• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The improvement in ray-tracing in the past 2 years

Fluffing minecraft and older games isnt really classed as supporting new titles is it?

I think people vastly underestimate what Quake 2 RTX is showing off - unlike Minecraft the RT implementation does not benefit from the lower res geometry and other relatively simple rendering features and scaling up the geometric and shader complexity has a fairly small impact on performance - even a 64x increase in scene complexity only drops performance by single digit percentages. What does start to bite is if you use more complex ray tracing features - in Quake 2 RTX only the sun lighting simulates indirect lighting and then it is heavily constrained mostly to one bounce, other light scattering is heavily constrained or absent such as bouncing off water and until a recent update it would only simulate one mirror or caustic pass - so a mirror wouldn't display a glass surface that was in the scene it was reflecting, etc. though they've now upped that to 1-2 passes.

Quake 2 had the advantage of being fairly simple to rip out existing lighting, etc. features without having to deal with lots of special casing, etc. and that it used a static form of radiosity for its lighting which meant that replacing it with ray tracing doesn't necessitate going back through every level and rebuilding them so as to look OK with the new lighting.

Hope nVidia's next gen arrives sooner rather than later so I can show off properly some of the things I've been doing with Quake 2 RTX as static screenshots don't do it justice but capturing decent footage on my GTX1070 just doesn't happen LOL and screw spending money on Turing.

i dont get how all the effect options in that game "control" can be turned on or off. ray tracing is ray tracing, it either traces all the rays or it doesnt. turning some of the rays that will be traced off surely reverts back to the old "non ray traced" times?

i dont get how all the effect options in that game "control" can be turned on or off. ray tracing is ray tracing, it either traces all the rays or it doesnt. turning some of the rays that will be traced off surely reverts back to the old "non ray traced" times?

Not quite sure what you are saying but there are various options for hybrid forms of ray tracing such as limiting all or some rays to screen space only and/or with things like reflections mixing static environment maps with ray tracing only against moving objects and so on (which can be a bit off without some depth mapping).

Back
Top Bottom