• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
You don't need to set anything to 100% :D
I have pump and radiator fan as default PWM (so ranges from 60 to 85% during load).
The 92mm fan at 100% just because it's silent (Silent Wing fitted there).

You can check this one.

I've now completed the set up (along with replacing all internal fans with decent Noctua's) The H55 radiator fan is sharing a header with the CPU radiator fans and it's all running nicely. All fans PWM controlled by CPU temps.

You got everything down there really, the only fiddly part is attaching the H55 to the card. Apart from that it's a very easy process with the MSI 6G and I would say not to tighten the screws too much, if anything you can tighten them a bit more if the temps are not under 55c.

Yeah, seeing much better temps than with an air cooler. Totally worth the effort to put the card under AIO water. Sitting around 55-60c under load and only jumps to the 60 mark as the pwn is on the CPU header as mentioned above. The curve set up then brings the temp back down to the 55c mark.

All in all my whole system is running way nicer now and CPU is topping out around 49-50c under load. I guess I could move the GPU Rad fan to another header, but everything seems okay as it is with the cooling set up.

If anyone is finding temps are higher than they like with their 980ti then going for the G10/H55 modification is a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks for the advice from the community.

Soldato
I've now completed the set up (along with replacing all internal fans with decent Noctua's) The H55 radiator fan is sharing a header with the CPU radiator fans and it's all running nicely. All fans PWM controlled by CPU temps.

Yeah, seeing much better temps than with an air cooler. Totally worth the effort to put the card under AIO water. Sitting around 55-60c under load and only jumps to the 60 mark as the pwn is on the CPU header as mentioned above. The curve set up then brings the temp back down to the 55c mark.

All in all my whole system is running way nicer now and CPU is topping out around 49-50c under load. I guess I could move the GPU Rad fan to another header, but everything seems okay as it is with the cooling set up.

If anyone is finding temps are higher than they like with their 980ti then going for the G10/H55 modification is a worthwhile upgrade. Thanks for the advice from the community.

Hopefully my g10 & h55 arrive tommorow.

My 980ti is hitting 80c even with case fans sorted then as its dumping the heat into the case cpu is getting hotter and making all my fans max out.
Hopefully this will make everything cooler.

Permabanned
It's just a shame that Corsair and users aren't committed to the Corsair bracket as we don't know which non reference cards work. imo the Corsair bracket is much nicer looking but maybe Greybeard should look into this in more detail for us or even send out the bracket to people with different makes of 980ti's so we can find out. Beats them buying a whole load of non ref 980tis.

Even the Kraken G10 doesn't list everything but they were readily available for some time and cheap too for users to have a go.

Associate
Hopefully my g10 & h55 arrive tommorow.

My 980ti is hitting 80c even with case fans sorted then as its dumping the heat into the case cpu is getting hotter and making all my fans max out.
Hopefully this will make everything cooler.

I think that you will be very happy with the switch. I feel like I have a new PC. One thing to consider (depending on the case you have) is that the H55 will likely need to go on the back of the case to exhaust. This is due to the length of the tubes from the pump to the radiator of the H55.

I ended up going with the H55 rad on the back 140mm exhaust on the top (at the back) and my 240mm CPU radiator in front of that on the top.

Soldato
can someone tell me what difference is there in fps, with a card boosting to 1500mhz over one boosting to 1400mhz

im saying this as mine seems to get to 1450mhz boost stable i think, GTA5 would run stable for hours with 1500 boost, but with black ops 3 it freezes randomly and seems stable around 1450mhz, i have memory at stock

Thanks

Soldato
can someone tell me what difference is there in fps, with a card boosting to 1500mhz over one boosting to 1400mhz

im saying this as mine seems to get to 1450mhz boost stable i think, GTA5 would run stable for hours with 1500 boost, but with black ops 3 it freezes randomly and seems stable around 1450mhz, i have memory at stock

Thanks

does it have to be in black ops? could try this for you on something like 3d mark if your intersted

edit :- Firestrike Graphics only test results 1080p [sli disabled]

1502/2002

Graphics Score

Graphics Test 1

105.08 fps

Graphics Test 2

84.99 fps

1402/2002

Graphics Score

Graphics Test 1

98.38 fps

Graphics Test 2

80.82 fps

and both cards 1502/2002 for the lolz

Graphics Score

Graphics Test 1

190.64 fps

Graphics Test 2

162.13 fps

Last edited:
Associate
Can somebody please give me some settings for a gentle overclock. I have an EVGA Classified. I've looked around for instructions but cannot fathom it. Using MSI Afterburner and just do not understand what to do!!

Associate

Thanks
If the card isn't pushed to 100% load you're not really testing it.
GTA V is very generous with overclocks.
Do you have The Witcher 3? That's the perfect game for testing (you can see red artefacts when is getting unstable and you can tune it before it crashes).

Otherwise download Unigine Heaven and run it in loop (V-Sync disabled) a few times, that should be good enough.
Once you find the stable core clock go for the memory as well, it's actually worth overclocking (and doesn't even impact temps, so why not).

