The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
OP
The landlords are keeping the purchase market too high for prospective buyers.

Cite?

If you remove landlords from the equation then the influx of availability can lead to cheaper (relatively) purchase prices, and more people will be able to buy.

Cite?

I presume you're talking about private landlords, but they'll just be replaced by corporate landlords. That's the efficient way to do it anyway since a company can offset mortgage repayments against income, unlike private landlords. Setting up a company isn't exactly difficult or expensive.

There's so much housing out there, it's just not affordable, or available to normal people.

If it's not affordable then even landlords won't buy it: they need to have tenants.

Soldato
OP
you can build a block of flats without parking,

Parking doesn't cover just cars but bikes of all varieties too. Do you really want residents to carry their motorbike to the top floor?

As the population expands of course local authorities need to make sure there are sufficient facilities in the area,

Local authorities? You mean you, the council tax-payer.

Soldato
OP
Either stay on the side lines and earn your pittiful 6%, go big and do it properly, or be quiet.

Go calculate the cost of being between tenants. Not only the lost rent but the costs of evicting the existing tenant, the costs associated with reletting, and so on. It's often more cost-effective to keep the tenant.

Soldato
OP
So really what this means is the private rent landlords/landladies are really over charging if a loss can be made like this and be ok with the income.

Speaking as a landlord whose tenant is supported by the council, I think you're misunderstanding: the landlord isn't taking a loss but earning less. And by renting to the council the landlord likely doesn't need to buy payment insurance, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Soldato
OP
My heart bleeds. It's such an injustice when you can't turn the least well off in society into a guaranteed, hassle free income stream, isn't it.

Okay, I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. You have a pension, right? That pension fund likely holds shares in properties or owns properties outright. So I challenge you to write to your pension manager and ask that all non-payments of rent are to be deducted from your pension.

Soldato
OP
If you're paying off a mortgage that cash is profit. Sure. You might not be able to access it now, but you can later.

That's not correct: you have to allow for Capital Gains Tax when you sell, maintenance costs, agency fees, and much, much more. And if you're a private landlord you get taxed on your rental income before paying the mortgage. And your asset - the property - is not readily fungible: it can take a long time to sell.

Soldato
OP
Developers say they aren't making enough profit to build.

Can you give a cite? Because I regularly lunch with someone who builds for developers and - at least hereabouts - that's not what he reports. I used to know an actual developer but he died early this year, so all I can say of him is that he made a good living.

Soldato
OP
There's a guy on youtube that does inspections of new builds and some of the stuff he's finding (very regular uploads) are amazing given how basic and obvious they are,

Don't forget that he'll only be putting the interesting stuff - the failures - on YT and he'll probably be inspecting houses all day every day.

Back
Top Bottom