The joy of being a landlord

Soldato
right to buy could have been a really good scheme............... however not the way it was implemented (and certainly the conservatives would never have implemented it in the correct way).

but allowing a good long term tenant the ability to buy a house they lived in for a good price with savings made for them not having to pay all the solicitors fees and stuff could have been great (at cost to cover the fee of building another house).......... but this could only have worked if the money paid from it was ploughed back into building more houses (and that was never the goal of right to buy, as always it was a short term get rich scheme for the government to get a bunch of cash to do with what they wanted..

without that 2nd part however right to buy was a really terrible idea (despite my parents benefiting from it)

Last edited:
Soldato
right to buy could have been a really good scheme............... however not the way it was implemented (and certainly the conservatives would never have implemented it in the correct way).

but allowing a good long term tenant the ability to buy a house they lived in for a good price with savings made for them not having to pay all the solicitors fees and stuff could have been great.......... but only if the money paid from it was ploughed back into building more houses.

without that 2nd part however right to buy was a really terrible idea (despite my parents benefiting from it)
Yeah essentially if the building program was kept going, it probably would have worked out ok.

Soldato
you do realise your flat in the dead end of nowhere that apparently even the boat people don't want to live in isn't typical, or even the average for even the country as a whole let alone the majority that live in civilisation.

It's edge case after edge case trying to justify the norm.
It's not a flat, it's a 2 bed terrace 5 minutes walk from the town centre.

And people do want to live in it very much, as a rental property people fight over it pretty much & are willing to pay more per month than it'd cost to buy.

In fact as a rental property, it's only ever been empty for about 5-7 days between tennants. Tennants which seemingly can't get mortgages or don't want them.

Why don't you buy it off me & donate it to some poor soul?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But generally it's no good for this country to continue lurching from one ideology having full control to the opposing ideology having full control. It's bonkers, frankly. You wouldn't operate a company like that. It would be crazy, and continually waste money pulling in different opposite directions, before reversing course over and over. Which is exactly what we do as a country.
I hate to break this to you, but this is very often exactly how private companies operate.

Associate
You’re a very bitter individual. You should seek some help
yes, it's me that's bitter that would like to see the generations after me not getting screwed on the basics, unlike some here that seem to revel in others having it worse off than themselves with their gib remarks and poor excuses. wind your neck in a little.

Associate
It's not a flat, it's a 2 bed terrace 5 minutes walk from the town centre.

And people do want to live in it very much, as a rental property people fight over it pretty much & are willing to pay more per month than it'd cost to buy.

In fact as a rental property, it's only ever been empty for about 5-7 days between tennants. Tennants which seemingly can't get mortgages or don't want them.

Why don't you buy it off me & donate it to some poor soul?

and I could go on for a while, All STC all sold for way over 60k

either you're lying or it's a dump

Soldato

and I could go on for a while, All STC all sold for way over 60k

either you're lying or it's a dump

A dump that has people pretty much begging to rent? Sounds plausible.

There are unsold properties allover Worksop, just because you can find four that are sold subject to contract, one of which is up for auction, another being sold with a sitting tennant & another that i know for a fact has been on the market for best part of 2 years means diddly squat, that particular site has had that one up since last year.

Buy one & donate it if it bothers you so much, until you are willing to do that then don't expect others to give houses away for nothing when they move out.

Last edited:
Associate
Funnily enough, i know someone who is renting one of those & paying far more than the mortgage would be

The

A dump that has people pretty much begging to rent? Sounds plausible.

There are unsold properties allover Worksop, just because you can find four that are sold subject to contract, one of which is up for auction, another being sold with a sitting tennant & another that i know for a fact has been on the market for best part of 2 years means diddly squat, that particular site has had that one up since last year.

Buy one & donate it if it bothers you so much, until you are willing to do that then don't expect others to give houses away for nothing when they move out.
nobody asked you to give it away, you seem pretty unhinged from reality if that's what you took from it take a break you're acting very bitter man ;)

Soldato
nobody asked you to give it away, you seem pretty unhinged from reality if that's what you took from it take a break you're acting very bitter man ;)

Dropping the price lower & lower to an unreasonable level because nobody can stump up enough to get a deposit together or have such a poor credit history that no lenders will touch them instead of renting it to prevent loss of my own money is very much giving it away.

As I say, you are welcome to purchase the place & do the giving away yourself if that sort of thing floats your boat.

Associate
Dropping the price lower & lower to an unreasonable level because nobody can stump up enough to get a deposit together or have such a poor credit history that no lenders will touch them instead of renting it to prevent loss of my own money is very much giving it away.

As I say, you are welcome to purchase the place & do the giving away yourself if that sort of thing floats your boat.
It just comes across that you're very bitter that it isn't worth what you think it should be.... chill out, the world isn't against you. if what you claim is true, you are a massive outlier in property ownership over the last 20 years, be happy that makes you special :)

Soldato
yes, it's me that's bitter that would like to see the generations after me not getting screwed on the basics, unlike some here that seem to revel in others having it worse off than themselves with their gib remarks and poor excuses. wind your neck in a little.

Yes, it is you that's bitter. No one on this thread wants to see generations after us being screwed. You seem to have joined up just to spew vitriol. You have no solutions to the lack of housing in the UK and wish to take your weird frustrations out on an easy target. Reading back what you've written over the last few pages, you come across as quite deluded with little understanding of the world around you. All arguments opposing your view are either lies or just plain nonsense (according to you) as they don't fit in with your worldview.

Associate
Yes, it is you that's bitter. No one on this thread wants to see generations after us being screwed. You seem to have joined up just to spew vitriol. You have no solutions to the lack of housing in the UK and wish to take your weird frustrations out on an easy target. Reading back what you've written over the last few pages, you come across as quite deluded with little understanding of the world around you. All arguments opposing your view are either lies or just plain nonsense (according to you) as they don't fit in with your worldview.
while you only came in to shake your fist at the lay-abouts and throw insults about peoples mental health because you really have no substance and anyone not sharing YOUR world view is mental right. stay classy kid.

Last edited:

taB

taB

Associate
To me, all that @Iamzod has said is perfectly reasonable and I can't see why he's (assumption) getting a hard time from anyone. If I was put in the same situation I doubt I'd do anything differently.

Associate
To me, all that @Iamzod has said is perfectly reasonable and I can't see why he's (assumption) getting a hard time from anyone. If I was put in the same situation I doubt I'd do anything differently.
I'm honestly not trying to give him a hard time, it's just the ridiculousness of it somehow being the norm, that one case is some sort of gotcha that landlords in general are hard done by when it just isn't the case.

Everyone agrees government has failed, I even posted what COULD have been done despite some claims, but that's not interesting.

The fact is for most of the country we are probably past fixing things without hurting somebody, and it's never going to be the super rich so out of whose left and who benefited the most from the housing bubble it's going to be the smaller landlords for me every time. does it suck if you got on the property train late sure, does it suck if you didn't end up with the big growth in what you bought, of course, but what sucks more is your average renter being asked to foot the bill.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can everyone calm down a bit.

I don't know where the 425 rent is the norm, but around here that would likely get you a room in a shared rent, no way it's getting an actual flat. Around here £600 gets you a bedroom in a hmo or about a grand for a 1 bed flat.
I fear our tenant is going to be in for a shock unfortunately.... a large 1 bed flat in Cambridge at..... £640 PCM i think it is. She has been a good tenant but has recent;y asked for a new bathroom suite and new bay windows, which are now done.... but now the washing machine needs replacing and she has asked if we could consider fitting a new kitchen. Admittedly it is beginning to look a little tired but we had decided to wait till she moved out and then get all the work done and then put the rent up for a new tenant.

The reality is house shares in the area start at that price not full stand alone (and large) double bed flats..... So we will do the work but she is going to have to pay a little closer to average price for the area.

And whilst i am well aware people here will think this is outrageous and that she should have a shiny new modern flat at rock bottom prices... but the reality of the situation is she has been paying way below market value for years now for what is still an ok condition flat (it had new carpets and lino through out before she moved in and was fully decorated, as well as passed an inspection), we are not a magic money tree and whilst i dont need to make loads on it, i am not going to lose on it either.

we still wont go mental on the increase however she has only been able to get it this low for so long because we dont have a mortgage of note on it and because we knew the kitchen, bathroom and double glazing was a bit tired (but to be clear not a hovel) .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom