The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
OP
to the landlords here : I wish some of you would more carefully consider tenants in receipt of benefits.

Agreed. My tenant is on benefits and has been good. A big problem with tenants on benefits is that insurers can charge more.

Demand for housing isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

There's plenty of housing in Aberdeen, low prices too. Someone on minimum wage can get themselves on the housing ladder. But employers don't want to move here, and given the SNP's attitude to wealth creation and interference with local rates, I can understand why.

Soldato
OP
However... if I could do a "side hustle" and cover all my expenses and make £100 profit a month,

But he isn't making a profit of £100 a month. There may be a surplus of £100 a month but there's still the odd £4000 energy conversion to fund and that's over 3 years of that surplus gone.

Soldato
OP
My understanding is the mortgages are no longer offset against tax so Landlords are no longer able to deduct any mortgage expenses from their rental income causing a large increase to tax rates. Furthermore the government wants energy efficiency levels to improve which I am not against in principle, but they are going about it the wrong way.

Correct. However if you are a company you do get to pay the mortgage gross.

at the end of the day it's an investment so should be treated like one.

This is often not the case. For example, if you're going to be out of the country for an extended period of time, what else do you do with your house?

Soldato
OP

And from here:

Buy-to-let investors should perhaps avoid buying properties in Scotland after a series of anti-landlord polices were put in place by Nicola Sturgeon's government.

A cap on rents is having an impact on landlords' returns, and a ban on evictions is making it harder for landlords to reclaim possession of their properties compared with England. Taxes are also higher in Scotland.

Soldato
OP
Private landlords aren't the solution, not even the good ones.

Rubbish. If you massively increase state housing, people have to suck up to the politicians and profess the right political views and you make private housing rarer. If you massively increase corporate housing you make it more difficult for private citizens to own their own homes.

There is nothing wrong with being a landlord. Being able to let your home is massively useful. Consider the diplomat sent abroad for several years. Or the person working abroad. Or the person working abroad. Or the person working the other end of the country; out of commuting distance, anyway. Do you really want them to not have a home to which to come back? Do you want to force them to sell their home? A house that may have been in their family for generations. Selling a house is neither quick nor cheap.

Private landlords provide flexibility on both sides.

Soldato
OP
You'll have to explain how council housing is allocated on the basis of political affiliation, because that's entirely illegal as I'm sure you know.

It's very simple: you make yourself known to your local councillor, or their party, make sure you volunteer etc "I can't afford party membership but I can give some of my time...." and when you need accommodation you ask for their help. Preferably not in writing. Job done.

The problem is the BTL landlord, the slum landlord, the opportunist.

There are bad council officers too. Humans are humans.

Back
Top Bottom