The joy of being a landlord

Caporegime
lol do you take that attitude with all debts? ie if a shop keeper was complaining about shoplifting........ would be you so flippant then because the thief may have lots of debt so tough titty if the shop keeper loses some money due to theft.
If somebody was nicking food because they were starving, I think most people would empathise with that.

And just like food, shelter is a basic human requirement. The fact that landlords are trying to profit from (the lack of) a basic life essential means that I have no problem with people who are at rock bottom, failing to pay their landlord. The landlords aren't on the poverty line.

Sadly, I'm one of those despicable people who doesn't believe your right to early retirement trumps meeting the basic needs of the populace.

Soldato
My heart bleeds. It's such an injustice when you can't turn the least well off in society into a guaranteed, hassle free income stream, isn't it.

Let's not worry about the fact that these people have stacks of debt and probably struggle to put food on the table. No, the main concern is whether the landlord is going to have to do some work, and not get that endless low-effort income they're used to.

Oh, the humanity.

If they have stacks of debts then they will never, ever manage a mortgage & property upkeep.

I have to presume that you'd prefer they were homeless.

I know several people in this situation & it's 95% of the time self inflicted. I know one with about £10k on cards just paying interest, car finance on a car they sold for £500 as the clutch went as they couldn't afford to fix it, and now she's had her dad get a loan for her to get a deposit together for another finance vehicle, meanwhile she's out 4 times a week & complaining she's skint.

Caporegime
If they have stacks of debts then they will never, ever manage a mortgage & property upkeep.

I have to presume that you'd prefer they were homeless.

I know several people in this situation & it's 95% of the time self inflicted. I know one with about £10k on cards just paying interest, car finance on a car they sold for £500 as the clutch went as they couldn't afford to fix it, and now she's had her dad get a loan for her to get a deposit together for another finance vehicle, meanwhile she's out 4 times a week & complaining she's skint.
No, the council should house them.

I see you're a classical "the poor have nobody to blame but themselves" type. "If only they'd stop buying PlayStations and Gucci watches!"

Soldato
If somebody was nicking food because they were starving, I think most people would empathise with that.

And just like food, shelter is a basic human requirement. The fact that landlords are trying to profit from (the lack of) a basic life essential means that I have no problem with people who are at rock bottom, failing to pay their landlord. The landlords aren't on the poverty line.

Sadly, I'm one of those despicable people who doesn't believe your right to early retirement trumps meeting the basic needs of the populace.
Oh, That basic human right thing again. Why do you think its ok to rent a house you cant afford when in reality they could rent a vary small bedsit much cheaper. Is it ok for me to steal from Harrods if I'm hungry. I mean, I can afford a meal at the cafe round the corner but I'd rather steal the decent stuff from harrods instead.

Soldato

yes because that is exactly why most people shoplift, and just like it is exactly the motivation of all people who dont pay their rent. :rolleyes:

your angst should be at the government not at landlords... but way to go gold star in completely swerving the real issue and passing the buck.

Last edited:
Caporegime
yes because that is exactly why most people shoplift, and just like it is exactly why all people dont pay their rent. :rolleyes:

your angst should be at the government not at landlords... but way to go gold star in completely swerving the real issue and passing the buck.
No, I like to direct my ire at people who choose to profit from the misery of others. Ie, landlords.

• Haha
Reactions: NVP
Soldato
OP
My heart bleeds. It's such an injustice when you can't turn the least well off in society into a guaranteed, hassle free income stream, isn't it.

Okay, I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is. You have a pension, right? That pension fund likely holds shares in properties or owns properties outright. So I challenge you to write to your pension manager and ask that all non-payments of rent are to be deducted from your pension.

Associate
So my Tenants failed to pay rent again this month :mad:

The Letting Agency managed to finally get hold of them to find out whats going on... turns out they've split up and he's moved out :eek:!!! Whats funny now is... he's the only one named on the agreement so she's not entitled to be in the house.

They both want to be out by October but they can't officially leave early until all their arrears are fully paid up.
If all goes well and he manages to clear his debt, we should get our house back 2 months earlier than expected meaning i can get it on the market before Christmas which would be nice.
Can't you offer to waive the rent owed if they get out now? Chances are that and any future payments are gone anyway. Also have you served a section 8 notice?

Soldato
Oh, That basic human right thing again. Why do you think its ok to rent a house you cant afford when in reality they could rent a vary small bedsit much cheaper. Is it ok for me to steal from Harrods if I'm hungry. I mean, I can afford a meal at the cafe round the corner but I'd rather steal the decent stuff from harrods instead.
There needs to be more social housing for people who can’t afford private rented. Of course as a country we seem to have decided not to build much of this.

Caporegime
your ignorance of the majority of landlords is spectacular!, as is your ignorance of the circumstances of the majority of tenants.
Yeah I know, all landlords are benevolent benefactors providing housing at near to cost for their tenants whom they love like family.

Landlords never exploit the less well off. That's unthinkable.

Soldato
There needs to be more social housing for people who can’t afford private rented. Of course as a country we seem to have decided not to build much of this.
i dont see a way around it either................. (unfortunately)

because imagine party X decide to invest a bunch of tax money on funding new builds for council rental properties. in the short term it would cost a fortune but i would be ok with that EXCEPT

5 years later party Y get it (why am i bothering... its labour and tories!) all they would do is sell them off again for naff all for short term monetary gain........

Caporegime
i dont see a way around it either................. (unfortunately)

because imagine party X decide to invest a bunch of tax money on funding new builds for council rental properties. in the short term it would cost a fortune but i would be ok with that EXCEPT

5 years later party Y get it (why am i bothering... its labour and tories!) all they would do is sell them off again for naff all for short term monetary gain........
The joys of FPTP.

Until we change that we're going to repeatedly lurch from shooting ourselves in the left foot, to shooting ourselves in the right foot, depending on which of those two is in power.

Soldato

Or you know private rents could just not be so absurdly high in comparison to mortgages. It is crazy that rent prices are expected to both pay off a landlors mortgage capital and provide a monthly profit on top.

Soldato
Yeah I know, all landlords are benevolent benefactors providing housing at near to cost for their tenants whom they love like family.

Landlords never exploit the less well off. That's unthinkable.
fantastic strawman right there.
but that said...... with Noakesy85 specifically you are getting your wish, he is getting out, along with many others. by your reckoning things are going to get so much better with fewer private landlords.

because large council backed rental companies are going to be so much better right? or alternatively just no rental properties at all... even better yet.

Caporegime
fantastic strawman right there.
but that said...... with Noakesy85 specifically you are getting your wish, he is getting out, along with many others. by your reckoning things are going to get so much better with fewer private landlords.

because large council backed rental companies are going to be so much better right? or alternatively just no rental properties at all... even better yet.
In the post-war period council houses were a source of pride. They were high quality compared to the slum housing (privately owned) that was seen as a huge problem by government.

The Tories have somewhat managed to convince people that all public sector companies and public sector endeavours are and must be a disaster, but it clearly wasn't always the belief (or the case in reality).

Soldato
The joys of FPTP.

Until we change that we're going to repeatedly lurch from shooting ourselves in the left foot, to shooting ourselves in the right foot, depending on which of those two is in power.
I agree.... however Labour have had the opportunity to change this in the past, and could do it next ...... but the truth is... (and yes i think they will be better than conservatives who i despise esp after the last getting on for 10 years) labour want all the power just as much as the tories do.

Soldato
Or you know private rents could just not be so absurdly high in comparison to mortgages. It is crazy that rent prices are expected to both pay off a landlors mortgage capital and provide a monthly profit on top.
A private rental property is a business, so it needs to make a profit. This is where social housing comes in to be the non-profit version of that.

Back
Top Bottom