• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
What speed you running your H55 Rad fan at reason I ask is your temps are a little high for 1440 should be around 5-8C cooler. Having the almost but not quite silent H55 fan supplied by Corsair @ 100% RPM makes a massive difference to temps you also get a lot less hot air dumped into the case from the MSI backplate. But use a lower RPM on that fan & or another brand fan with lower CFM case temps skyrocket as the MSI backplate gets hotter faster than it ever did with the MSI stock HSF. Try running the H55 pump from the supplied molex adapter so its 100% note what a difference that makes to temps under load ;)

Also check your H55 is tight enough that can make a big difference to temps.

Mine is running @ 1700RPM with pump on 100%. I get @ 1080 load temps of under 50C & idle 26-28C depending on ambient air temps. @ 4K it jumps to 55-60C under load yours should be much cooler @ 1440 its way less GPU useage.

Waiting for this new rad fan to come from OCUK which gives 1900RPM & much quieter plus it will knock another few C off temps. The key seems to be use a high RPM high CFM fan on the H55 rad makes a massive difference to GPU & case temps. Up to 10C difference @4K!
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noiseblocker-nb-eloop-fan-b12-3-120mm-1900rpm-fg-054-nb.html

I've got the pump at 100% and the card sits at 26-27c idle. I have a decent 1500rpm Noctua fan on the radiator, but it was running on a fan curve dictated by the CPU temps - which are now only around 40-44c (shadows or Mordor) or 45-48c (Dragon Age Inquisition). This meant that it wasn;t spinning up to decent rpms when the GPU was under load.

I've jigged around the fan set up and now got it set to a manual 50% fan speed idel and am cranking it up to 100% when gaming. Temps are now topping out at 53c in SoM. Potentially I could reapply the Thermal Grizly as a thin spread (I put the original on as a blob in the centre of the chip) and tighten the pump further.

However, at 1440p and 144hz I'm not totally unhappy with the temps.

all fitted 39C idle 55C load now :) loads better and turbo boost 2 is even giving a small increase. loads better than 80C in fallout and noisy fan.

had to fit mine to the top but that will change once i get my h110i gt into the case.

It is a starting difference that chucking the air out of the case makes huh!

Soldato
Don't not get another 980 Ti !!! :p

Thanks, I am really trying not to pull the trigger. Been saving for Pascal.. I let my nephew have my 960 as he needed a new GPU, now I need a replacement, I thought about the 970 but can't get past the memory issue. The 980 is priced to close to the 980 Ti and AMD aren't an option for me atm. Sorry AMD lol.

Would be a waste of our time typing the message bud, you'll get one anyway.:D

Btw, which Ti have you not owned.:D

Haha that made me chuckle.

I'm looking at trying this one below, not had an EVGA card for a long time lol.

Should really wait for Pascal but I need something, no cheap 960's around, don't want 970 or 980 and not interested in the current AMD stuff.. I think the only option is another 980 Ti :p

71_Oq5_Zm_Yf_L_SL1200.jpg

71_TZCUQc_HAL_SL1200.jpg

610jt_NEt9p_L_SL1200.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, I am really trying not to pull the trigger. Been saving for Pascal.. I let my nephew have my 960 as he needed a new GPU, now I need a replacement, I thought about the 970 but can't get past the memory issue. The 980 is priced to close to the 980 Ti and AMD aren't an option for me atm. Sorry AMD lol.

Haha that made me chuckle.

I'm looking at trying this one below, not had an EVGA card for a long time lol.

Should really wait for Pascal but I need something, no cheap 960's around, don't want 970 or 980 and not interested in the current AMD stuff.. I think the only option is another 980 Ti :p

71_Oq5_Zm_Yf_L_SL1200.jpg

71_TZCUQc_HAL_SL1200.jpg

610jt_NEt9p_L_SL1200.jpg

Go for bust and get a Kingpin.

It is the best looking card I have seen and looks even better when you see one for real.

Soldato
I am GPU less, passed my 960 on to my nephew who really wanted it..

Getting really tempted to pick up another 980 Ti.. Somebody please tell me not to lol.

Boomstick they are awaste of money don't get one.

My SLi 670 4gb were far better, you should have bought them, when you had the chance.

Santa knows you been a bad boy so asking him is a nono.

Soldato
Boomstick they are awaste of money don't get one.

My SLi 670 4gb were far better, you should have bought them, when you had the chance.

Santa knows you been a bad boy so asking him is a nono.

Ha, those cards you had were a bargain. I would have grabbed one but I had a 970 lined up but didn't get it. So am still GPU less. Maybe I should take another look in MM..

That EVGA SC though :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Get another Ti :), Im sure you will anyway lol.

Got my sister a 970 sc, looks the same apart from the gold bits are blue. It is great looking card for sure.

No, dont get a kingpin they not worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
No, dont get a kingpin they not worth the extra cost.

Yes they are actually.

It is not their intended use but for gaming on air they are very quiet cool running and a big improvement on any other card I have used.

Any card that can do up to 1575/2002 on stock volts with low heat output should not be dismissed so easy.

Then there is the looks and build quality which are as good as it gets.

Having said that for someone just wanting a good all round card for gaming I would recommend they go for something like a MSI Gaming 980 Ti.

If Boomstick777 did get a Kingpin he would know exactly what he was getting into as he has used more graphics cards than most people on these forums.:)

Soldato
Thought about crossfiring two cards, Boom, like the 390?

Using a Micro ATX case and Passive 520W PSU, so limited to one card atm. Prefer single card, not to say I won't try it again in the future. Pascal and it's new link tech could be good for SLI. Might change case next year, something with more airflow.

Just want a decent Nvidia card for now, I really do like the look of the EVGA 980 Ti SC.

I only really sold my last one because I had to spend out a massive amount of money unexpected, so it had to go. Now that's dealt with it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world to grab another Ti.

Pascal will be 5+ months away? Be nice to be able to max out Fallout 4, Battlefront, New Assassin's and Rainbow Six in the meantime lol. To many games...

Caporegime
My strix is starting to irritate me...over the past month I've noticed load temps slowly creep up and fan noise along with that. Last night it was hitting 83c looping heaven bench at 25x14 while sounding like a Dyson on crack. A few weeks back it would barely crack 75c and be much less audible.

Starting to wonder if the thermal compound is breaking down, all the images I've seen of the heatsink seem to indicate a pretty chunky dollop of thermal paste, apparently that's to help fill in the gaps between the heatpipes as well.

Not really sure if i want to take it off to redo the paste as Asus are renound for their ability to find some reason no matter how anal to refuse an rma should the need arise. And the heatsink being taken off would probably be high on their list. :eek::(

Only had it 3 months, performs well but its getting hotter and louder literally by the day.

Soldato
My strix is starting to irritate me...over the past month I've noticed load temps slowly creep up and fan noise along with that. Last night it was hitting 83c looping heaven bench at 25x14 while sounding like a Dyson on crack. A few weeks back it would barely crack 75c and be much less audible.

Starting to wonder if the thermal compound is breaking down, all the images I've seen of the heatsink seem to indicate a pretty chunky dollop of thermal paste, apparently that's to help fill in the gaps between the heatpipes as well.

Not really sure if i want to take it off to redo the paste as Asus are renound for their ability to find some reason no matter how anal to refuse an rma should the need arise. And the heatsink being taken off would probably be high on their list. :eek::(

Only had it 3 months, performs well but its getting hotter and louder literally by the day.

As long as their are no stickers over screws and you're careful Asus won't know you have taken the HSF off to replace the TIM.

Caporegime
As long as their are no stickers over screws and you're careful Asus won't know you have taken the HSF off to replace the TIM.

I noticed that the matrix has those but the strix doesn't which strikes me as strange. Might redo it later and see how it goes, 3 large fans, a load of heatpipes and about the same temps and sound levels as the reference card...wut? Something's not right there.

Soldato

Hmm ...... but you have perfect from the PC gods modern air cooling don't you ;)

H55 + G10 lower those temps by 20C do your GPU/Ears a favour ;)

You see its not just me is it!!

Associate
has anyone ran sli watercooled one card and air cooled the other. Any benefits / drawbacks? I fancy another Ti but didn't want to really fork out for another block and a bridge yet possibly later after xmas. I was just wondering will i be punishing the air card trying to run it this way. Plenty of air in my case as currently running 24 fans in a Core X 9

Back
Top Bottom