The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
I don't get this logic......... if it was the hobbiest landlord renting out HMO hell holes I would get it but (at least according to panorama I think it was) some of the big business companies are renting out disgusting hell holes .

I guess you would consider my wife and I hobbiest. we only have one property (the wife won't let me get another).. it's my wife's old flat she had before she met me.... I don't want to sell as will quite possibly go to our lad in 10 years or so (and if not will be a nice retirement vehicle) .

however I suspect out tenant who is on a hell of a good deal would not be happy if we sold ...

but how would it work? would you expect us to be forced to sell our flat? if so why? it's our property.
The logic is that the homes under the hammer brigade seem to get on a roll of property buying and renting, they can do this because of equity gained on existing properties and borrowing against it. I have no quarrel with accidental landlords.

Soldato
If you punish people for investing in a market they won't invest in it. If you think supply is bad now that will make it far worse.

When you say hobbyist you mean I assume small landlords. If so it's ironic to suggest they have some sort of economy of scale, some form of monopoly to set market price. While at the same time proposing large landlords big business who definitely will have the scale to do that, at least locally. They will be focused on the shareholder not the tenant. They go bankrupt just like everyone else.
How does that work out for housing associations? Actually and some hobbyists who agree a deal with the LHA who agree to supply tenants.
I don’t want anyone to go bankrupt I just want a level playing field.
A landlord versus a ftb is no contest in terms of being able to raise finance.

Soldato
A recession isn't going to make millionaires poor and poor people millionaires. If it reduces price of a house that millionaire is still going to outbid you.
Oh dear I meant there are a lot of ‘property developers’ who would call themselves millionaires because of their portfolio and in reality are rise in rates and other costs away from bankruptcy.

Soldato
So you are saying a person claming to be a millionaire through being asset rich is not as "true" a millionaire as one who is cash rich to the same level? That probably puts a lot of farmers and land owners in the poverty bracket :)
No you need to think a bit more
Actually i take that back, yes, and they would be happy to agree saying the need more subsidies or a larger pension.

But I actually meant highly leveraged millionaires.

Last edited:
Soldato
How does that work out for housing associations? Actually and some hobbyists who agree a deal with the LHA who agree to supply tenants.
I don’t want anyone to go bankrupt I just want a level playing field.
A landlord versus a ftb is no contest in terms of being able to raise finance.
The world is not fair. Someone with more money will be do more with it tham someone with less money. Usually.

Altuistic reasons for doing something are not a business.

Soldato
Oh dear I meant there are a lot of ‘property developers’ who would call themselves millionaires because of their portfolio and in reality are rise in rates and other costs away from bankruptcy.

From the last crash it become obvious that people who made a lot of money and lost it. Turned out to also be the same people best able to remake, recover that money. It's what they are good at.

If you are average Joe (and I include myself in this) you'll play it safe. You won't lose a lot of money. But you probably won't make a lot of money either.

Tbh if someone was so inclined they could still buy a cheap property somewhere unpopular do it up themselves and flip it. They'll already be doing this not hoping for the lottery of a recession.

Soldato
I had to section my tenants who went silent and didn't pay for months. No rent increase or anything.

A few months since I got it back, completely redecorated after they left it in an absolute state, on the market, snapped up and sold. The stress on my head and bank account has gone. Very happy I sold up.

It's crazy though, rents are nearly double now. But a rent is zero if they don't pay.
Yes, exactly.
I'm sorry you had to go through that, it can't be nice :(
The only thing stopping me selling is, as some tenants here have mentioned here is that it's someones home, and if I sell up, what is she going to do for a similar accommodation for the price she pays?
I've just had a look on rightmove and am shocked at the going rates, it's utterly insane!

Soldato
Yes, exactly.
I'm sorry you had to go through that, it can't be nice :(
The only thing stopping me selling is, as some tenants here have mentioned here is that it's someones home, and if I sell up, what is she going to do for a similar accommodation for the price she pays?
I've just had a look on rightmove and am shocked at the going rates, it's utterly insane!
This you?

Associate
So my Tenants failed to pay rent again this month :mad:

The Letting Agency managed to finally get hold of them to find out whats going on... turns out they've split up and he's moved out :eek:!!! Whats funny now is... he's the only one named on the agreement so she's not entitled to be in the house.

They both want to be out by October but they can't officially leave early until all their arrears are fully paid up.
If all goes well and he manages to clear his debt, we should get our house back 2 months earlier than expected meaning i can get it on the market before Christmas which would be nice.

Caporegime
My heart bleeds. It's such an injustice when you can't turn the least well off in society into a guaranteed, hassle free income stream, isn't it.

Let's not worry about the fact that these people have stacks of debt and probably struggle to put food on the table. No, the main concern is whether the landlord is going to have to do some work, and not get that endless low-effort income they're used to.

Oh, the humanity.

Soldato
My heart bleeds. It's such an injustice when you can't turn the least well off in society into a guaranteed, hassle free income stream, isn't it.

Let's not worry about the fact that these people have stacks of debt and probably struggle to put food on the table. No, the main concern is whether the landlord is going to have to do some work, and not get that endless low-effort income they're used to.

Oh, the humanity.
lol do you take that attitude with all debts? ie if a shop keeper was complaining about shoplifting........ would be you so flippant then because the thief may have lots of debt so tough titty if the shop keeper loses some money due to theft.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom