The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
I've no issue with people renting out, or even people who inherit a home or anything like that, and renting it out. Where I have a problem is people who use words like "portfolio" or investors who buy or build entire blocks of shoebox sized flats to rent out. People like that deserve to have their properties burned to the ground, but sadly the small landlords will likely go with them.

I see them everywhere here in London, they're going up like lego buildings. We've looked at a few and they're absolute insults towards renters, I can imagine an accountant and an architect looking at a reasonable sized lounge and goingv"if you put a partition here you can create an extra room and increase the price by 20%". Those people don't belong in our society.

Where your mistaken is the problem is not these people.

The problem is the lack of alternatives. It's not the role of the private market to provide housing for all incomes.

If someone wants to build and rent 5 million a year apartments that are the size of a bath tub why not?

Soldato
I must be honest, watching all these people **** then bed over their profit taking a hit really warms my cockles. Let them burn, all of them. About time people recognised housing as a fundamental human need rather than an opportunity to profit.
Better tell that to basically anyone selling any kind of food. Morrisons, Asda, Dominos... etc etc.

I know you produce your own food to avoid their vicious profiteering from your basic human needs, but most people just buy a pasta bake because they're hungry.

Soldato
Because I had arranged it. Booked train tickets, accommodation, etc. I live hundreds of miles away, remember?

Correct.

Yeah but would the tenant not need to be present? You can open the door pardon the pun to a load of problems just letting yourself in willy nilly. I would assume the tenant has a tenancy which grants them peaceful enjoyment of the property without the landlord popping in without an appointment.

Soldato
Yeah but would the tenant not need to be present? You can open the door pardon the pun to a load of problems just letting yourself in willy nilly. I would assume the tenant has a tenancy which grants them peaceful enjoyment of the property without the landlord popping in without an appointment.

Can't imagine he pops in much from hundreds of miles away.

Also you just quoted where it says arranged by prior appointment?

Associate
The small buy-to-let landlords are being pushed out now with the unfavourable finances and the property standards and energy requirements being ramped up. The protections available to tenants are getting better and better too - this is all good news.

I don’t blame these people though. I blame successive governments ineptitude at improving house building numbers and house building quality it’s constantly poor and our annual numbers of affordable homes are at all time lows which is a disgrace.

Soldato
The small buy-to-let landlords are being pushed out now with the unfavourable finances and the property standards and energy requirements being ramped up. The protections available to tenants are getting better and better too - this is all good news.

I don’t blame these people though. I blame successive governments ineptitude at improving house building numbers and house building quality it’s constantly poor and our annual numbers of affordable homes are at all time lows which is a disgrace.
I agree that good tenants should have protections to stop scummy landlords preying on them..... but equally scummy tenants should not be given protection imo. if I rent out a nice flat (I do) then I expect it to be at least basically respected and the rules of the tenancy agreement roughly adhered to, and the rent paid on time. IF our tenant gets into issues and has short term cashflow problem I expect them to contact us / the agency about it in advance and try to come to an arrangement, not just stop paying and then do a runner at the last minute.

and just because someone does not have a lot of cash should not be an excuse to treat a home like a dumping ground. it costs nothing to keep a home clean and hygienic (I don't care about surface mess that is up to them) esp as we supplied all the white goods and a vacuum.

Last edited:
Soldato
Am I right in thinking that rental prices have gone through the roof because landlords have been forced out of the BTL market? How does that work? Less rental properties mean more permanent homes so the rental market should have shrunk accordingly and everyone should be happy. So why are renters complaining about the cost of renting when the markets/ government have achieved exactly what they’re after?

Commissario
IIRC the rise of things like AirBNB have affected the number of rental properties in many areas, at the start of covid when the lockdowns started up and travel was restricted there was a sudden surge in the number of longer terms rentals in many popular tourist areas as the "short term" or "nightly" rentals suddenly went back to longer term rentals.

Caporegime
Am I right in thinking that rental prices have gone through the roof because landlords have been forced out of the BTL market? How does that work? Less rental properties mean more permanent homes so the rental market should have shrunk accordingly and everyone should be happy. So why are renters complaining about the cost of renting when the markets/ government have achieved exactly what they’re after?
joined up thinking there... Everyone renting is just sitting on the big deposit and in a position to take on a huge mortgage :p
Most people renting are in that position because they cant afford to buy. If they are now paying X% more rent that doesn't help save for the deposit.
Supply and demand of housing is one of those things that defy economic logic in anywhere "decent" to live.

my take.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes if I was a renter and the landlord wanted a nosey around sure as hell I'd be there.
Worst thing about renting in the UK is everything skewed in favour of landlords, with no rights for tenants to have a secure home.

German system is miles better. You pay your rent and you can stay as long as you like. Landlord is only able to evict you if they are personally moving into the property.

You can redecorate and do what you to the property, but you have to return it as you found it, or pay for it to be returned to that state (less wear and tear).

No inspections or any of that BS. You rent and you have secure place you can call your home, with rent control so you can't just be forced out by rent hikes. That's how the rental market should function.

Not this landlord-skewed model where you can be evicted on a whim...where you're little more than a guest in someone else's investment...having strangers snooping round inspecting your life.

I wouldn't live in the UK if I had to rent. It sucks ****.

Soldato
Worst thing about renting in the UK is everything skewed in favour of landlords, with no rights for tenants to have a secure home.
Like I say, both need protecting.

I had to go through processes to get my last tenant out as he stopped communicating, didn't pay rent for several months and left the house in such a state I'm spending thousands sorting it out.

It's not as simple as tenants = good, landlords = bad. The system is designed for bad tenants and bad landlords.

That's why I'm selling up.

Soldato
Like I say, both need protecting.

I had to go through processes to get my last tenant out as he stopped communicating, didn't pay rent for several months and left the house in such a state I'm spending thousands sorting it out.

It's not as simple as tenants = good, landlords = bad. The system is designed for bad tenants and bad landlords.

That's why I'm selling up.
Yes both need protecting. You still have problem tenants in Germany which are a pain in the arse, but for the 99% of good tenants, they have a more secure home and quality of life.

In this country we seem obsessed with making life worse for everyone, all the time, because ermahgerdwhatabout X that happens 1% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom