1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Jose Mourinho Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'The Football Stadium' started by Robbo, Jul 29, 2018.

1. inogen

Wise Guy

It's not the money spent though really is it? it's how it's spent. And the top positions are relative as there's 6 clubs who all think they should be finishing top 4.

I agree. I'm not saying poorly performing managers shouldn't be sacked. I'm just pointing out that sacking them doesn't solve anything.

Hmmm. The Glazers. What the Glazers want is the Manchester United brand to be strong enough to reap plenty of cash for them to take home and for the club to remain top of the money league. I see no evidence at all that they're actually that interested in doing what needs to be done to win stuff in football at the moment. I certainly see zero evidence (in fact I see evidence to the contrary) that they're interested in developing the kind of club ethos and environment you see at Dortmund. They bought the top dog of English football but then lost the main reason they were top dogs. They've been overtaken in spending power and the game has moved on slightly. They've done nothing to address any of these issues. They know in the short term at least that the cash will keep rolling in, they know in the long term it probably will too, no matter what they do.

I'm sure in an ideal world they'd like a stable manager that wins stuff and can do it on a modest budget, but that's what every other club looks for too. Whoever comes in next will have to finish top 4 in a league with 5 other clubs who are miles ahead football wise. Pochetino would be interesting but there's no guarantees no matter how much is spent. A least that would most likely make it 4 out of 5 rather than 6.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 4:28 PM
  2. adam cool dude

Soldato

You can say that but Manchester United has won three trophies in the past 5 years which is terrible in United's case but still better than the majority. No matter how good Liverpool and Tottenham play they haven't won anything for pretty much a decade.

3. inogen

Wise Guy

I don't hear much from Man U fans who wouldn't swap in a heartbeat those trophies for a feeling that they could compete with the other 5 top clubs. I bet there's some worried about Arsenal.

4. fez

Capodecina

Its nice to win trophies but you will always be fighting for the second tier trophies unless you get the club at the same level as the best in the world. Realistically it seems that only City are able / willing to outspend us these days so we should be aiming to win the PL and CL. You won't do that without being in the top few clubs in the league or world. Currently I wouldn't put us in the top 20.

5. Robbo

Don

Jardim is about to be sacked at Monaco. Could be interesting, he's highly rated.

I do think a great attacking manager who can sign 4-5 players will be able to develop our team to compete with Man City (or close), but with Mourinho we're in limbo for now. I see no way back for him at all.

6. Moses

Caporegime

And Emenalo... could be a possibility higher up...

7. inogen

Wise Guy

And neither would anyone else. And it's not Mourinho's fault.

8. fez

Capodecina

Hows it not Mourinhos fault? Hes the guy that decided the style of football we are going to play and is supposed to manage his players. Squad wise we are in the top 20 teams in the world, our issue is having managers who can't seem to get them to play well together. I can almost guarantee you Klopp would have us playing much better football than we have in the past 5 years after only a few months. This is why managers are payed similar sums to the top players.

9. Yas786

Caporegime

So highly rated that he’s rumoured to getting sacked?? :/. Can’t be that great or highly rated if he is about to be sacked from Monaco :p

10. Robbo

Don

Because no good manager has been sacked or left under a cloud before?

11. Shamikebab

Caporegime

Tough to judge really, his Monaco team has lost pretty much their first 11 over the last two seasons.

12. fez

Capodecina

Wonder how Poch would do if he had to sell Kane, Son, Dembele, Dele, Erikson suddenly. There comes a point where you can't expect miracles when all your best players are poached every season. You can get away with it for a while but eventually your luck will turn. He has over-performed and developed a number of very good young players. Pretty much all the most exciting young talent over the past few years has come from there.

13. Yas786

Caporegime

So Hazard wants to play for Mourinho again...surely he is trolling lol. Didn’t he have major issues with Mourinho when he was at Chelsea??

14. Moses

Caporegime

Hoping it leads to Manyoo giving him another contract, then bidding for him to improve his negotiating position with Real :p.

15. BaZ87

Don

Wouldn't bet against Hazard and Mourinho working together next season. One way or another Mourinho's off before the start of next season and the one person he didn't upset at Real was Perez. He could easily end up back at Madrid and Hazard's all but confirmed he wants to join them.