• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*The GTX590 Club*

Soldato
I wonder how this 'voiding your warranty' business would stand up in court.

"So you aren't honouring this warranty claim because the card was overclocked yet with the card you supply software to enable just that"

hmm

I guess it's the same as someone buying a Ferrari and then complaining that they got pulled over for doing 70+mph.

Associate
Hi there :) looking forward for you input! :)
I want to buy one of these dual gpu's ... but i'm really thinking if i should get a GTX580 Lightning or something ...

These dual gpu cards, don't know why, are making me having second thoughts about long term usage ... something i was perfectly happy with my old gtx 295 ...

Maybe these dual gpu's series aren't a good bet due to the power needs ... let's see... :)

Permabanned
If you overclock a pair of GTX 570s, they will crap all over the 590.

Better yet, just get a pair of gigabyte 480s for a lot lot less!

Associate
I probably don't have a choice now. The gtx590 is out, I'm not taking the risk again, although it was a lovely card for the short time it worked. Quiet, although in the end... too quiet. And as much as the suggestions are welcome, I'm using a crossfire motherboard and the other x16 pci-e slot has my OCZ Revodrive in it so I only have the one x16 pci-e slot to play with. Hence why I went with the GTX590 in the first place... sigh. :(

Permabanned
I probably don't have a choice now. The gtx590 is out, I'm not taking the risk again, although it was a lovely card for the short time it worked. Quiet, although in the end... too quiet. And as much as the suggestions are welcome, I'm using a crossfire motherboard and the other x16 pci-e slot has my OCZ Revodrive in it so I only have the one x16 pci-e slot to play with. Hence why I went with the GTX590 in the first place... sigh. :(

So get a 6990 then?

Soldato
Does not say much for the 6990 in terms of noise that! :eek:

no wonder it runs louder tbh look at the heatsink size compaired to the 6970 heatsink , the fan will have to work harder with the smaller heatsinks . i bet it is louder than the 6970 ? , mind you if it also used the 6970 heatsinks it would be even longer lol

14190051895l.JPG

08021426453l.JPG

back to the gtx 590:
i wonder why nvidia did not pick up on this fault ? , they should know by now that people will overclock gfx cards ?

Permabanned
The 6990 has two 5770 heatsinks on it lol!

The blade design on those fans is also completely terrible, they need to spin really fast to push enough air compared to a normal fan with larger fins.

Soldato
back to the gtx 590:
i wonder why nvidia did not pick up on this fault ? , they should know by now that people will overclock gfx cards ?

You should check the nvidia reviews page they even clearly highlighted a Hex us review..

http://uk.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-590/reviews

Hex us

Smaller and quieter than the Radeon HD 6990. 3D Vision Surround from one card. Has significant overclocking potential.

Award: Hex us Performance

:rolleyes:Has significant overclocking potential.:rolleyes: Yes and should say "Has significant potential of exploding if you plan on overclocking it".

Really annoyed with the exploding 590's I really was looking forward to going Nvidia for a change and using CUDA. I don't believe these cards will survive even under normal stock conditions, all we need is for Nvidia to mess up the drivers again or a game will break the protection and burn it out like in the past with some game that burned many Nvidia cards (links below).

http://www.techspot.com/news/38131-nvidia-19675-gpu-driver-burning-up-graphics-cards.html

http://www.gossipgamers.com/yikes-nvidia-cards-burn-playing-any-blizzard-games/

Both the 6990 and 590 are a fail in my eyes .. they both have different faults with them that are deal breakers for me. waiting now for the next gen single GPUS...

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, it had to happen to someone here and it finally has.

Zotac GTX 590 *** AT DEFAULT VOLTAGE ***

BANG!!!!!

I'm so ******G P****D at this moment I could scream. I bought it from another site on the day of release. It turned up Saturday, so by that time I'd seen and read the whole fiasco on the web with the cards dying... so naturally I said to myself, "Don't be an idiot, give it a few days before you try clocking it."
Well it's now Monday night and while running 3dMark11 an hour ago I noticed it got really quiet... I leapt for the psu cable. But no. Crack! Poof! Stinking smoke!

I really thought my whole system was gone, the flash was that bright. Thankfully no, I stuck in an old 8800gtx I had and everything booted fine. But the GTX590 is toast, part of the pcb has melted around what looked like a small group of resistors in the lower middle of the card, which have blown, and there's a scorch mark on the other side of the card coming out from under the cooler shroud down to the pci-e fingers.

Believe me the RMA email I've just sent off to E***er was less than gentlemanly. That scared the ever loving c**p out of me. How the hell did Nvidia think they could ship these cards in this state!

PS. Before anyone asks, I dont have a camera, and I've already stuck the bloody thing back in its box for when I get my RMA number tomorrow. Good Riddance!!!

Just curious, what were the clocks when it went bang and how long did it run for on those clocks? according to Charlie over at semi-accurate, the 590 may be running at 36W over what the power circuitry is rated for even at stock, so over-clocking can quickly push it over the edge..

Edit:

Also what drivers were you using?

Last edited:
Soldato
Cards still dying from what I heard, I can tell your having a hard time believing Nvidia could get anything wrong...

lol ... I think my links in my above post should help him on his way to recovery. :D

All Nvidia have done is tweaked their drivers to make sure the power limiters are doing their job or they have made the limits tighter .. therefore forget overclocking even 1mhz.. but the hardware is the problem it's just too fragile.

I'm waiting for other companies now to rebuild the cards and add better power circuitry to them and then I may take another look at it... but in the reference state no way... and you know Nvidia will do a sneeky soon and make a rev 2 reference card that does not go bang.

Back
Top Bottom