The impending environmental disaster

Soldato

I remember it well when I was a child. The BP oil tankers in the sea was always getting hijacked from protestors. Same stuff, saying how the world would end if we didn't change. Which is funny because not much has changed from then until now and we're still here. Now everyone has a voice through the Internet for every grudge.

Aren't the ice caps melting and temps increasing, I honestly don't know as I've only looked vaguely at it.

V F

V F

Soldato
Aren't the ice caps melting and temps increasing, I honestly don't know as I've only looked vaguely at it.

Depends who you talk or listen to. :cry:

Some say the above while others say it's freezing more and getting colder.

Mother nature is going to do its thing. Humanity cannot decide or schedule to the fate of mother nature. It was doing it before we were here.

Soldato

Mother nature is going to do its thing. Humanity cannot decide or schedule to the fate of mother nature. It was doing it before we were here.
lol

Soldato

Some people say that the sky is green or that Covid is over or that Brexit is good. I know not to listen to these people because they are blind to the reality all around them.

Man of Honour
[..] People are now not having kids due to this issue.

Reducing population is one of the most effective ways to solve the problem, but it's too little too late now. Besides, most of the population explosion is elsewhere in the world.

I'm of the opinion we are well into requiring unrealised/unproven/unproductionised technology now being required to curb the problem. Luckily (for myself) I'll probably only feel the tail end of this being mid 30s.

I just don't think we have it in us as a species to turn the tide. It will only be when it's too late that people collectively might go "whoops, should have taken that seriously"

Do any of us think that we are going to escape this worsening situation?

Maybe it's one of the filters in the great filter hypothesis to answer Fermi's paradox.

I think scientists and engineers could pull humanity's arse out of the fire just in time. And that "activists" would take the credit as they have more skill in using media and far more time to dedicate to doing so as they're not busy working on solutions to the problems. But I think the main change required is economic rather than technological and it's global. A radical positive change in the entire global economic system in a matter of decades? Tall order. The one we have now is nowhere near sustainable, so it will change. The question is in what way.

Man of Honour
Carbon Capture, surely it's not beyond the capability of mankind today? If only govs got behind that like they did the covid vaccine...

The video posted earlier says this is the way too but it will cost many trillions, actually half the budget of the USA. No government is going to sideline existing corporations in favour of this much spending and it's always about the here and now instead of the distant future when the people in charge now will be long dead anyway so they could not care less.

Ultimately the sad truth is our climate decline is inevitable. Nobody in power will force their nations to act to prevent its fast-tracked collapse, so here we are today looking at accurate modelling forecasts that have been predicting this outcome for decades wondering wtf.

Associate
We should be doing more. I don't want a massive noisy heatpump in my backyard. I would rather have a hydrogen boiler. They should be working on sending hydrogen down the gas pipes and produce it using nuclear or renewable.

Also we need a much better electric car charging network.

Either way we should do something. We can't all not want to be one of the first or it will never get done. We all have to do it. Also our pollution per person is still quite high despite not being of superpower size because we are wealthy. Money = co2.

Soldato
The UK will be a different place when millions of climate refugees start to arrive. Lets face it, we are ****** and no one is going to even try and fix it until it's to late. Sure look at the mess there was when petrol was running low! Be interesting to see when we can't even grow eough food around the world never mind transport it.

Soldato
I just remember david attenborough saying something about that at the end of his netflix documentary.
Not all bad then :D

They're known as mass extinction events and the largest one known an estimated 96% of all species went extinct. We're about to hit another in all certainty infact its almost certainly already started. It takes the earth a long time to recover and its never the same place again and this one is entirely man made.

Carbon Capture, surely it's not beyond the capability of mankind today? If only govs got behind that like they did the covid vaccine...

We have carbon capture devices already we call them "trees" unfortunately people are more likely to chop them down than build new ones.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Reducing population is one of the most effective ways to solve the problem, but it's too little too late now. Besides, most of the population explosion is elsewhere in the world.

Maybe it's one of the filters in the great filter hypothesis to answer Fermi's paradox.

I think scientists and engineers could pull humanity's arse out of the fire just in time. And that "activists" would take the credit as they have more skill in using media and far more time to dedicate to doing so as they're not busy working on solutions to the problems. But I think the main change required is economic rather than technological and it's global. A radical positive change in the entire global economic system in a matter of decades? Tall order. The one we have now is nowhere near sustainable, so it will change. The question is in what way.

Yes. By the time we shift enough focus into productionising what may save our butts it might and probably will be too late.

Look at covid. It was rampant in Italy and we were 'oh it's fine' I remember telling my. Gf. In December this is going to be bad. And at work. Not many believed it.

Even then we couldn't make the grand machine suffer. And it will be the same with climate. Except covid is like a moped. Its fast and easy to stop. Climate change is like a freight train. By time you realise its going to hit you, its too late.

Man of Honour
By time you realise its going to hit you, its too late.

In some ways viruses like this coronavirus are like that - which is why it made no sense to wait and see what happened once it was plain it was out the bag - the spread of these diseases is always 1-2 steps ahead of what you can see.

I remember back in Jan 2020 talking about it at work and only 1 other person would even entertain the idea it might become a pandemic which affected us even when it started generating the scenes in Italy.

Soldato

Even though it would cost half the budget of the USA surely this has got to happen sooner or later, were headed straight in this direction even though It may be a hundred years or so away.

Problem is there are too many companies that make billions that this would ruin, before it was our only option.

Soldato

Not just the ice caps but the perma(not anymore)frost in places like Siberia

It wouldn't be a terrible thing if the ice & permafrost didn't store a **** tonne of greenhouse gas that gets released as it melts

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

In the large scale of things this planet could be wiped and re evolve at least another maybe three times.
One of the first things really we need to solve regards climate change is bring up the third world. But we are still sending our trash there to be set on fire.
Looks good on the news making Net Zero commitments and getting rid of diesel cars.
Meanwhile Ghana is burning our trash??
While other trash has to be dumped into the sea as places like the Phillipines etc refuse to take it.

Weather is going to change for a lot of people.

The world will not end.

We probably have at least another 2 world wars to experience before we have a stable world council or government.

Best of luck you kids!

Permabanned
ok .. the earth is a self healing unit .. has been for millions of yrs ..theres a thing called a glacial and inter glacial period .. that happens .. guess which one we are in and then guess how long we have before we go into the other ?
on long term reflection .. 10k yrs or so we are getting colder .. but the earth has this funny mechanism if you melt the poles it shut's down the heat transport of the planet .. thus sending us into a very fast and shocking cold period ... there also that modern minimum thats happening to the sun .. yes it's just started .. but have a look at what happened last time ..
and if you think co2 is anything but plant food ..you need to go back to school ...

no i don't wear a tinfoil hat .. i just read a lot

Man of Honour
There is a good chance of a volcanic eruption in the next 100-150 years which completely alters our climate for a period and the trajectory of it anyhow. Such happened in 1815 and 535-536, etc. and recent advances in understanding suggest it is almost inevitable within a century or two.

Back
Top Bottom