The joy of being a landlord

Is it?
I haven’t and won’t put up the rent as long as my tenant looks after the place and is no trouble (she knows this).
She’s paying £150PM less than market rate currently.
So, do tell how I’m squeezing money out of her.
Hobbyist landlords need not apply.

All the properties my family rent are well below market prices.

There are in the same area plenty greedy though that do charge above.

Profit squeezing? People seem to think landlords just bank the entire rent. The tax changes really impacted landlords, not much profit in this game when 40% goes straight to the taxman. Just spent 6 bills on some central heating issue this past week, the previous month it was over a grand repairing a leaky terrace. At the end of the year there really isn't much in comparison.
We ignoring the massive capital growth whilst your investment returns a steady 3-6% whilst you sleep?

Both my properties are mortgage free, probably because I work hard and don’t spend my life on forums whinging and whining about life being so unfair.
Out of interest Gary, do rent or own your shell?

I'm not having a go at landlords here
Mate, you're one of the few posters on here that need to think before they post the first thing that pops into their brain.

All you landlords - if your not in it for a profit let people on here rent for for free (As long as they pay for repairs e.t.c). ;)

It's all about profit and squeezing the money out of renters.

Come on then landlords. Give us all a breakdown. [snip more nonsense]

You just appear to have a problem with people making money, or with landlords making money, without any real reason as to why? Jealousy? Idiocy? Ignorance?

We ignoring the massive capital growth whilst your investment returns a steady 3-6% whilst you sleep?
You ignoring the post where I stated I bought properties as my pension? So no, not ignoring my investment. Literally stated it :rolleyes:

Come on then landlords. Give us all a breakdown.

Tell us how many properties you have?
How much did you mortgage them for?
How much your mortgage payments are?
.. and how much the renters are paying?

Lets put some figures into the light.

Many
Were bought outright through a business
Below market prices

Lets face it if people cant see the issue of usually older people hoarding all the housing stock and making it far more difficult for younger generations to get on the ladder then there isn't much hope. Those in power are all landlords anyway so expecting them to derail their own gravy train is unlikely. Many landlords seem to be stuck with a 1980s mindset about housing costs and the ratio to income these days, if all those youngsters just stopped buying coffee and avocado ey?

Lets face it if people cant see the issue of usually older people hoarding all the housing stock and making it far more difficult for younger generations to get on the ladder then there isn't much hope. Those in power are all landlords anyway so expecting them to derail their own gravy train is unlikely. Many landlords seem to be stuck with a 1980s mindset about housing costs and the ratio to income these days, if all those youngsters just stopped buying coffee and avocado ey?

Personally I just see a fundamental issue of people profiteering from a basic necessity. They do too, which is why they're being so cagey about numbers.

Farmers give you their milk and produce for free, yeh?
The price of milk has been kept artificially low for many years now, bad choice of argument. The issue isn't landlording per se, its the UK system of sucking all the wealth into the hands of a few. Honestly I just think it has gone too far with regards to housing.

Last edited:
Farmers give you their milk and produce for free, yeh?

Farmers generally don't make much on milk, and you aren't just paying for the product, you're paying for their labour. Simply owning cows doesn't generate income.

Last edited:
The price of milk has been kept artificially low for many years now, bad choice of argument. The issue isn't landlording per se, its the UK system of sucking all the wealth into the hands of a few. Honestly I just think it has gone too far with regards to housing.

Yeh but this is just nonsense, if you class landlords in the same category as the wealthy elite then you're quite confused buddy.

How do you think people bought those cows? ...with profit, yes?

Actually they're usually bought with debt, which is then paid off with the sale of the product produced via labour. The labour generates the capital, not the act of owning the cow, unlike owning a house.

You'd be surprised how little you need to be in the top 5% of this country.

Like that Northern bloke on question time who was earning £85k+ a year and thought he was in the bottom 50%? Lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom