• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*The GTX590 Club*

Caporegime
Just curious, what were the clocks when it went bang and how long did it run for on those clocks? according to Charlie over at semi-accurate, the 590 may be running at 36W over what the power circuitry is rated for even at stock, so over-clocking can quickly push it over the edge..

Edit:

Also what drivers were you using?

I get the impression that he was waiting to overclock it, but he did say default voltage rather than just "stock" or anything. Though I think these cards are generally dying more often under overvolting than slight overclocking.

overclocking raises power usage but only very slightly, increasing voltage is an exponential power increaser while clock speed is very marginal power increases.

Though if Charlie is correct(haven't seen him talking about it yet, nor any real talk from reviewers of exactly what the power circuitry was, ) it would rather back up what I've been suggesting. Dying THAT quickly even with a slight overvolt suggests the power circuitry is absolutely borderline to start with and could well fail easily over time.

I mean we've seen over volted computer hardware die over time, its VERY rare to kill stuff with high volts instantly, look at something like people ramming 1.6-1.7v through an Intel 45 or even 32nm chip for a benchmark run, 24/7 that might not last more than weeks, but hours?

For them to die almost instantly with a smaller over volting than pretty much any other computer part before(cpu's, gpu's, memory have all taken far larger overvolts before, safely, for years) is just a terrible sign.

You do wonder if the VRM's would be running so much cooler with a full cover waterblock that they "might" do well under water, though still a stupid cheaping out on power circuitry by Nvidia, come on, 6990 length how many extra phases could they have fitted in, hell, go dual pcb like previously.

Now a MSI with "miltary grade components" which generally means, "we add 4 more phases that costs us £20 more and we'll charge you £40 more", but thats really what this card needs.

I can see a MSI stupid version doing pretty well but I can also see a ridiculous level of reference Nvidia ones dying over the next few months, even being run 100% at stock settings.

Caporegime
Oh, it also looks like more and more people are finding the 590gtx throttling down in normal games more often with the newer driver because its put limits in more and more games is there assumption.

So it now has more choppy performance, lower overall performance, and drops fps obviously when the clock speeds drop. So the newer driver actually makes the card physically slower, I assume Nvidia will dutifully and fairly inform all the reviewers and ask them to republish "safe driver reviews" with the appropriate drop in performance.............. not a chance in hell of that. Hopefully some reviewers will be willing to risk the wrath of Nvidia and do it themselves.

Can you imagine if AMD sent out a card for reviews that used 950Mhz clocks but every driver release afterwards that left the card safe frequently dropped performance by 10%.

Having checked up on SA, its looking like Nvidia, with a £100 more expensive card, decided to cheap out on VRM's, use vastly inferior quality ones and the cards basically right on the limit at stock, its a card designed to use basically 350W at its limit. The 6990 is designed to be able to push 640-750W depending on the voltage, and thats using less VRM chips.

Nvidia are using ones rated at 35amps, and use 5 per core, AMD are using 4 per core, rated at 80amps, so each GF110 can use essentially 175amps while each AMD core can safely(well power circuitry wise) use up to 320amps EACH. Its called a safety margin, realistically even on the OC setting and 450-500W use, a lot of that is lost in the VRM's, the memory so its probably 200-225W per core, at 1.175v , thats 191amps, with SO much headroom for safety its a joke.

Lol, when you keep in mind the GF110 is already downclocked from 782Mhz stock for the core, its laughable, seriously, marginally bigger and just one more VRM chip per core would have added so little cost(cheapo VRM's) yet provided a little more headroom, 2 more chips would still fit pretty easily(and probably still be shorter than the 6990) and have a lot of safety margin.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They're trying to fix it through software?

What about the people that want to use this in linux/osx where there are less/older/no official drivers.

What an awful solution.

To be fair, most gaming, gpu type parts are basically squarely aimed at windows users, fair, not fair, game making companies do the same, windows is the gamers platform of choice(even more so if you won't admit that consolers are gamers :p ).

But fixing through software is basically limiting more games to a lower usage level. YOu can't fix inadequate hardware, you can only bring the usage level down so that hardware becomes adequate or safe to use, and frankly bring a few games down 10% in clocks under highest load will only extend the life so much, I mean, ouch can you imagine if a Starcraft 2 scenario happened again, 590gtx's would fry across the world..... all 8 of the ones left alive :p

The fundamental flaw is their OVP/power usage protection is software activated, if the software isn't told to limit something it CAN'T limit anything, Furmark and one other thing are as standard included in the drivers and have been for a while, if they hadn't I would without exageration think Furmark would have killed literally every 590gtx out for review.

But Starcraft 2 had a problem where in the menu it just pawned cards in the same way Furmark does, with insane gpu usage, largely because its so simple and not cpu limited. IF some game comes out that does crazy high usage it could kill the cards, OR Nvidia puts in new blanket orders like, 90% gpu load, throttle the card, no matter the game/benchmark, if its throttled all the time the question becomes how much and how often, it will induce stuttering performance, it will drop overall performance, and then the more serious situation is, will 10% be enough of a safety margin.

AMD have some, well not quite but pushing up towards 80-90% safety margin on their VRM's, thats huge, Nvidia is basically at -5-10% already, drop clocks and maybe even voltage with new drivers, get that down to 10-15% safety margin, but at high heats over time, will the VRM's still go, just not in hours to days as they are now, but weeks to months.

Its looking increasingly likely that reference cards just are not safe, at all, like I said, MSI uber stupid over specced card edition for silly money, that would be the choice I'd go for. If I was rich, if I won the 117million lotto the other day, my 6950 died, and there was only 590gtx's in stock, I wouldn't buy a one till someone makes a new version.

I've freely said the 6990 is basically crap, this isn't Nvidia biased, I'd take sli 560's or 570's over a 6990, there are marginal advantages for a few people for the 6990, if you HAVE to have a single card, it works, they aren't dying, if you're partially deaf, why not get one anyway.

THe 590gtx, I just can't see a single advantage, faster than anything else, nope, lower power, nope, cheaper, nope, quieter nope(sli/xfire anything will be faster and quieter), it doesn't tick a single "pro column" box, while the con column has run out of space.

Soldato
Another one

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforo.noticias3d.com%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowpost.php%3Fp%3D3960849%26postcount%3D352%27
quemado.jpg

Well, gentlemen, as to forget everything I wrote because GAME OVER ... I turned off the computer for lunch and rest a bit .. I've heard Clak plugged ... I smelled something burning .. and it's over. . no graphics, completely charred on the back ...

What a mob this **** Nvidia ... this is a clear manufacturing fault ... there was no OC at that time .. I have treated gently and returned it to me and bitch ..

Anyway, what a joke ... I hope this dual Nvidia take action on the matter and review ALL call them back .. and under conditions as intel ... this has nothing to do with either the OC or to the driver .. just have a bad component and exploit .. as in the above video ... and I think the board has taken another P67 ahead ..? ?How many go ...

Well .. I think if I throw myself over a cliff or go to get drunk .. probably opt for the former .... :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well, it had to happen to someone here and it finally has.

Zotac GTX 590 *** AT DEFAULT VOLTAGE ***

BANG!!!!!

I'm so ******G P****D at this moment I could scream. I bought it from another site on the day of release. It turned up Saturday, so by that time I'd seen and read the whole fiasco on the web with the cards dying... so naturally I said to myself, "Don't be an idiot, give it a few days before you try clocking it."
Well it's now Monday night and while running 3dMark11 an hour ago I noticed it got really quiet... I leapt for the psu cable. But no. Crack! Poof! Stinking smoke!

I really thought my whole system was gone, the flash was that bright. Thankfully no, I stuck in an old 8800gtx I had and everything booted fine. But the GTX590 is toast, part of the pcb has melted around what looked like a small group of resistors in the lower middle of the card, which have blown, and there's a scorch mark on the other side of the card coming out from under the cooler shroud down to the pci-e fingers.

Believe me the RMA email I've just sent off to E***er was less than gentlemanly. That scared the ever loving c**p out of me. How the hell did Nvidia think they could ship these cards in this state!

PS. Before anyone asks, I dont have a camera, and I've already stuck the bloody thing back in its box for when I get my RMA number tomorrow. Good Riddance!!!

At default voltage! What a piece of rubbish, sorry to hear that happened to you. Crazy that this happens to such an expensive card. I wonder how many threads we will see with these breaking in a few months time.

Associate
Just curious, what were the clocks when it went bang and how long did it run for on those clocks? according to Charlie over at semi-accurate, the 590 may be running at 36W over what the power circuitry is rated for even at stock, so over-clocking can quickly push it over the edge..

Edit:

Also what drivers were you using?

It was my first overclock on the card, which was why I was running 3dMark11 on loop to check stability. The gpu clock was at 650Mhz and memory at 3600Mhz (1800Mhz in MSI Afterburner) so I'd barely started overclocking the card. After the horror stories going around the net I'd left 'voltage change' turned off in Afterburner so the card was running at its default 0.913v. It was part way through it's eighth run through of 3dmark when the fan noise started getting quieter and quieter. The instant the card went silent, I knew, but I couldn't leap across to the psu fast enough to yank the cable. Bang! Flash! Smoke!

The driver was v267.84, downloaded Wednesday from Nvidias site.

PS. I'd run Heaven for an hour at stock clocks just before doing the above.

Associate
Soldato
It was my first overclock on the card, which was why I was running 3dMark11 on loop to check stability. The gpu clock was at 650Mhz and memory at 3600Mhz (1800Mhz in MSI Afterburner) so I'd barely started overclocking the card. After the horror stories going around the net I'd left 'voltage change' turned off in Afterburner so the card was running at its default 0.913v. It was part way through it's eighth run through of 3dmark when the fan noise started getting quieter and quieter. The instant the card went silent, I knew, but I couldn't leap across to the psu fast enough to yank the cable. Bang! Flash! Smoke!

That is shocking, so it bang with a mild overclock, at stock volts, on the new Nvidia driver.

Everyone thinking of a 590 needs to see this.

Soldato

Thanks for that mate, I'm just sorry it went 'Bang' on you, imo they should be recalled anyway, it highlights that the issues are still not fixed with latest drivers, even when doing an extremely mild overclock.
Maybe when 3rd party revised revisions come out, the 590 might be worth a look then.

Associate
Ohh... damn Greg :( Sorry for you ... it's a pain in the *** just looking at such expensive piece of hardware all burned out ... :X

And now, any decisions?

As for 3rd parties ... yeah ... but my guess is that those will only be available for summer time or something :x

Associate
On my one the resistors just above the "QC PASSED" sticker were the ones that blew (Oh the irony of that one )... all the melting on the pcb was around there and the position above it where there are solder points for what looks like where a chip should be.

Greg

Gutted, at least you will get rma no problem! If you only have use of one pci.e x 16 slot then why not grab a HD 6990? Save a bit of cash and get better performance. The noise level has been blown out of proportion by the Nvidia fanboys probably becausce the GTX 590 is such an epic fail. My HD 6990 only gets loud during Furmark or benching with no sound. During games I can't hear it and its performance is ridiculous!

Associate
They might have to do a complete recall? they can't just let these cards keep going pop? and brush it under the rug.

I'd put a tenner on them doing a full recall, some hand wringing about substandard components from a supplier and then quietly releasing a v2 board onto the market.

In other words, a complete shambles that should have been caught by the most elementry design and build stage testing.

Back
Top Bottom