The hangout thread (organising social gaming etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you sort out Virtual Desktop? I see you read my post above with the fix. It's bad enough that you are restricted to 100Mbps and H.264 when using Airlink, but, it's crap that we are reduced to that using Virtual Desktop too. I wish AMD would sort out their encoders :(

I've been swapping between encoders using virtual desktop, and setting over 100mps for streaming? Is it that it just doesn't make any difference?

You can select it and use higher bitrates than 100Mbps. But there are three problems currently. The first is that you have my problem, where Steam VR crashes all the time when you select HEVC. The second is the one that ShiWarrior has, is that you get double vision while playing PCVR games. The third is that even if you select HEVC and use a higher bitrate than a 100Mbps it will still look like you are using a lower bitrate and H.264. Or you might be lucky and have none of these issues.

The recommended driver and configuration by Ggodin over on the Virtual desktop discord is that you use 22.5.1 drivers, H.264 and a bitrate less than 100Mbps. Until AMD fix their Drivers.

HEVC is so much better than H.264 on AMD's GPUs. You might not notice the difference in games Like Beat Saber, Pistol whip, Walk about mini golf etc. But, in more graphically demanding games the difference is easily noticeable, especially at a distance. Skyrim VR, for example, is a brilliant game to use for spotting the difference in encoders. HEVC on Virtual desktop looks better than Link cable on AMD GPUs. Well, it used to when HEVC worked!!
Don't use SteamVR, only use it for after the fall through oculus at the moment.

I'll adjust the settings for now though I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom