The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
So landlording caused rents and house prices to rise for many years and, after totally ******* the market in that respect, we now get them ******* it all over again as they withdraw their capital?

Tell me: in what part of this scenario that you outline have landlords NOT been utterly disastrous for society?
House prices rising is far more complex than OMGZ Landlords.

I'm not even convinced it's a supply issue as houses stay on the market for ages here.

Brother in law has had his house for sale for over a year now, it was valued at £185k & he can't even shift it for £125k. I know loads of people renting because they can't buy, the reason they can't buy is they are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt, loans, have a car on finance & in two cases decided to start having kids whilst still on minimum wage school leaver jobs & are now stuck.

Conversely, my nephew did things properly. He & his girlfriend stayed with their parents until he got a job earning £30k at 21. Meanwhile they saved for 2 years for a deposit, they bought a new build last year for £200k still in their early 20's, they don't have credit cards & mountains of debt or expect everything handed to them on a plate.

Soldato
Tell me: in what part of this scenario that you outline have landlords NOT been utterly disastrous for society?
so what about the 100,000s of people who WANT to rent and dont want the hassle of buying ? someone has to be a LL and the government made it clear they do not want it to be them. (and before you say such a person does not exist and everyone really wants to buy......... that is BS)

for 5 years i didnt want to buy, whole parts of society are based around short term contracts funded by grants - for me that is scientific research. people move to an area for 1 - 3 years, do a job, then move on. This is not conductive to buying.

or what about those in training and what not.... loads of people are not ready to put down roots. someone has to rent to them, and if it isnt gonna be government why should it be massive corporations or rich land owners like Wellcome.

why not spread it to normal everyday folk, but hold them to good standards. This could run along side council provided properties for those who cant afford private....... but to blame private LLs for a lack of those is to blame the wrong people

Soldato
So landlording caused rents and house prices to rise for many years and, after totally ******* the market in that respect, we now get them ******* it all over again as they withdraw their capital?

Landlords aren't ******** all over the market, it's government policy that is failing renter's and buyers alike causing the problems.

Without private landlords there would be less rental stock and so higher rents. Oh look, like exactly what is happening now.

Caporegime
House prices rising is far more complex than OMGZ Landlords.

I'm not even convinced it's a supply issue as houses stay on the market for ages here.

Brother in law has had his house for sale for over a year now, it was valued at £185k & he can't even shift it for £125k. I know loads of people renting because they can't buy, the reason they can't buy is they are up to their eyeballs in credit card debt, loans, have a car on finance & in two cases decided to start having kids whilst still on minimum wage school leaver jobs & are now stuck.

Conversely, my nephew did things properly. He & his girlfriend stayed with their parents until he got a job earning £30k at 21. Meanwhile they saved for 2 years for a deposit, they bought a new build last year for £200k still in their early 20's, they don't have credit cards & mountains of debt or expect everything handed to them on a plate.
Living with parents is kind of having something handed to you on a plate though.

I assume they paid no/reduced rate of rent to their parents?
This is a massive massive hand out.

It can save 100s a month.
Its even bigger in London. You could get a London wage with no rent?
Could save for a deposit in a year with low/no costs

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's a polarising subject. Some of the rules I do agree with.
Epc should be brought up to a decent standard.

But just like myself (as an owner) there's no money in it. Only Loss. I'm not. Doing it to my house as I'll never get the ROI.

Soldato
I'd rather everyone owned one house and if there is a need for rented homes the government owned them
i would be ok with that too..... but that isnt the world we live in..... no one forced the goverment to sell all its assets and not build replacments.... they did that all on their own. Someone is going to rent out and i would rather it be individuals rather than a small number of rich people being even richer......

and before you say i should take a moral stance and give up my wifes flat and us lose a bundle on it (it wasnt bought as a rental it was her home).. i hope you also have the same more fibre and have made sure that none of your pension or savings money is invested in the property market.... because if it is that would make anyone saying that a total hypocrite.

Soldato
Kicking crap housing associations into shape, and getting rid of incompetent amateur landlords are not mutually exclusive.
but the trend on this form is that ALL landlords are incompetent scum.

getting rid of bad LLs i fully support in the same way as getting rid of bad tenants. punish slum landlords and force councils to look after crap tenants.

i can get behind that.

Soldato
Living with parents is kind of having something handed to you on a plate though.

I assume they paid no/reduced rate of rent to their parents?
This is a massive massive hand out.

It can save 100s a month.
Its even bigger in London. You could get a London wage with no rent?
Could save for a deposit in a year with low/no costs

And? What’s the problem here? Sounds perfectly sensible to me. If my child has an issue buying somewhere then I’ll be more than happy for them to stay at home while saving for a deposit. That’s being sensible

Caporegime
If some of the people constantly whining in this thread put a similar effort into bettering themselves and their careers then maybe their situation would be different.
"Why don't they just pull themselves up by their bootstraps?" sneered the Landlord.

Whilst himself sitting on a pile of bootstraps, and continually voting for a government that pledged to keep making bootstraps more expensive. The little guy had no hope of affording bootstraps, let alone pulling on them.

When asking about this, the Landlord replied, "Look, my job isn't to make society fairer. My job is to retire at 36."

Caporegime
And? What’s the problem here? Sounds perfectly sensible to me. If my child has an issue buying somewhere then I’ll be more than happy for them to stay at home while saving for a deposit. That’s being sensible

No issue. But it's a huge leg up. The post said that they didn't have any hand outs.
Living with parents is a massive hand out

I agree, it's great. I wish my parents would have let me do it.
But the amount they wanted, and the limited jobs in the area meant I had to move.

Many people don't have that option.

Last edited:
Soldato
so what about the 100,000s of people who WANT to rent and dont want the hassle of buying ? someone has to be a LL and the government made it clear they do not want it to be them. (and before you say such a person does not exist and everyone really wants to buy......... that is BS)
Government policy feeds landlords. They're an enormous voting bloc of about 4 million, more commonly living in battleground constituencies than the average.

Without such a huge group whose wealth is so very tied to house price rises, we might perhaps be able to actually have more council houses as policy.

It's all part of the same rotted ecosystem which landlords are a major, stinking part of.

Soldato
"Why don't they just pull themselves up by their bootstraps?" sneered the Landlord.

Whilst himself sitting on a pile of bootstraps, and continually voting for a government that pledged to keep making bootstraps more expensive. The little guy had no hope of affording bootstraps, let alone pulling on them.

When asking about this, the Landlord replied, "Look, my job isn't to make society fairer. My job is to retire at 36."
except that is BS , or at least a very rare dailymail type example.

i have never voted for this shower of a government, and franky do blame them for most of this mess....... for most of my working life i worked for a charity (i dont any more at the moment), not on minimum wage at the time but for a large part of it definitely closer to that than the uk average.

i am not bitching about that, it was my choice, i could have worked for GSK or one of the big pharma companies and earned more (but with a lot more stress).

just highlighting that your view on LLs is a gross misrepresentation.

Last edited:
Soldato
No issue. But it's a huge leg up. The post said that they didn't have any hand outs.
Living with parents is a massive hand out

I agree, it's great. I wish my parents would have let me do it.
But the amount they wanted, and the limited jobs in the area meant I had to move.

Many people don't have that option.
Your own parents wanted to charge you exorbitant rent in an area with poor wage prospects?

No wonder you hate landlords as your parents were obviously profiteering off you.

Caporegime
except that is BS , or at least a very rare dailymail type example.

i have never voted for this shower of a government, and franky do blame them for most of this mess....... for most of my working life i worked for a charity (i dont any more at the moment), not on minimum wage at the time but for a large part of it definitely closer to that than the uk average.

i am not bitching about that, it was my choice, i could have worked for GSK or one of the big pharma companies and earned more (but with a lot more stress).

just highlighting that your view on LLs is a gross misrepresentation.
I very much suspect it's true in the case of the person I replied to.

Caporegime
Your own parents wanted to charge you exorbitant rent in an area with poor wage prospects?

No wonder you hate landlords as your parents were obviously profiteering off you.

I don't hate landlords!
I've never said that.

It wasn't exhortationate rent. It was too much to make it worth staying.

Wasn't much more living away from home due to better job prospects, more freedom and less commute costs.

Soldato
I very much suspect it's true in the case of the person I replied to.
Dooood, I work in a back street garage in a pit all day getting covered in crap, and fwiw I didn’t vote conservative.
However, I did do a job I absolutely hated for a number of years so I could pay my mortgage off by the time I was 40, and that job very nearly put me in the ground, but ultimately it was worth it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Without private landlords there would be less rental stock and so higher rents. Oh look, like exactly what is happening now.

I don't quite understand this argument. Those houses wouldn't disappear. They would be owned by people.

You have 50 houses and 50 families that want those house. 25 are rented and 25 are owned. There is a 1:1 ratio of rented properties to people who want to rent.

You have 50 houses and 50 families that want those house. 15 are rented and 35 are owned. There is a 1:1 ratio of rented properties to people who want to rent.

I understand it isn't quite that simple but ultimately a house is a house and if a house goes from being rented to being owned and lived in by the owner then someone is removed from the rental market alongside the house.

The issue is fundamentally supply and demand and that supply and demand isn't nationwide. Its locational.

Back
Top Bottom