours of GTA5, temps are fine, cards are fairly quiet and they're noticeably quicker than the 980s they replaced. Happiness all round.

Associate
I've been gaming a bit this evening and starting to loathe the fan problem on this card. I also get very loud coil whine in game menus which is quite off-putting. Really don't know what to do at this point as I am worried I will not be able to return it to OCUK for refund if I am still displeased (my 28 day period is up on the 7th of august).

I am sure for a refund it is within 14days.

Associate
Noooo, they are the quiet editions. the performance editions are incredibly loud and i dont think i could do anything with 14 of them on full speed. you can hear 1 of them over all of the 14 quiet edition fans combined thats how loud they are.

Right that makes sense, as like you say it would hard to imagine the system being quiet if they were performance editions. I have a Red G10 bracket on my MSI 6G. The MSI 6G comes with a mid plate covering all the vrms so no modding is needed. You keep it on and keep the backplate on too, it's as if the G10 was made for the 6G. The only thing that needs changing on the G10 is the foam on the back of the NZXT backplate, which you can remove or simply switch it over like I done.

Using a Corsair H75 and push pull SP120 quiet editions on the radiator. I get about mid 40s when benching (just a single run) and the Witcher 3 stays in mid 40s with 51c Max after an hour or so. I put the Quiet editions at 100% (approx 1400rpm) when gaming but they are not loud and quieter than the Twin Frozr at 100%, which is saying something as it's one of the quietest custom coolers. My CPU radiator seems to kick out a lot less heat now heat from the GPU rad is exhausted out the back instead of blown around the case. My Twin Frozr could get to mid to high 70s when benchmarking/gaming so I'm really happy with the results.

Below is not mine but pretty much how the finished article looks on mine except the NZXT backplate is flipped over and minus one card :p.

XGRcUbR.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I am sure for a refund it is within 14days.

Surely the fan problem is a hardware fault? My card also whines at 90fps and above, which is a problem I was hoping I wouldn't have again, especially since my monitor is 100hz and I like to play games at around 100fps for this reason.

Associate
I think it would be considered a fault yes and I doubt they can give you a card that doesn't have the fault as it seems to be a hardware issue.

May return mine to Overclockers next week. In a similar position to many as it's a great card.

Associate
I think it would be considered a fault yes and I doubt they can give you a card that doesn't have the fault as it seems to be a hardware issue.

May return mine to Overclockers next week. In a similar position to many as it's a great card.

Do you think it would be possible for me to receive a refund at all? I suppose if not I could sell it online somewhere for a good price seeing as it has such a high ASIC.

Associate
Surely the fan problem is a hardware fault? My card also whines at 90fps and above, which is a problem I was hoping I wouldn't have again, especially since my monitor is 100hz and I like to play games at around 100fps for this reason.

If it has an issue with the fan then you can RMA for a replacement but i am certain a refund has to be within 14 days. Coil whine is not a valid return reason.

Associate
Jewlario - Are you sure the sound isn't coming from your power supply? I thought it was my card at first, too, until someone on this forum asked me to see if the noise was coming from my PSU, in which case it was.

It seems to be a common problem with Corsair PSUs and GTX 980Tis.

Associate
If it has an issue with the fan then you can RMA for a replacement but i am certain a refund has to be within 14 days. Coil whine is not a valid return reason.

How is coil whine not a valid return reason when tens of people have returned their G1's for that exact reason?

I have had this card in my PC for 24 hours (although purchased it approx. 20 days ago), it whines at the FPS I play at, it has a faulty fan issue which I was not aware of when I bought the card, it also didn't come with the push the limit back plate which was advertised at the time of purchase (this doesn't annoy me so much but it's still not exactly excellent practice).

Can a member of staff shed some light?

Associate
Jewlario - Are you sure the sound isn't coming from your power supply? I thought it was my card at first, too, until someone on this forum asked me to see if the noise was coming from my PSU, in which case it was.

It seems to be a common problem with Corsair PSUs and GTX 980Tis.

I upgraded to a new EVGA G2 power supply this afternoon from my super flower 550 Golden Green, I had the same whine from the card on both units.

I guess I'm just more disappointed than anything. I am extremely sensitive to noises like this.

Permabanned
How is coil whine not a valid return reason when tens of people have returned their G1's for that exact reason?

I have had this card in my PC for 24 hours (although purchased it approx. 20 days ago), it whines at the FPS I play at, it has a faulty fan issue which I was not aware of when I bought the card, it also didn't come with the push the limit back plate which was advertised at the time of purchase (this doesn't annoy me so much but it's still not exactly excellent practice).

Can a member of staff shed some light?

I would return if I had coil whine.

Back
Top Bottom