The joy of being a landlord

That's quite a transformation, you've certainly got bigger cahones than me taking that on.
Is it rude to ask what the rental will be p/m considering the size of the place?

Is it rude to ask what the rental will be p/m considering the size of the place?

Its up at £625 p/m which for the area is at the high end of what it could command, however given how much interest is already there, could potentially get a little more. But the flat itself was only £60k plus £7.5k in work.

That's quite a transformation, you've certainly got bigger cahones than me taking that on.

Thanks, a lot of hard graft, a lot of deep cleaning, and long days, most of it just making the place suitable for trades to come in and do their work (electrical, plumbing, kitchen fitters) and the rest was just taking it a room at a time and dealing with what was found.

A few mistakes were made along the way but as its only my second BTL, happy to be learning them early on, it cost me ~£3k in those "lessons" so next time I know what to do and how to handle them.

Last edited:
Its up at £625 p/m which for the area is at the high end of what it could command, however given how much interest is already there, could potentially get a little more. But the flat itself was only £60k plus £7.5k in work.
Bloody hell, that's a decent return on investment.
I'm thinking of another rental, but I doubt I could match that.
Nice work :)

Bloody hell, that's a decent return on investment.
I'm thinking of another rental, but I doubt I could match that.
Nice work :)

Got the house at a significantly reduced price because the agent didnt show up to the block booking viewing.

Everyone else left and managed to talk the agent into giving me the keysafe code, let myself in had a nosey around and was the only person to stick an offer in!

@kindai clearly didn't get the note that BTL is a sure-fire way to lose money, and the poor, poor landlords are selling up in droves because they can't make ends meet...

Unless, that is, the people who said that were fibbing. Perish the thought.

Also shows how cheap it can be to buy a house still, if you move to an affordable area.

I guess the british do love a moan

Last edited:
Also shows how cheap it can be to buy a house still, if you move to an affordable area.
Absolutely, but despite that very thing being mentioned several times, some in here refuse to do so and continue to pay rent.
Still, gives them a reason to whinge and whine about it.

I guess the british do love a moan
But you might have to take a pay cut to move to an affordable area, or you might not be able to find work there at all. Making "affordable" entirely dependent on how you make your living in the first place.

Landlords can buy (additional) property in any part of the country without worrying about what the local job market (for their profession) is like. Working people who want to buy their first house don't have that luxury, now, do they?

BTL can work in certain areas, also it depends on circumstances.

For instance if you have a 9 to 5 job earning around the 40% tax threshold and then you buy a BTL, they will tax the turnover at 40%. You can't put mortgage interest as an expense anymore either along with a host of other limitations exclusive only to BTL.

So if you pay £700 per month for a 2 bed and renting it out for £1000 per month:

Total across 12 months
Mortgage: £8400
Rental income: £12000
Tax: £4800
Leaves you with £7200, BUT your mortgage is £8400
Profit: -£1200

If you want to make it work with the current interest rates then you either have to charge ridiculous rental rates which is not fair for tenants or do it under a limited company.

But you might have to take a pay cut to move to an affordable area, or you might not be able to find work there at all. Making "affordable" entirely dependent on how you make your living in the first place.
Sacrifice is required to get what you want in life.

Landlords can buy (additional) property in any part of the country without worrying about what the local job market (for their profession) is like. Working people who want to buy their first house don't have that luxury, now, do they?
I commuted ~200miles a day for a few years until I bought a house a mile from my office.

BTL can work in certain areas, also it depends on circumstances.

For instance if you have a 9 to 5 job earning around the 40% tax threshold and then you buy a BTL, they will tax the turnover at 40%. You can't put mortgage interest as an expense anymore either along with a host of other limitations exclusive only to BTL.

So if you pay £700 per month for a 2 bed and renting it out for £1000 per month:

Total across 12 months
Mortgage: £8400
Rental income: £12000
Tax: £4800
Leaves you with £7200, BUT your mortgage is £8400
Profit: -£1200

If you want to make it work with the current interest rates then you either have to charge ridiculous rental rates which is not fair for tenants or do it under a limited company.
Not quite right , you get a 20% tax credit on the interest . Absolute peanuts compared to 100% tax relief pre 2017 , anyone with spare cash was bonkers not to get a few renters.

Thats really not a good profit for that investment, a few percentage point changes and you’re running at a loss. Jeeze I’ve had more profit than that this year from my isa and bonds and that’s only 30k invested . You’ve not included service charge , ground rent , boiler maintenance, running repairs either.

Not sure of your purchase price there but you really want to be looking at an 8% yield on your investment or just don’t bother.

Last edited:
One less on the market for good tho, now.

Doesn't really matter given there is a shortage in general across rentals and properties for sale and council accommodation. One less available to buy but one more is available to rent so meh...

@kindai has added value by improving the property and turning it into a nice place for someone to live. Ditto to the Tiktok landlord who was getting dunked on on social media recently, he actually buys up properties and fully renovates them to a good spec then rents them out as individually let studio flats with some shared facilities... that's kinda needed, there is a demand for that and in that case, it's adding more bedrooms to the market/creating more "homes" (for people who only want a small studio/can't buy a house) as he converts the living rooms too.

The issue with UK housing is a supply issue.

Last edited:
*OUTRAGE ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOU EXCLUDE ENORMOUS EQUITY GROWTH

Yeah, that looks promising, especially given current interest rates:

The UK’s housing market is showing growing signs of stress, with mortgage lending collapsing to the lowest monthly level on record, and property valuations falling at the fastest annual rate in almost 14 years.

Figures from the Bank of England show borrowing of mortgage debt fell sharply in April, with consumers repaying £1.4bn more than was taken out in new lending on the month. The Bank said April’s figure, continuing a decline from net zero borrowing in March, was the lowest since records began in 1993, excluding the Covid pandemic.

Separate figures from the Nationwide building society showed that house prices fell in May at an annual rate of 3.4%, representing the sharpest fall since July 2009, when the British economy was grappling with the fallout from the 2008 financial crisis.

So... what equity growth? Most BTL mortgages are interest only too. You'd need quite a hefty yield if you're a high earner as someone already pointed out given the changes to mortgage interest tax relief.

So... what equity growth? Most BTL mortgages are interest only too. You'd need quite a hefty yield if you're a high earner as someone already pointed out given the changes to mortgage interest tax relief.
You think BTL landlords are cashing out on their equity "the following month"? :S

Back
Top Bottom