• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Intel Arc owners thread

Soldato
OP
Level1Techs discuss the Flex170 and subscription-free GPU accelerated VDI:

It seems that the Flex 170 is actually an Arc A770 with knobs on and some A770s are the full deal, but Wendell didn't go into details.

Associate
Would this be a noticeable difference at 4k against a 980ti? Only very light gaming but the 980 is becoming a bit of a dinosaur now. Can see these priced very reasonably for 16GB would be interesting in trying the A770

Soldato
OP
Would this be a noticeable difference at 4k against a 980ti?

The 980 Ti is still a strong performer - my niece was happily using a Titan (the 12 GB 980 Ti) at 1080p or 1200p until a week or so ago when I upgraded her to a 2080 Ti.

But the A770 has 16 GB VRAM. In more modern games like Horizon Zero Dawn I can bench at 4k on medium settings and get 50-60 fps. I've not tried the latest games.

Associate
The 980 Ti is still a strong performer - my niece was happily using a Titan (the 12 GB 980 Ti) at 1080p or 1200p until a week or so ago when I upgraded her to a 2080 Ti.

But the A770 has 16 GB VRAM. In more modern games like Horizon Zero Dawn I can bench at 4k on medium settings and get 50-60 fps. I've not tried the latest games.

Still a brilliant card from 8 years ago! :eek:

Its certainly showing its age now with modern titles at good settings, I have seen plenty of second hand 2080tis - I bet that was a nice jump? More so if I have the 6BG version I guess. (Daughters PC)

Soldato
OP
Still a brilliant card from 8 years ago! :eek:

Absolutely.

I bet that was a nice jump?

I hope so. She games at 1080p or 1200p (I'm not sure which) on a 60 Hz monitor and her current game is Baldur's Gate 3 which I'm told is more CPU-limited, so I'm not sure if she'll see any big improvements. I do expect her to see fewer performance dips. But even if she doesn't get any benefit in BG3 she'll see big benefits in more GPU-bound games.

Soldato
Finally got my ARC A750 LE back on a test bench (12400F / B660M / DDR4 3200C14 - nothing too fancy but more than fast enough for a A750) so can run over games I have tested before to see the real world benefits (or not) of the latest drivers.

(I sold the A770 hence why I am not using that).

Quick test of Destiny 2 last night (3440x1440 all Max barring DoF on low) showed around 80FPS which looks to be an uplift from before. Unfortunately the servers went offline before I could do a proper comparison to previous testing.

Starfield was also taking forever to sync my save game so didn't managed to get around to that either. Then I ran out of time to test anything else (ironically chose Starfield as I thought Hogwarts would take too long optimising shaders for the time I had left to test).

Feels nice to get it back up and running tbh. :)

Soldato
Well if the driver fixes anything in Starfield I won't know as the game launches and then just drops back to the desktop like nothing happened.

Did the same on the previous driver as well.

Not really sure what is going on as there is no error and no obvious feedback as to what is happening.

Soldato
OP
Club386 have an article on the Battlemage rumours. They - correctly IMHO - say that Intel need to hurry and there are two events coming up, Intel Vision and Computex, which would make ideal launch venues.

Soldato
The A380 could be a good card for me.

I have an old pc which is cobbled together redundant pc parts that I use for gaming during the summer months.

Currently have a Nvidia 1030 2Gb in it and need a GPU with no need for external power and something close too or less than £100.

Making the A380 stand out.

---

I don't actually need an upgrade as this machine only games maybe 3 months of the year but if I did the A380 could be an option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom