• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Yeah that's what a lot of people have been saying on multiple forums and OCUK CS said the same thing so that made my decision easier.

Since this is my first high end GPU, is this card worth £50+ more than a reference one?

Since the reviews are of the reference version so I assume I'll be able to get some extra FPS out of this one with the extra cooling/fans?

More than likely clock about roughly the same although, will run cooler and quieter than the reference.

Soldato
If the 390X is stunning beyond belief I think I may be tempted to refuse delivery though :D

Won't happen with me. I have a G-Sync monitor now, and I've suffered enough with AMD drivers, and support. The last cards I owned from them were FirePros and the display driver always crashed if I had any 3D program opened and also opened youtube on a separate monitor.

Never mind the horrifically slow driver and Crossfire profile updates.

Associate
I'm gonna go for the EVGA card and definitely reference design as I may go SLI at a later stage, I just need my 980 to move now in the members market.
No rush really as I won't be able to play with it for another couple of weeks. Still annoyed as I only got the 980 about 3 months ago :( Ah well the price you pay for new toys.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can survive the extra day. Not sure I will have time to get it in my system til weekend anyway.

Got the three 290's to get out of the way, which means probably having to drain loop....

Fairy muff man :D

Did you order 2? I've decided just the one and to drop down to 1440p for the time being (don't do a great deal of gaming in the Summer) :)

Associate
I'm gonna go for the EVGA card and definitely reference design as I may go SLI at a later stage, I just need my 980 to move now in the members market.
No rush really as I won't be able to play with it for another couple of weeks. Still annoyed as I only got the 980 about 3 months ago :( Ah well the price you pay for new toys.

Why do you need a reference design for SLI?

I've always had single GPU's so I don't know much about SLI but with the card I bought (EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0) can I SLI that with another 980ti model in the future?

Or can you only SLI with reference designs?

I'm confused :confused:

Soldato
Why do you need a reference design for SLI?

I've always had single GPU's so I don't know much about SLI but with the card I bought (EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0) can I SLI that with another 980ti model in the future?

Or can you only SLI with reference designs?

I'm confused :confused:

The only reason its different is the cooler design which exhausts heat outside of the case and is thus better thermally for sli.

Associate
Delighted the waiting paid off, I've been dreaming of a top end EVGA card for a while,...I had to compromise on my GFX card when I built my current PC as I ran out of money so bought a used 780ti 12 months ago. Nearly bought a Titan X but glad I waited.

I went for the EVGA 980ti Hybrid as I love that design, want the benefits of a silent watercooling card (but don't have the expertise/time) and it's OC looks great. 5 Year warranty too.

Looks like I'll have to wait for a while as there is no ETA but delighted with that price and legendary OCUK service. And of course, happy to contribute ever so slightly to this amazing forum being maintained!

Will be checking the ship dates every day and in the mean time, will have to live vicariously through all of your cards arriving. Anyone else go for the Hybrid?

Associate
The only reason its different is the cooler design which exhausts heat outside of the case and is thus better thermally for sli.

Ah right that makes sense, thanks for that.

Now I'm wondering if it's worth changing to a reference model!

I'm hoping this card will last me 2-3 years at 4k with medium/high settings. Then I'll probably jump on one of the new 16nm cards in 2017.

Soldato
Is there any way to know if the EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Superclocked ACX 2.0 will have heatsinks on the VRM's once cooler removed?

Associate
Order the EVGA Classified, no delivery date yet but I can wait. I have a 780Ti Classified currently and its been excellent.

No mention of the backplate and a free game being included as per the Superclocked version.

Associate
Well what a complete and UTTER waste of time that drive was.

They took the money, order being sorted in warehouse, get there...opps nope we havent got any.

This is besides me double checking the stock which still showed 10+ and right now still shows 1 in stock.

Luckily, my card should be refunded within 7 days.

Last time I ever shop here.

Soldato
Im a bit worried now about the reference design ones, a few from the other thread are saying they run very hot (near 85c and close to thermal throttling) and are very loud, having ordered the Evga reference one myself this is has me a little concerned.

Should I change it to a non-referenced one or will it be ok?

Back
Top Bottom