Soldato
does it have to be in black ops? could try this for you on something like 3d mark if your intersted

edit :- Firestrike Graphics only test results 1080p [sli disabled]

1502/2002

Graphics Score

Graphics Test 1

105.08 fps

Graphics Test 2

84.99 fps

1402/2002

Graphics Score

Graphics Test 1

98.38 fps

Graphics Test 2

80.82 fps

and both cards 1502/2002 for the lolz

Graphics Score

Graphics Test 1

190.64 fps

Graphics Test 2

162.13 fps

If the card isn't pushed to 100% load you're not really testing it.
GTA V is very generous with overclocks.
Do you have The Witcher 3? That's the perfect game for testing (you can see red artefacts when is getting unstable and you can tune it before it crashes).

Otherwise download Unigine Heaven and run it in loop (V-Sync disabled) a few times, that should be good enough.
Once you find the stable core clock go for the memory as well, it's actually worth overclocking (and doesn't even impact temps, so why not).

not really into witcher 3, would be happy with a 1450mhz boost

i have ran Heaven Benchmark 4.0 to test for long periods seemed ok

Soldato

What speed you running your H55 Rad fan at reason I ask is your temps are a little high for 1440 should be around 5-8C cooler. Having the almost but not quite silent H55 fan supplied by Corsair @ 100% RPM makes a massive difference to temps you also get a lot less hot air dumped into the case from the MSI backplate. But use a lower RPM on that fan & or another brand fan with lower CFM case temps skyrocket as the MSI backplate gets hotter faster than it ever did with the MSI stock HSF. Try running the H55 pump from the supplied molex adapter so its 100% note what a difference that makes to temps under load ;)

Also check your H55 is tight enough that can make a big difference to temps.

Mine is running @ 1700RPM with pump on 100%. I get @ 1080 load temps of under 50C & idle 26-28C depending on ambient air temps. @ 4K it jumps to 55-60C under load yours should be much cooler @ 1440 its way less GPU useage.

Waiting for this new rad fan to come from OCUK which gives 1900RPM & much quieter plus it will knock another few C off temps. The key seems to be use a high RPM high CFM fan on the H55 rad makes a massive difference to GPU & case temps. Up to 10C difference @4K!
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblocker-nb-eloop-fan-b12-3-120mm-1900rpm-fg-054-nb.html

Associate
But use a lower RPM on that fan & or another brand fan with lower CFM case temps skyrocket as the MSI backplate gets hotter faster than it ever did with the MSI stock HSF.

I've got the Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions in push pull which have a max rpm of 1400. Thankfully the backplate gets no where near as hot to the touch as it did with the stock Twin Frozr cooler and it's inaudible for me when gaming. I Turn them down to 40% fan speed when idle though. At Ultra HD dsr temps stay under 60c when gaming, no fps cap. As I'm happy to use a fps cap (60Hz 1080p) I usually run lower temps than 55c when gaming.

Soldato
I've got the Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions in push pull which have a max rpm of 1400. Thankfully the backplate gets no where near as hot to the touch as it did with the stock Twin Frozr cooler and it's inaudible for me when gaming. I Turn them down to 40% fan speed when idle though. At Ultra HD dsr temps stay under 60c when gaming, no fps cap. As I'm happy to use a fps cap (60Hz 1080p) I usually run lower temps than 55c when gaming.
1080 is why its so cool if you can try native not DSR 4K watch those temps skyrocket :eek:

Soldato
AWPC, does your card not reach 100% usage @1080/1440p? Do you use a frame cap/vsync?
Yes it does & yes I use Vsync but my native monitor is 4K.

@4K even with H55 + G10 it gets hot but nowhere near the MSI HSF temps. Now this morning I just fitted a new rad fan to the H55 which gives up to 1900RPM & is much quieter plus it knocked 10C off temps. The key seems to be use a high RPM high CFM fan on the H55 rad makes a massive difference to GPU & case temps. Up to 10C difference @4K! https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblocker-nb-eloop-fan-b12-3-120mm-1900rpm-fg-054-nb.html

I am getting 47C right now Batman Arkham Knight maxed out @ 4K. 29C idle thats pretty good. Stock Corsair H55 fan is noiser & about 10C warmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
1080 is why its so cool if you can try native not DSR 4K watch those temps skyrocket :eek:

As I say when I run 1080p with vsync (60Hz screen) it can be as low as 35-40c. When I use 2160p DSR with no frame cap to see how hot the card can get, it does obviously get to 57c maximums, as your card will also at 2160p. The Ultra HD DSR is pushing the same pixels as native 2160p.

Last edited:
Associate
How many people are running on sli have you got good gains. I have my current inno3d x3 under water but thinking of getting another and run on air for a while. Anyone doing this? I have a thermaltake x9 case skylake 6700k. Running at 4k 60hz g-synch I can max out a few games and run some at qhd but got the itch for ultra on 90% of games. People's thought on the upgrade. Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom